Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #11 
sunlight

is his bloating better when you fast him? I would think if he is bloated after you fast him then something is going on. If he is bloated after you fast him and if he has white poo, which is possible due to stress though, i would think he might to have internal parasites. And i would treat him with epsom salt 2-3 tsp/gall and medications.
So if you not sure about poo i would definitely check. If it indeed internal parasites fish deteriorate fast and you need to act fast.
Also symptoms for the internal parasites discoloration of the stomach, bloating, poo white....
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #12 
sunlight

also you saying he is darting a lot , does it looks like he trying to rub his body against something?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #13 
Withered

Well I had something posted and then my internet went out. He seems to bloat up alot after I feed him. I had fasted him on Sunday and his bloat seemed to go down a little, and then I did a water change yesterday and had fed him 2 pellets and he seemed to bloat up again. Could he be bloating from stress?

It doesn't look like he rubs up against things, he was just darting and bumping into things but not that often. If he poops tonight i'll get a good look at it and see if it's stringy and white.

Do you think I should add some general cure to his little cup, or just leave him in the epsoms treatment and see how his poo looks and make a judgement from there about adding more general cure?
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #14 
sunlight

i would check his poo first. Because if his poo brown color,short string or ball shaped then he probably don't have internal parasites. Make sure it not white,clear wormy shape. So i don't want to use medications until you know what is going on.

But diffenetelly do epsom salt 2-3tsp/gall.
The water that you are using it spring water right? Make sure it not distill water because this can be the reason he is sick. And i would really find out if you can use your tap water. Just need to take tame to acclimate him.
So let check his poo first.

Also i am really agree with everything Myates wrote ph and Easy.
I never had any ph problem but like Myates wrote bettas will adjust to it . And i did mixed tap water and spring water before for short period of time (4-5 month) with no problem but again i didn't have ph issue so not sure if it helps.

Last edited by sunlight; 10-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #15 
Withered

I fed him one pellet this morning and he ate that. He only pooped a small amount and it didn't look white, it looks more of a tan color to me and it doesn't look wormy. He doesn't really look any better...he's floating on his side now at the bottom of the cup as opposed to belly up on top, so I don't know if that is an improvement or not. However, it looks like there is something white on his gill now. I can't really tell because I don't have his light on in his tank so he can get some rest...but it sure looks white to me. I have to go to work now till like 7pm...so I hope he's still alive when I get home. :( I wish I had access to some Indian Almond Leaf but I live in a small town and our Pet Store is really crappy.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #16 
sunlight

it good that he eating though.
Not sure what white is. Is it fuzzy? White can be fungus, just excess of slime coat, or external parasites.
Check on that white thing when you come home. It just my concern that you wrote that he is darting and a lot of time fish will dart if they have external parasites. So if you can take flashlight and shine on him and see if he has white spots on his body or if he looks like he sprinkled with salt , or if it looks like his body covered with a fine gold or rust mist.
I have a few IAL i can mail them to you.
Until we don't know what is white keep him on epsom salt,stress coat.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #17 
Withered

So i'm on lunch break now, he looks worse. He's just sitting at the bottom of his tank..his color is bad and he's breathing hard. He looks like my fish Jack did before he died so i'm not really holding on to the hope that he'll make it. It seriously sucks. I would get the IAL from you but by time it got here he'll probably be gone and I don't plan on getting any more fish after this since all it seems I can do is kill them and I hate seeing them suffer. I feel like I have a black cloud over my head and can't do anything right when it comes to fish as much as I try. Someone else could put a fish in awful water for weeks and it would probably thrive. Haha. Sorry, i'm just upset. It seems like I try everything and nothing works and I just wanted to have a happy and healthy fish.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #18 
Withered

Thank you for the help though, I do appreciate it!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #19 
sunlight

so sorry it not you. And it happen to everyone. I know a lot of people and i mean a lot who had not even 2 bettas died but 4 in a row. You don't have black cloud you do your best. And that is why this forum has so many people and all have problem , so don't blame yourself. I brought sick betta from the store too.
Please try to do 100% water change now.
Please tell me about white that he had before
Do you see anything on his body?
What is that white that you saw in the morning?
Is there anything else on the body?
Somehow i think may be he has external parasites. Do you have aquarium salt?
I know it upsetting it ok. You do a lot for him it really not you. Please if you can answer questions.

Last edited by sunlight; 10-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Hi withered. It sounds like your boy may have a really nasty secondary internal bacterial infection, judging from the bloating and the graying belly and his swim bladder problems. He may have started out with external parasites but it sounds like the little bites they leave might have gotten infected.

Because he's so severely bloated, I'd recommend you put him in 3 tsps of epsom salts per gallon in a shallow container so he can breathe easier. If you'd like you can try to treat him with an antibiotic like API Furan-2 or better yet, Seachem Kanaplex but I'm not sure if it will help the poor guy at this stage.

Try to keep his water as warm as possible, at 78-80 F.

I'd also recommend that you switch to your tap water. Unless your tap water is just so goshawful that even YOU can't use it, it's always best to use water from the faucet along with a good conditioner like Seachem Prime that detoxifies heavy metals and chlorine/chloramine. The problem with using bottled water is that often, a lot of the vital minerals that are in it have been removed. Most people who use bottled water, water-softened water, or R/O water have to remineralize it with a supplement like Kent's R/O Right.

I hope your little guy pulls through. I'm rooting for you. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote