Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #11 
lelei

My females both of them already dropped their eggs..and ate them too..and they are perfectly healthy:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #12 
Lisa1010

Ok, I'll be sure to watch for eggs but I won't be too concerned because she won't get sick if she eats a few before I can get them out...if she even lays any!

Ella, no that is not my female. That is the male I bought with the female before I took him back to the store as I learned after buying them that they can't stay in the same small tank. I really wanted him but she was calmer and I thought she would be the better choice for me in betta keeping. He was super pretty so I hope someone else came along with a bigger tank for him. He made some beautiful bubble nests!

I don't feed my female that much but the few times I have seen a big tummy on her I also saw the white spot. To me, big tummy equals a day of no eating. I am still learning with her!

Thanks everyone for the information! I learn something new everyday!

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #13 
tpocicat

Most females are mature around 4-8 months. You might not see her lay any eggs because sometimes they just reabsorb them. Either way, it's no big deal.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #14 
Lisa1010

When I got her about 3 weeks ago she was small but had all her color, she just got a little bigger and her color is deeper and prettier. So now I know she must be between 4-8 months old, thank you! They can reabsorb their eggs? I have never heard of that but a lot of this stuff is new to me! Thanks for the info!

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #15 
lelei

I was absolutely in shock, I didnt even know I had females, and then I saw the egg spot, and I noticed one of my females on her nose all day..looking for the perfect spot, and then I saw a microcosm of little white dots floating, still not sure, but I was assuming they were eggs, so then my next female a few days later doing the same thing, I knew the way she was acting, and whala..I got it on video..it's on Utube, under Pepsy dropping eggs!!! I will send the link in a few..
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #16 
lelei

It's only 25 secs, but it is a very cool 25 secs..here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.6tYY4VCyzhQ
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #17 
EllaFish

Cool video, lelei! I've never actually seen my girls lay eggs, even though they've both done so at least twice. Sad sad.

Lisa-
big belly does NOT mean no feeding. For one thing, if she goes a long time without feeding, it could permanently damage her digestive system. GO FEED HER RIGHT NOW. Even if you "fast" her, she should still eat a tiny amount of food to prevent that.

Some females can reabsorb their eggs, so you'd think fasting her would make her belly shrink, but in my experience that doesn't work... by the time it would work, it would probably damage her system first. So I guess they don't do that very efficiently. It makes sense though, because in the wild it would be better to lay and starve than feed yourself and destroy the next generation.

She's not necessarily mature yet. ALL pet store bettas go through a huge visible health improvement a few weeks after purchase (unless you take care of them REALLY BADLY!) Many bettas are sold by pet stores at 2-3 months (just a rough guess!).

So, make sure to feed her several times a day on a normal day, and just a little even on a "fast" day. Female bettas can absorb their eggs, but that doesn't mean they will.
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #18 
tpocicat

IME 2-3 month old bettas are very tiny.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #19 
BettaHeart

most of the bettas sold in pet stores are 6-9 months
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #20 
EllaFish

Oh, I was guessing by that chart I posted earlier. Guess they had a fast growing one...
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, eggs, female, mother, strange