Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #51 
sunlight

He is so cute! How you going to change his water in 3 gall?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #52 
Withered

I'll probably just keep him in the cup till the 14 days are over. I just feel bad because it seems like he can't rest. He got really bloated again today and how he's floating on the top of the cup on his side again. He's trying to swim down but everytime he does he just floats back up to the top like a cork. :( I feel so sorry for him. I was able to get him to eat a piece of the inside of a pea today and he pooped a little bit and it looked like a little brown ball...so i'm guessing that he doesn't have any internal parasites so that's good. I just want him to get better! I think i'm only going to feed him once every other day or something. Maybe he just can't process food as well as others...and the fact that he has a deformity makes it worse on him. Poor guy. :(
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #53 
Sakura8

You can try to feed him another bit of pea every other day too. I always feel so bad for them when they just float up until they hit top like a balloon hitting the ceiling. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #54 
Withered

I really want to try to get some daphnia for him somewhere. Would freeze dried daphnia work if I don't have access to frozen...or would that not be good for him? I'm leery about the freeze dried because I read somewhere that it wasn't that great for them...it was more like a snack. Do you think he can go on living a healthy, semi-normal life floating at the top like that? It just stresses me out seeing him struggle like that and I don't know what else I am able to do for him to ease his stress.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #55 
Sakura8

Freeze-dried can be done, yes. Overall, freeze-dried is very nutritious but there are some concerns that it causes bloating. I personally haven't experienced any problems like that but others claim to have.

:( You may want to see if you can get him a betta leaf to rest on. Those just suction cup to the side of the tank. You can get ZooMed ones off the internet but a better option would be these:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116136
because they don't have metal in them. The ZooMed ones do and eventually the metal rusts and in some cases, it's come loose and impaled fish.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #56 
Withered

I do have one of those hammocks, but he never really showed much interest in it at all so I took it out of his tank. Do you think it would fit in the small cup like that or that he'd even like it in there? I can try if you think it would benefit him.

I really hope that he improves within the next week because I am going to be going on vacation and have to rely on my mom to change his tank water, which hopefully I can put him back into by time I leave. I just don't know if he's going to make it floating at the top like that...everytime he starts doing that I think he's a gonner for sure. I look at him and tell him you can't die!!! I wish he could just tell me what I need to do to help him.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #57 
Withered

*sigh* I don't think he's going to make it after all. I had pretty high hopes. He was floating at the top of his cup all day and just a few minutes ago I heard a weird noise and looked up and now he's sunk at the bottom and is breathing heavy and won't swim when i move his cup a little. I really thought he'd pull through. Ugh.

I guess there isn't anything more i can do at this point. I feel awful.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #58 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry withered. :( Maybe he'll pull through and surprise us all. Poor little fellow. But you've done everything you can to help the little guy and you've given him so much love and great care. He's a lucky guy to have such a good owner who cares so much about him.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #59 
Withered

Well, he's still alive right now...but he's just laying at the bottom of the cup still with his head propped up. Unfortunately I didn't get the IAL in the mail today like I had hoped. I thought if anything..that would help him out and maybe he'd make a recovery...but considering I won't get it till Tuesday now...if then, I don't really have high hopes of him making it until then.

Do you think I should try to put some medication in there as a last ditch effort? He's obviously sick from something since he's just laying at the bottom looking pathetic right? I just can't figure out for the life of me what it could be unless he does have the bacterial infection like you'd said Sakura, on top of the swim bladder.

I have Maracyn 2, some Fungus Cure and some General Cure. Do you think any of those would help him...or do you think i'd just be harming him putting more in? I just don't know what to do...I want to save him, but I have no real access to medications unless I buy them online and I wouldn't get them until a next week probably unless I did express mail and it might be a moot point by then. This is so frustrating!

Is there any kind of tea bag from the store I could buy that might help him? I have some camomile tea...and some green tea. I'm trying to think of everything I could do.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #60 
Sakura8

Unfortunately, none of those medicines would probably help. General Cure *might* make a slight difference because its ingredient, metronidazole, can be effective at treating internal bacterial infections but not usually via water. Usually for metro to help with an infection it has to be fed via medicated food.

I'm so sorry. I'm sure it's so frustrating but you're doing everything you can and even medicating might not help if we can't quite figure out what's wrong with him. I do think there's more to this than just a deformity. Something internal, but it's so hard to tell what.

If you have decaffeinated green tea without any additional flavors at all, you can steep a bag in his water until it turns dark tea-colored. That releases some tannins that should help him but I will warn you, some bettas have also experienced negative reactions to green tea as well. I think it was possibly due to how the tea was administered but I can't be sure that's all it was so that's why I mostly have stopped recommending it as a source of tannins. I've been okay using it, though. In cases where the betta reacted negatively, the tea was always steeped separately and then poured into the tank. I always steep the tea directly in the tank itself.