Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #31 
Withered

He was swimming up to get some air and then it just looked like he got scared and he started darting around and bumping into the walls of the cup, kind of like he didn't know they were there. I can't really explain it. He's been sitting on his tail all day though, so he didn't just suddenly start doing that. I was really hoping he would hold out till I got the Almond Leaf from you but if his organs are shutting down, I don't know how much good it will do even if I do get it in time. So frustrating!!!

I have a friend who was taking care of someones Betta for them and they had the Betta in a glass vase with no heater/filter and just marble rocks for decoration...only change his water every other week or so, and don't acclimate him back into the new water...they just pour him back in with part of his old water...and he's survived for years. I don't understand? I do everything I can and my fish dies, but someone else can neglect a fish and it lives for years. It's really upsetting. :( Makes me wonder if doing so many water changes all the time is the cause because they get too stressed out and then they get sick because of the stress.
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #32 
Sakura8

If he's still with us right now, then it probably wasn't organs then, thank goodness. They usually get all weird and jerky right before the end. Happened to me with a really sick betta from Wal-Mart once. Maybe your little guy really did just get a sudden itch. I wish these little fish could be more clearcut about their symptoms. o.O

Here's one thing you can do. After you do a water change that gets the ammonia in his tank back to 0, test for ammonia every day. Keep track of the days until you get a level of 0.25ppm. The amount of days that it takes for the ammonia to get from 0 to the danger zone will be how long you go between water changes. That way, you don't have to do any unnecessary changes that may be stressing him out.

Another way to keep water changes as stress free as possible is to use a gravel vacuum/siphon. With this, you can suck out all but an inch of the water while still leaving him in the tank. No stress of being cupped and removed.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #33 
Withered

He is still alive this morning thank god. He didn't look good when I first looked at him though, but he's perked up a little since and was swimming around in his cup and looking at me, and he ate the pellet I put in there for him. It worries me that he hasn't pooped though since tuesday night even though he's in the epsom mixture...but he hasn't been floating at the top of the cup on his side anymore which is good I think? If he IS going to die, which I seriously hope he pulls through because he seems like a fighter, but if he is...then at least if I get the IAL before he does...maybe it will help him to relax and make him feel a little bit better and ease the passing. I really really want him to pull through though so i'm having some faith...even though he scares the crap out of me when he just sits there looking at me like..HELP PLEASE!! :(
Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #34 
Withered

Also, I noticed that his temp was about 81 when I went to bed last night...but during the night it'll drop down to 78-79 even with the heater in there...and even if i turn up the heater some. Will this hurt him or is a few degrees drop not a horribly bad thing? I mean...it DOES stay in the range of 81-78 consistantly....and usually during the day it stays stable.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #35 
sunlight

oh withered i am glad he still with you. I think temperature issue is fine since it dropping gradually.
I take heater out in the summer time from all my tanks and temperature fluctuate about even 5* but because it gradually they all fine.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #36 
Withered

Thanks sunlight! I am home for lunch and he got up and was swimming around a little more so hopefully he's comming out of it. I'm trying to have faith here! The only thing i'm worried about his him not pooping...could it be possible he's eating his poop? Since i'm not here all day I can't check on him all the time to see. I didn't think the 2 degrees difference in temp would be that big of a deal since I am sure even in their own climate it probably drops a bit at night...but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #37 
sunlight

When is last time he poo though?
I wish you can find frozen daphnia in the store, it really helps if he is constipated.
Not sure if betta eats his own poo. I know my bettas sometimes take it thinking it food and then spit it out. I would think he just didn't poo:(
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #38 
Withered

The last time he pooped was on Tuesday night. I wish I had access to some as well. I could order it online but it would take about a week to get here. If he starts showing signs of improvement I may go ahead and purchase some. He does seem to be improving some, and I want to get my hopes up...but I'm afraid to.

Does the frozen daphnia need to be kept in the fridge? If so...how would they ship it to me if it needs to be kept cold?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #39 
sunlight

You sure you don't have it in the pet stores? I never order daphnia but i would think they will use may be dry ice? Not sure may be you can find phone # and call them before shipment.
I hope/wish he can survive.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #40 
Withered

I only have one pet store here and it only carries a couple of things for fish. The only food i've seen there for bettas is flakes, and i've long since stopped feeding him those since all he ever did was spit them out. I'm wondering if it would be okay to put a decoration in his little cup so that he can have something to rest on. It doesn't seem like he is comfortable floating on his tail and putting something sturdy in there he could lean against might help him rest a little. He's swimming a little more today though..I hope that is a good sign. Keeping my fingers crossed that he'll pull through! I'm almost wanting to put him back in his 3 gallon so he can hide under his bridge and get some rest...but I don't know if that would be a good idea or not. :(