Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

mother-in-law's tank, three bettas dead, but one VERY healthy ADF

back in July we got my mother-in-law a 2.5 gallon fishtank with a halfmoon betta and an ADF. that betta died, and so have four others we've tried putting in there, all within a matter of days. at first i thought it might be radiation (her husband had just undergone radiation therapy and was warned to stay away from people and animals) but two died when that wasn't a problem. then i thought it was the food (she had the kind of betta pellets that plump up with water, so i was worried they were choking on them) so we bought her a different kind of food, but the fourth still died. it's not the temperature or water quality, because she's had the same ADF in there the entire time, and he's ridiculously healthy (growing like a weed, always active, nicely colored) it's not an infection or parasite because they never show signs, either in bodily appearance OR behavior, they just appear to be perfectly happy fish until one day they wind up dead. what else could it be?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 
babystarz

Have all the fish been from the same store? I worry that might be the common factor here.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Have all the fish been from the same store? I worry that might be the common factor here.
no, they were from two different stores, and at intervals where they wouldn't have been from the same shipment.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #4 
LizzyP

Don't ADFs need at least a 5 gallon tank? What are your water parameters? How often does she change the water?
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Don't ADFs need at least a 5 gallon tank? What are your water parameters? How often does she change the water?
i've actually had ADF's live very happily with bettas in a 3 gallon tank. she doesn't change the water maybe as much as she should, but if the water quality were the case, i'd think the ADF would be affected before the bettas, seeing as they don't have the protection of scales, and absorb a lot of water through their skin.