Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #21 
Withered

Well I just got home from work and he moved from his place on the bottom of his cup and looked at me. His color looks a little better, but he's still just floating there on his tail like he's actually sitting down with his head up. I don't know why he does this and it scares me when he does, but his body is a little deformed so I think it's hard for him to stay upright for long periods of time plus the swim bladder isn't helping. His belly looks a bit better and I fed him another pellet just a few minutes ago, which he ate. The white doesn't look fuzzy and it was by his gills, but i'm thinking maybe it's just because he is stressed out. I am going to do as much of a water change as I can without moving him from the cup for stress reasons. He still hasn't pooped since last night. I do have AQ salt, but if he's bloated, I hear that AQ salt only harms more then helps.

Sakura. You helped me when Jack was sick and i'm still greatful for that. I do have him in a floated container with some veggie wrap on the top like Old Fish Lady suggested in another post I read trying to find out more info. I have him in a mixture of 3tbs of epsoms but I mixed half tap water and half bottled because I really think that my tap water is harming him since it's super hard water and the ph is pretty high. I thought maybe mixing the water would help lower the ph a bit without having to put the easy balance in it. I wish I could get those antibiotics but i'd have to get them online and in the week it takes to ship them here...he might be gone by then so I don't know if I should. I have API General Cure, API Fungus Cure and Maracyn 2 on hand right now if any of those would help. I wanted to get IAL but it might take too long for it to get here. I hope he pulls though though. I don't want to have to bury another fish. I really love this little guy and he was so beautiful when I got him. I just want him to be healthy and happy again blowing his bubble nests like he did when I first got him.
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Withered, has he always sat on his tail like that? Can you describe how he swims? Can he swim easily or does he sometimes almost hop around when he swims, like he can't control his back end?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #23 
Withered

He has been sitting up like that for a couple of weeks now but usually he hides under the bridge in his tank at a weird angle because it's like he can't hold himself up so he needs something to balance himself on if that makes any sense. He didn't seem "that" bad when I first got him, but he's always had trouble swimming. It is kind of like a hop..like he'll swim and stop a little and swim and he swims head down sometimes, especially when he is bloated.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #24 
Sakura8

He may have a genetic swim bladder deformity, possibly from poor breeding. When he gets bloated, the bloating puts further pressure on his organs and makes his swimb bladder even worse.

3 tblsp of epsom? How big is his tank again? It should be 3 tsps.

Most bettas adjust to any pH. The ony kinds of bettas who have any trouble with high pH and hardness are crowntails, because it makes their fins curl and warp. My pH is 7.8 and all of my bettas are doing okay. However, if you don't want to use just tap water than I would definitely suggest using half dechlorinated tap water and half bottled water. This way the water will still have the necessary minerals.

Unfortunately, none of those meds will help him right now. General Cure and Fungus Cure are both for external parasites/external bacteria and Maracyn 2 won't work in high pH and will cause more damage to his kidneys.

Do you have access to any naturally dried oak leaves? If so, you can use those as a source of tannins for him. Just rinse the leaves off and crumble into his tank.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #25 
Withered

I may try to get some IAL off of E-bay or somewhere anyways just in case he does pull through and tough it out. I'm sorry...I get tbls and tsp mixed up and sometimes I type tbls instead but it was 3tsp measured out into a gallon jug of water. Half tap, half bottled treated with prime. I also put some Nutrafin Betta Plus in there because it claims to have Tropical Almond Leaf extract and I thought that might be good for him to have. I DO think he has a genetic issue and maybe thats causing him more stress. Is it OK for him to be sitting up like that though? I'm not sure if I have any Oak Leaves anywhere around here. I'm sure there are some, but I wouldn't know how to spot one even if there were..>.<

Also I have him in the small cup right now floating in his tank. I did about a 65/75% water change just now and it still seemed to stress him out a little.

Last edited by Withered; 10-03-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #26 
Sakura8

I have a handicap betta who sits on his tail because his back end is completely paralyzed. He is my happiest betta. I don't think your guy's problems are related to his sitting on his tail.

The Nutrafin Betta Plus can only help. :)

If you order from e-bay, the best one is Amy Ketapang. Problem is she's in Singapore so it'll take almost a month to get here. :( Let me know if you want me to mail you some.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #27 
Withered

I am in New Mexico so Cali to NM shouldn't take too long. I will PM you my information. Thank you so much! The fact that your Betta sits on his tail and is doing just fine gives me hope. I would much rather try the IAL in his water then meds because it seems like meds just hurt more then anything sometimes. Also, if he gets better after the treatment, should I continue putting some epsoms in his regular 3 gallon tank to help with the bloating issues or is it not good to use it over the 14 days?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Yes, sometimes overmedicating can be just as harmful as not medicating. And epsom salts can be used indefinitely with no harm.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #29 
Withered

Ugh, he looked like he was getting a little better...and I just looked at him and he got up and started darting around and bumping himself against the walls of his cup. Maybe he does have some parasites, but I don't know if they are external or internal. Should I try to put the General Cure in there or wait till I receive the IAL and pray that he makes it until then?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #30 
Sakura8

Can he swim properly? I mean, he didn't suddenly stand straight up on his tail or start spinning out of control or anything like that did he?

If he rubs and darts a lot and his fins are clamped and he's lethargic, it could be external parasites. But unfortunately, sudden bursts of really erratic swimming can also mean the organs are beginning to shut down. :(