Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Cool Evolution of a used 10 gallon

so, i posted a few months back, that my uncle gave me my late grandmother's 10 gallon tank. it'd been neglected for months, and developed a bad case of algae soup at the bottom. the gravel was unusable, as were most of the decorations she had. i saved her favorite rock, though. couldn't trash that. :<

well, here was the tank the day i got it.

and i *finally* got around to finishing it up. scrubbed it again last night, and filled it up today. i decided against a filter, and will instead just do a boat-load of water changes. it's going to house one lucky lady-fish, whenever i can get the money to save one from the pet store(i say save, because wannabe breeders always buy them up. :I every week, they said, the same people buy up a bunch of females. ;n; )

it needs new light bulbs, but otherwise, it's fine. ONE spot of white.... whatever that crud is, that i couldn't scrub off(not even with vinegar. >:I), but that's back there, behind the red and green plant. :B and you can see my grandma's favorite rock, right there. :3 really looks great in the tank, yeah?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

Nice work on resurrecting that tank c: I'm sure that lucky lady fish is going to be happy with her new home when she gets it. Also the rock looks lovely in the tank :)
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 
Luimeril

thanks! it took A LOT of scrubbing. :I 'cause the algae had dried, then got wet, then dried again. 8I it's all STILL not gone, but it'll be fine. i got a sponge JUST for this tank now.

i just hope i can get her soon. xD i don't like leaving tanks set up empty for too long. i get antsy. doesn't cost TOO much, maybe i can talk my sister into getting me one for my birthday. xD
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #4 
LionCalie

Great job, it looks like a new tank! I love the gravel mixed with marbles.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #5 
Luimeril

i can't believe it myself! you can't even tell it was in such rough shape. :3

thanks! i wasn't too fond of the idea at first, but it looks great now. :3
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #6 
RedRaz

Great Job! You just flipped that tank from ewwww to beautiful! I am liking that rock. Very pretty! Is it an agate stone?
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #7 
Luimeril

i honestly have NO idea what it is. you can kinda see in that first pic, there were two rocks my grandma had in there. the second one is a very beautiful dark blue, but it cracked right in half when i was washing them. the edges are a bit too sharp for my liking, so it's staying out for now. the light blue was my grandma's favorite, though. so, i decided to keep in it there. :3
Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

It looks good :) Have you though about adding in some plants since you don't want a filter? I've done 10G's without filters before with 3 males - it's not too bad with a siphon. However I think I would of added in some low light plants, had I of know about them back then. Maybe some floaters since you don't have much of a substrate?

Quote:
every week, they said, the same people buy up a bunch of females. ;n; )
That does not sound very good for the females...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-02-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #9 
homegrown terror

stubborn white spots are probably just calcium deposits....not harmful to your fish, just kinda unsightly.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote