Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Help me please betta pales at night!

Hello! I hope you can help me, this is my first time I have a betta, but I did extensive research before purchasing.

His name is Blueberry and is about 3 weeks old (in my house) and has been upgraded from a 2gallon bowl to a 2 gallon tank about a week ago or so (bowl was temporary till i found a tank that was decent and had the money for it)

He has a heater, light but no filter (I tried but it shook up the water too much and the betta didn't like it one bit.)

I do partial changes everyother day and full water changes once a week. using tap water with conditioner

His parms are normal, the temperature is constant at 75 farenheit. He doesnt seem to have any fungus, parasites or bloatness.

He does have some fin rot (i believe) but i have been putting a bit of salt to help the curing process, he had it from the store already.

However, ever since he was in the tank, as soon as I turn off the light for the night, the next morning he is all pale with his stress line visible.

At first i thought, it might be the cold, as leaving the light on, he quickly recovers his color (in an hour). But the temperatures remain stable thanks to the heater I bought him.

I do not know why he pales without light and with light he thrives. Is he scared of the dark???

He eats normal (pellets and dried blood worms) except when pale in the mornings (I need to wait till he calms down), acts normal, no clamped fins, stays on top of the tank, moves around, reacts to movement (says hi to me in front of the tank).

I honestly have no idea, but this has started with his tank, before in his bowl he never did this. I love animals, I wish I could have a 5 gallon tank but it won't fit in the house for now. Been taking pictures of him every other day to see his fin rot progress and any illness signs

Please help me.

Here he is in his previous bowl:

In the tank:

In the morning

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

some fish lose their colors at night and regains them when the lights are on... as long as he regains color and is flaring, he will be fine...
make sure your plants are OK with salt (you can google "brackish plants"
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #3 
asukabetta

Question

Thanks for the fast reply, are you sure its fine? Im a little paranoid as in the bowl he didnt pale at all.

Also the salt i put is a minimum amount, my one live plant doesnt seem to mind it at all. Resistent little bugger, its funny i was sp worried about the fish i forgot about the wellbeing of the plant lol.

It also shows stress stripes when it pales, is that normal when they pale due to lack of light or is it really stressed?

Also about the fins, it is fin rot correct? Does a sress coat apart from the aquaro salt help the healing??

Sorry for all the questions, i really just want my betta to thrive xD
Old 10-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #4 
Withered

I'm not really sure why he would be pale, he's a beautiful looking betta though. It does look like the fin is torn a little, but it could also be from his fins snagging on the deco/plants in your tank. Do you have any plastic plants? I can't tell if the ones in the picture are plastic or silk. If they are plastic, I would recommend taking them out and replacing them with silk or live plants. Also, stress coat does help with healing damaged tissue, so yes, it's okay to put AQ salt and stresscoat in to help with the fin healing.
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

he could just be stressed, betta cant see at night.... maybe something in his environment makes him feel... exposed? I dunno...
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withered View Post
I'm not really sure why he would be pale, he's a beautiful looking betta though. It does look like the fin is torn a little, but it could also be from his fins snagging on the deco/plants in your tank. Do you have any plastic plants? I can't tell if the ones in the picture are plastic or silk. If they are plastic, I would recommend taking them out and replacing them with silk or live plants. Also, stress coat does help with healing damaged tissue, so yes, it's okay to put AQ salt and stresscoat in to help with the fin healing.
Thanks, actually there were prettier ones but somehow this betta called out to me more than the other flashy ones, he has a great curious personality and loves watching gangnam style lol ( i wondered if hed pay attention to my phone screen if put a video on it). His fins were like that from the store, i checked the decoration by running a thin stocking to make sure it wouldnt tear the bettas fins, i have 1 plastic plant, a cave with some leaves and a live plant. I always checked the decoration and been observing him for any new tears, so far nothing new, i am aware of silk plants being better but im trying to replace them for real ones as they help with the oxygen and he seems to like them a lot

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-02-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
he could just be stressed, betta cant see at night.... maybe something in his environment makes him feel... exposed? I dunno...
I placed the decorum to give him plenty of hiding spaces, perhaps i should leave a low light on? So its still dark but not so much? What else can cause a betta stress apart from water conditions

By the way thanks for helping me out :)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #8 
snazy

Do you have a thermometer to confirm that indeed the temperature doesn't drop/fluctuate a lot when the lights are off. Do you see the heater light on during the day when the light is on?
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #9 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazy View Post
Do you have a thermometer to confirm that indeed the temperature doesn't drop/fluctuate a lot when the lights are off. Do you see the heater light on during the day when the light is on?
Yes i checked it, the heater autoregulates but i still keep an eye on the thermometer, i use a light with led bulbs that dont emit heat, i talked to the pet shop keeper he said maybe the betta is stress bu the abrupt changes of light. Dunno if this is true, but if it is, any ideas to reduce this kind of stress?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #10 
snazy

Try leaving the roome light on with the tank lights off at night just to see if it makes a change. Can you post a picture to show how pale he goes? Are you keeping him in a container where there is lots of surface area in case he can't breathe at night properly if he can't see where he's going?
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote