Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #61 
Withered

Well he's still eating, so I wonder if I could put a very very small amount of the GC into some water and soak a pellet in it and feed it to him. Would that be possible? I do have decaf green tea, but I don't want to chance it if he might have a negative reaction.

I DO have some tea tree oil...and I was reading up that you can place 1 drop per gallon in there to fight off bacterial infections. I've had the tee tree oil forever though...I havent even opened it yet but it's been in a cool, dry place since i've had it in the amber colored bottle.

I don't get my fish...he's just crazy. He scares me because he'll just sit at the bottom looking pretty dead, but then he'll get up and start swimming around his cup like he's fine. I really hope he pulls through by tues and that i get the IAL. I want to kick the postmans behind for not delivering it today!
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #62 
Sakura8

Yes, you can try soaking some food in the GC if you think it might help. If you don't plan on putting any in the water, then get a small bit of tank water and empty 1 packet of GC into that. Make kind of a paste and coat his food in that. He may or may not like it, it could taste nasty. If you have garlic juice you can flavor the mixture with that and make it more palatable.

Tea tree oil is . . . iffy. It's the active ingredient in API's Melafix and Bettafix. If dosed correctly, it can be somewhat effective against external bacterial infections (fin rot, wounds and ulcers etc) but it doesn't help much with internal problems and if it is overdosed or used too much, the oil can damage the betta's labyrinth organ, which it uses to breathe surface air with. If you want to try tea tree oil, I'd recommend Bettafix and not just straight up tea tree oil.

If you do want to try the decaf tea, steep it in the tank. That is the best way to avoid a negative reaction associated with shock.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #63 
Withered

I may try the GC pellet thing tomorrow since I already fed him a pellet today and I don't want to overfeed. I know one pellet probably isn't much...but it seems like if I give him any more then that he bloats up bad...so i'm trying to play it safe for right now while he's in his QT. How many pellets with the GC should I give him and do you think it's okay to mix it in the water with the epsoms i'm treating him in? Sorry for all the questions. >.< I just think the GC and the pellet is the most practical out of the tea tree oil and the green tea. I just wish I knew if it was an internal infection or an external.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #64 
Sakura8

With medicated food, you feed it exclusively for 14 days so however many pellets you regularly feed him a day. And yes, it's okay to mix the meds with epsom salt. It's actually beneficial if you're trying to purge a fish of internal parasites since epsom salt acts as a laxative.

Well . . . if it was an external bacterial infection he'd probably have ulcers and sores or wounds on his body. An internal bacterial infection is like when a human gets a kidney or urinary tract infection, in some ways. It causes fluid to build up and if untreated, causes the organs to shut down. Same thing with an internal infection in a fish only the fluid buildup causes the bloating and the pineconing effect we know as dropsy.

If it was an external parasite infection, he'd be clamped a lot, lethargic, and have excess slime coat production. He may or may not rub and dart on things and he'd probably have heavy breathing and his gills would be a sickly color.

If it was an internal parasite infection, he might have stringy, whiteish poo indicating something like tapeworms. But constipation can also be a sign of internal parasites if they are blocking the intestinal tract. It's really hard to tell. In a larger fish, a veterinarian skilled in treating fish would be able to take a blood sample and/or tissue sample and test it under the microscope to identify if it was parasitic or bacterial and if bacterial, which type of bacteria. But with bettas, they're just too small for most of that. :(
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #65 
Withered

The sad part about all of this is I leave next Saturday, early in the morning to hope on a plane cause i'm going on vacation. I'm leaving my fish in the care of my mom, who hates to do anything complicated like that...so i'd only be able to treat him for 6 days with the medicated food at best. I also don't think I have enough packets of the GC for that many days of treatment unless i only use a small bit of the packet each time since i'll probably only be feeding him 1-2 pellets per day.

If I do happen to get the IAL on tuesday, I will also only be able to treat him with that till Saturday...which I plan on doing a full water change in my tank and putting him back in there on that day since he's been in the small QT cup since Tuesday.

How much IAL should I put in his 3 gallon tank? I could still do that and have some eposoms in there while i'm gone for the week. I will be back the following Saturday. My mom has agreed to do a partial water change within the week as long as I have the water ready for her to pour in, and I only told her to feed him 2 pellets every other day while i'm gone. I hope he pulls through...but at the same time I don't want him to die while i'm gone because my mom will freak out. If only I could take him with me!

Also, he does seem clamped alot, but that is only when he's down at the bottom of the tank trying to rest on his tail and not moving...when he's swimming he doesn't seem too clamped at all really. He doesn't have any sores/ulcers from what I can tell either...but his gills do look different from what i'm used to seeing them look like. He's always had yellow stripes on them, and I wasn't sure if that was from stress...or if it was just his original coloring since he does have yellow on his fins.

Last edited by Withered; 10-06-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #66 
Sakura8

All your mom has to do is put a leaf in. She can even just put the same leaf back in after she does a water change. It's that easy.

I'll definitely be rooting for the little guy to pull through until you come back.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #67 
Withered

Well, I tried to feed him the pellets coated in GC today but he was having none of that. Stubborn little guy. Hehe. So I went ahead and soaked two pellets in the treated epsom water and gave those to him...hoping maybe the epsom soaking will help him use the bathroom.

I'm starting to think that maybe he's not really sick, except for the SBD...but I really don't know. He has a healthy appetite. He was trying to get the pellet off the spoon I had it in before I could even dunk it into his water. I think he'd probably eat more if I'd let him...but I'm going to just limit him to 2 pellets per day and maybe just one if he looks bloated.

Since i'm going out of town on Saturday, I will have access to Petsmart, Petco and tons of other pet places since i'll be in a much much larger town. I'll try to pick up some freeze dried Daphnia while i'm there and maybe some other meds that might be useful just in case.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #68 
Sakura8

Some bettas are just hypochondriac divas. o.O I'll go ahead and post signs of distress though so you can tell if he genuinely is acting ill or if he's just fussing over something:

* heavy gill movement
* gasping with the mouth visibly moving
* lethargy to the point where the fish will only move if prodded (not to be mistaken with a fish that was asleep, though)
* color that has faded rapidly over the course of a few hours
Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #69 
Withered

He does have heavy gill movement at times, but other times his gills move just fine. I think he only does the heavy movement when he is stressed out. He is pretty lethargic though, but I don't know if it's because swimming stresses him out since he's still very bloated...or if he's really sick. His color seems okay, it's still pretty bright but it's hard to tell since I don't turn my tank light on anymore so that he can rest. He hasn't pooped since last Thurs I think, so i'm getting really worried about him. I fed him another bit of pea yesterday and he hasn't passed anything yet. I'm just wondering if he's being a diva like you said and won't poop because he's in the little cup. I think I might go ahead and put him back in his tank tonight and see how he does, but i'll still keep the epsoms in there and hopefully I get the IAL today and I can drop that in there as well. How long can you use one IAL for his tank? Do you need to change it with every water change or does it last for a while?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #70 
Sakura8

One IAL can last for a while. Basically, as long as it keeps turning the water brown, it's good.

One way to get them to poop is to get them active, such as getting them to flare or even chasing them gently around the cup. But I hesitate to suggest riling him up if he breathes heavily when stressed. But if he doesn't poo soon, we may need to try it anyway.