Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #1 
Oduelz

New Setup for New Betta

So, after the recent loss of my little guy Zuko, i've been thinking about doing an entirely new setup for my next betta.

I've been looking at http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...-Aquarium.aspx this, and it seems like a really nice tank; ive read good things about it on these forums. Apparently the length of the tank plus it not being to deep makes it an ideal tank for a single male betta.

I have also been looking at sponge filters for it as well; after my past experience the conventional water filter current just seems to be to strong. I plan on going black sand on the bottom, and making it a live planted tank. I really like the tanks that have a piece of driftwood on the bottom with plants surrounding it, I think they are really nice for bettas (I already have a nice looking moneywort from my 5 gallon tank;) where is the cheapest place to get a nice piece of driftwood for my soon to be new little guy?

Im going to be doing a fishless cycle, I already have a submersible heater as well.

Any tips? Any owners of this tank offer any advice? I'm aware that since its acrylic and not glass that it may scratch quite easily, however, I normally am pretty good about taking care of stuff like that so i don't think it'll be an issue.

Thanks!
Oduelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #2 
whiskandbowl

I have this tank! It's the perfect size for my living situation.

The filter on it is adjustable, and you can place it on a gentle setting. Even on the high setting, it's not loud, all you can hear is the water falling, which is actually quite relaxing.

I did scratch mine in a few places, but thankfully it's not too noticable. I was worried that pouring in rocks would scratch it as well.

The only thing I don't like is that you have to take the whole top of (light, plastic cover) to mess with the water. It only has a little food door, about 4 inches long by 1 inch wide or so. I'm used to the tanks we have at my work, which have a lid spanning the whole length of the tank, and about 3-4 inches wide.

Mines still cycling right now (sooo close, had my first nitrate readings yesteraday!!!!!) so my fish isn't in it, but he will be soon.

Oh and order it online! It was $55 in store!
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #3 
Oduelz

Thanks for the response! Have you been adding straight ammonia in during your cycle? Or just doing fish food as an ammonia source? And how many water changes have you been doing with it?

I will have to order it online thanks for the tip :P
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #4 
whiskandbowl

I've been doing the fish food method. I haven't changed the water...didn't think you had to while it was cycling. (kinda defeat the purpose of building ammonia) I've just added water that evaporated.
It's taken about 6 weeks to get to this point, I didn't start getting ammonia readings until about 2 weeks ago.
I'd definitely go with the straight ammonia method next time.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
Oduelz

I've decided im going to give one of the Angel Plus active sponge filters a go! I've read great reviews on them, and they give you're tank a near instant cycle!

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm

Also does anyone have any experience with live plants in this tank? Is the light provided with it sufficient or do I need to make a bit of an upgrade?