Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #1 
Dokumen

Nitrites too high in tap water!

My son ''won'' a betta fish at the fair yesterday, so I've had a crash course in fish care, and specifically, caring for bettas.

I've set up a 5 gallon tank, some live plants (they're soft, won't tear fins), aquarium gravel, and a couple of ornaments (again, no sharp or rough parts on those either). I bought a 10W aqueon mini heater, which I've turned off because it was getting hotter and hotter (it reached 83) -- it doesn't have any sort of temperature gauge apparently. But the ambient temperature is 80 degrees, and the fish bowl currently reads 82. There's a filter, and the fish doesn't seem to mind it. I added a water conditioner that reduces chlorine, ammonia and chloramine(?).

The nitrates are fine (0), and so is everything else according to the test strips except the nitrites. Those are .5. But here's the problem, when I tested the tap water straight from the tap, the nitrites in that were too high. So I can't bring the nitrite level down to normal by adding more water!

I don't know what to do. I can't afford to constantly use special betta water to fill the 5 gallon tank, and even bottled water adds up.

Any ideas? My fish is very active. I don't know whether it's because he's not used to such a big space, or whether he wants to get out... he's not coming up to the top all the time though, just occasionally to breathe.
Dokumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

plants in there are good. do you know what kind of live plants you have? these will help absorb nitrites.
if you can find the water conditioner by seachem, called Prime. purchase it, and double dose when changing the water. it will lock the nitrites for up to 48 hours. during which time the plants will help process it.

the good news is, with nitrites in the water, your tank will cycle faster.

few important things about getting the tank to cycle..
Do not change the filter media!
do not turn off the filter for more than an hour!

XD

you are also better off with a liquid test kit. the freshwater master test kit by API is sold online for $19 i think.... buy $6 more stuff and get the free shipping...

I do recommend you to return your current heater, and get the adjustable one by hagen elite. (it says preset, but is actually adjustable)
The 25w or the 50w, either will work. 50w is cheaper for some reason.

do you already know the proper water change schedule, way to prepare water for changing and feeding schedule etc?

if not I'll fill you in in the next post
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #3 
Dokumen

Re water, no, I don't know what to do. I've read anything from 100% once a week to 15% once a week, but since there are nitrites should I be doing it every day?

I bought betta pellets and fed it 4 today, we've also got dried bloodworms. The food packet says to feed it 4-6 pellets twice a day, but everything I've read on the internet says once. I'm confused about that too! It seems like 4 is an awfully small amount! I don't want to starve the poor thing but I know over feeding is bad.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Also, is it ok that the fish is swimming around so much? I mean, since we put him in his tank (about 5 hours ago), he's swam almost constantly with only a few short rest periods... whereas before he sat in the bottom of the pot we got from the fair and barely moved. I'm not sure whether he was depressed then or whether he's frantically swimming around now because he's upset. Any ideas?

Last edited by Dokumen; 10-02-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

:) dont panic...
so what plant do you have again...?
does your tank come with a light?

Water changes:
basically a 50% everyweek for a normal filtered 5 gallon
make sure new water temperature an old water temperature are the same. adjust temperature from tap...
since ur using room temperture water right now. I recommend having a bucket you can let water sit and the water chemistry even out...
further reading here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

I do recommend geting prime as soon as possible and using that until your tank cycles.

feeding is 2 pellets in the morning and two at night. what brang of food dis you purchase?

edit: and about that excited fish :D he's probably just loving all the space right now
Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #5 
Dokumen

I don't really remember the plant types :( One has long, oval leaves and the other has small, wispy leaves. They're Topfin brand from Petsmart, they come in little plastic tubes with gel that you rinse off.

The tank does have an LED light above the fish. I've turned off now though, seems like he might want a rest at night?

I'm feeding him TetraBetta pellets.

I think I bought some Seachem Prime tonight from Petsmart. I'll check in the morning, it's still in the car... :)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

oO
XD pics of the plants might help ID . lolol
but petsmart plants a usually pretty healthy in my experience.