Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #1 
stephanier

fin rot, tail biting, or something else?

My betta fish Azul lives in a 2.5 gallon filtered and heated tank. It is kept at a constant 78 degrees and a perform a 75% water change once a week. I first noticed the tears in Azul's fins about a month ago. I tried various methods to baffle his filter thinking that the current of the filter caused the tear (which I still think is a possibility). I finally found a pre-filter sponge that seemed to slow the current a bit and still filter the water well. Azul's fin continued to tear more and more, however. It's now split down the middle with a chunk missing. I saw some black spots (or so I thought), so I assumed it was fin rot. I tried aq. salt, stress coat, betta fix, and marycyn two, but nothing even made a dent in healing his fins. At this point, I'm starting to think this may not be a bacterial infection such as fin rot, but I'm not sure what it could be. I've heard of tail biting and am wondering if that's a possibility. Other than that, I have no idea what the problem may be. Also, his colors have faded significantly since I got him 3 months ago. He might be slightly inactive, but he acts pretty normal. If anyone has any idea what this might be and what I can do, I would really appreciate it! I will attempt to get some pictures when he swims out of his spongebob pineapple lol. Thanks!!
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 
stephanier

Bump
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote