Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 
NVGail228

Unhappy Divided tank debacle and female sororities

Hi. I've crrawled BettaFish site for several years but I've just registered. I have a couple questions and have included a brief description. My current household will soon total me, my Chinese Crested dog, and 4 male betta - 2 CT and 2 PK.

Got a new 10 gallon tank and divided it using the binder edge and #7 mesh method. Sealed it using a waterproof silcon product made by Crazy Glue. (No, NOT crazy glue. They just make this stuff.) Let it cure for over 24 hrs per instructions on package...added water and within one hour had floating dividers. The silicon failed. Thouht it would work since I've used it before in other applications. Any one got any suggestions. For now...I've just gotten a separate tank in which my new guy will live.

That leaves me with an empty 10 gallon tank. I've never tried a sorority before and am thinking about it but am worried that all the females might need to be put in the tank at the same time. Is that true? Or with lots of hiding space can I start with three and grow to 5 or 7?

I've kept betta for many years and have owned as many as 100 at one time (in 50 divided tanks). No, I don't breed...I'm just a little crazy (about bettas.) I'm (much) older now and live in a smaller place with less extra money so the days of true betta craziness are long gone. When my new male arrives that will make 4 total each in his own heated 2 gallon tank.

Now to fill that 10 gallon tank...divided for more males? for a sorority? Don't know yet until someone helps me out here.
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGail228 View Post
Hi. I've crrawled BettaFish site for several years but I've just registered. I have a couple questions and have included a brief description. My current household will soon total me, my Chinese Crested dog, and 4 male betta - 2 CT and 2 PK.

Got a new 10 gallon tank and divided it using the binder edge and #7 mesh method. Sealed it using a waterproof silcon product made by Crazy Glue. (No, NOT crazy glue. They just make this stuff.) Let it cure for over 24 hrs per instructions on package...added water and within one hour had floating dividers. The silicon failed. Thouht it would work since I've used it before in other applications. Any one got any suggestions. For now...I've just gotten a separate tank in which my new guy will live.

That leaves me with an empty 10 gallon tank. I've never tried a sorority before and am thinking about it but am worried that all the females might need to be put in the tank at the same time. Is that true? Or with lots of hiding space can I start with three and grow to 5 or 7?

I've kept betta for many years and have owned as many as 100 at one time (in 50 divided tanks). No, I don't breed...I'm just a little crazy (about bettas.) I'm (much) older now and live in a smaller place with less extra money so the days of true betta craziness are long gone. When my new male arrives that will make 4 total each in his own heated 2 gallon tank.

Now to fill that 10 gallon tank...divided for more males? for a sorority? Don't know yet until someone helps me out here.
I don't know about sororities..I haven't done one yet. But with my dividers I just cut them to fit really tight, and used binders on both sides and top for stability..and use the substrate to hold the bottom in place..they are not glued at all..just tight! I would divide the 10g for the males.
Oh, and silly me...welcome to the forum!!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

No, you do not need to get the girls all at once. However every time you add a new fish, you need to take the older ones out and rearrange the tank and then slowly reintroduce them all to the tank. The reason being is the older ones already in the tank will have established a pecking order and I think they also pick out territory in the tank. I would add the newest first and then go from least aggressive to most agressive. The most agressive will most likely be the alpha female.

Most people say you need at least 5 - the more you have the more the aggression is spread out so the same one isn't constantly picked on. I started out with 4 young females but one of them turned out to be a very young VT male. And then I found a CT female at walmart a few months later and then one of the babies from petco. After it grew up a bit, I added her to the tank as well. So I now have 6 in a 20G long *points to siggy*

You need to be aware that if you go this route, there is the possibility that one or more of the females will be too aggressive to live in a community setting. Females can be just as violent as males. However, out of all the females I have had - only one was too violent to live with others. And your success rate will be higher if you stuff your tanks with decor and plants. The less they see each other - the less they will fight.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #4 
NVGail228

Thanks for the welcome...I'll probably try the divide again. Will make them fit tighter instead of relying on the silicon as glue and keep my fingers crossed. Already have purchased a separate tank to set up for my soon to come new guy....but that just means I have a 10 gallon free and waiting for either 2-3 more males or a sorority. Oh, and I keep revising my betta description....1 HMPK, 1 DTHMPK, and 2 Crowntails...all male.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

This how I divided my 10g tanks...they only hold two males each, but the filter and heater space in the middle gives them both the same amount of room, and allows the filter and heater to work for both sides equally.
Name:  planted tank 002 (600x449).jpg
Views: 109
Size:  45.9 KB
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #6 
NVGail228

Good idea!

Great idea about the center space for heater and filter. Must cut down on the problem of one boy fighting the current while the other has dead calm waters. They'd have evener heat, too. You're a genius!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Great idea about the center space for heater and filter. Must cut down on the problem of one boy fighting the current while the other has dead calm waters. They'd have evener heat, too. You're a genius!
You also have less worry about aggression because they can't see each other at well, and if one happens to jump the divider he is actually trapped in the middle, so no unexpected wars lol.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 
NVGail228

My boy and I just wanted to thank you again, BettaNewbie60. Right now they're back in their original small tanks and I have enough #7 mesh to give it another go. I appreciate your encouragement.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
My boy and I just wanted to thank you again, BettaNewbie60. Right now they're back in their original small tanks and I have enough #7 mesh to give it another go. I appreciate your encouragement.
You are very welcome! I'm glad I could help...let me know how it goes. Remember with making the dividers, you can always cut a little more, but can't add any back, so take your time..measure, cut, put the sliders on..check the fit etc. I made sure all of mine also fit under that "lip" on the tank, this way you can have room for a lid. I've even made lids out of the mesh and binders, I just cut out spots for the filter/heater. Best of luck..I know you will get what you want!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #10 
NVGail228

One more question for BettaNewbie60...do you put one of the binder "edgers" on the top too to stiffen it? I don't think I see any up there and read one post that suggested doing that but I wouldn't think it was needed but if you think it's a good idea I'll be happy to try it.