Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 
notsabrina

Unhappy First time seeing betta EAT his fins!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 85 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin color enhancing pellets, freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day, 3 pellets, fast Sunday's

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once per week or every 3-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Before I changed his water today it was .50 and then performed 75% change
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bit his fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Always on top or bottom of tank, hardly swims, very lazy, always still
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A couple weeks
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? N/A
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown

Today I came home from work and went to feed my betta. I usually feed him in the morning before work and in the evening after work. He's a halfmoon and lately I've been noticing its hard for him to turn fast. Anyway, I dropped him 2 pellets which he gobbled, and I turned for a split second to get one more pellet, and the next thing I knew I saw a huge chunk of fin in his mouth then it was swallowed. What should I do about regrowth?

I've read that stimulation outside of the tank can make a difference in a betta's happiness. I recently started a new full time job, so for 8-10 hours a day Finley is completely alone. By the time he sees either myself or my boyfriend, it's time for bed. Could this be the reason why he's been so inactive? I used to always be around when I wasn't working, watching him swim around.
Now he doesn't see people for majority of the day.

notsabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

how is the filter flow...?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #3 
snazy

0.50ppm ammonia means the filter is not cycled and the levels are lethal for fish. Make sure you are not washing the filter pads in tap water as this will cause the filter to be uncycled each time. Don't even wash them the first few months. Don't change the filter pads, they last for years. He is suffering from ammonia poisoning. How long have you had the filter and tank running altogether?
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #4 
notsabrina

The filter flows reallllllly slow. When it was new the current was heavy, but now it just comes out slowly. I swished it around in old tank water a few times. The tank and filter has been running for about a month and a half. The tank has also been cloudy the last 3 or 4 days, and I did a water change just a few days before yesterday as well. I assumed the cloudiness was bacteria bloom.

Should I be worried?!! I thought Finley just took a bite out of his fin on accident while he was turning to reach a pellet. He has never eaten his own fins before, so this is new behavior, unless of course it was an accident during feeding.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

H is a beauty....sounds like it might have been and accident so just keep and eye on his tail fin...Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #6 
notsabrina

Thank you! Your crowntail is gorg, I love blue bettas!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #7 
asukabetta

if he does it again, try rearraging decoration, or outside decoration, that should keep him entertained, sometimes betta's do this out of boredom, some because they are nervous, some do it cause it is genetic (especially those with very long flowy fins), while others do it because the fin gets in their face. Could be either, the real reason for whichthe betta's do it is unknown.

Especially Keep the water clean and his fins should recover just fine!
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #8 
snazy

Ammonia spike and cloudy water normally appear simultaneously so it was nothing healthy for the fish. You should be changing 80-90% of his water everyday until this tank cycles otherwise he'll bite his tail to the point it gets very infected and eventually die if you don't treat with the right medication.
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #9 
Shadyr

The only time my halfmoon turned tailbiter was definitely an environmental issue. I had taken him out of his tank on my desk and put him in a temporary tank at home so he could be fed while our family was on vacation. He did NOT like the change of locale, and by the time he came back to his tank, he'd ripped off about half of the top half of his tail.

Since returning to *his* home tank? Nary an incident. Sounds like others have pointed you toward possible causes of the behaviour. Just wanted to say, you aren't the only one. Chicory's tail is almost back to its previous glory. It will get better once you remove the issue!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote