Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Tetra 15 gallon aquarium kit= Annoying

Point in case: I'm about to purchase a Tetra Aquarium Success Kit 15 gallon...has aquarium, lighted hood, filter and heater in it. The problem is that both the filter and heater are for a max 10 gallon aquarium!!!! Why the heck did they put the wrong stuff in all the kits? And on the packaging it has the stuff that is in it pictured....but, it's not for anything higher than a 10 gallon. I'm most likely having to purchase a different filter and heater....so frustrating!! I mean the price is better than buying the tank and hood separately, but why not get their kits put together right?
Hopeseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
styggian

I have it and the filter sucks anyway. Hood and tank are excellent. I have a much better heater now, rated for 20-30 gal and a 30gal Marineland Biolwheel filter.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 
cp6445

Because they are either cheap or ignorant or both... Sorry for your frustration.

Does anyone know, are those pretty reliable parameters, ie is the filter and heater in that kit really not reliable for a 15 gallon, is that cutoff reliable or just a recommendation? I've considered upgrading my 10 to a 15gal and have wondered if my current filter and heater (recommended for up to 10gal) would really have to be replaced.
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #4 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
I have it and the filter sucks anyway. Hood and tank are excellent. I have a much better heater now, rated for 20-30 gal and a 30gal Marineland Biolwheel filter.
And the filter is a good filter? No problems with it? And fishies are fine with it?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 
styggian

The filter is too small, but my tank is a little overstocked between 8 females and a lot of ghost shrimp and a couple snails. It should be fine depending on how much you stock your tank. I have the filter that came with it in the second 15gal I bought for males, so each side has the same filter from the kit, and I have a Marineland Bio Wheel 30gal filter from Petco. I'd upgrade the filter eventually but it will be fine for now.

For the heater, I found that when it got really cold outside, my tank temp dropped as well. I lost two petco baby bettas because the temp dropped from 78* to 70* over night. I got a new heater rated for a 20-30gal tank and it's been a lot more steady and even without fluctuation.

Both will be fine for now, but I'd consider upgrading both later. I've had no problem with the tank and hood, the light works great.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
The filter is too small, but my tank is a little overstocked between 8 females and a lot of ghost shrimp and a couple snails. It should be fine depending on how much you stock your tank. I have the filter that came with it in the second 15gal I bought for males, so each side has the same filter from the kit, and I have a Marineland Bio Wheel 30gal filter from Petco. I'd upgrade the filter eventually but it will be fine for now.

For the heater, I found that when it got really cold outside, my tank temp dropped as well. I lost two petco baby bettas because the temp dropped from 78* to 70* over night. I got a new heater rated for a 20-30gal tank and it's been a lot more steady and even without fluctuation.

Both will be fine for now, but I'd consider upgrading both later. I've had no problem with the tank and hood, the light works great.
So you think it'll be fine for a start and throughout the cycling? I'm planning on once I have all the substrate, caves and live plants, cycling it for at least a month before getting any of my girls. I just recently bought an API freshwater test kit and am planning on keeping an eye on everything, once it's up and running.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
So you think it'll be fine for a start and throughout the cycling? I'm planning on once I have all the substrate, caves and live plants, cycling it for at least a month before getting any of my girls. I just recently bought an API freshwater test kit and am planning on keeping an eye on everything, once it's up and running.
Yes, I think that will be fine for now. If you upgrade the filter, you can move the filter media over to keep the bacteria and seed the media of the new filter so your cycle isn't disrupted.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #8 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Yes, I think that will be fine for now. If you upgrade the filter, you can move the filter media over to keep the bacteria and seed the media of the new filter so your cycle isn't disrupted.
Not planning on getting a Tetra brand filter, So maybe I should just start out with the one I want....not too sure that brands are interchangeable....all the filter medias are kinda different, depending on brands.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 
styggian

Usually you can stuff the filter in behind the second filter's cartridge. I've put in ceramic media in a mesh bag so I can move them around as much as I like.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #10 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Usually you can stuff the filter in behind the second filter's cartridge. I've put in ceramic media in a mesh bag so I can move them around as much as I like.
Oh, ok! Will ask you questions about it later....don't even have the aquarium, yet, Or even a cleared out space to set up as of yet. No stand/table, either. I pretty much have none of the stuff for my sorority, except as much knowledge as I can soak up from this website!!!