Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #1 
Brainmurk

Not sure if there's actually a problem with my betta...

Today, I noticed that my little female betta looked... a little different than she normally does. In short: her whole front end seems quite a bit lighter - almost white in some places. I have reviewed the "betta illness' threads, and nothing listed in those posts really seems to quite fit what she's showing.

She's not swollen up, so I don't think it's dropsy... It's not really pronounced, so I don't think it's fungus, but of course I could be wrong. So I thought I'd post a few photos just to be better safe than sorry.

As per the 'please answer these questions thread', here are the 'stats' on her/her housing situation:

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
2 gallons

What temperature is your tank?
Just around 80, but we've been having some colder nights so she might have caught just a little chill. I imagine she's not dropped any lower than 76 or so, though.

Does your tank have a filter?
Yes.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.

Is your tank heated?
Yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
Just herself.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
A mix of BettaMin flakes, pelles and dried bloodworms.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day, usually varying their food a bit, just one of the above each day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
About once a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
Between 50 and 75%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
BettaSafe drops.

Water Parameters:
No, n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?

Strange whiteness to her front area.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?

Acting like she's having trouble staying upright -= like a swim bladder issue, but not exactly. I've kept fish that had that condition before and what she's exhibiting just isn't quite the same.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Just today

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I've got her in isolation in a very small tank with shallow water and a few little plants close to the surface so she can lounge and still breathe and not have to struggle around. My biggest concern is the strange thing with her belly.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
no.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
Probably around 9 months.

These were taken just hours ago. I tried to get as many angles as I could that clearly showed the area I'm referencing, and even drew around it on one to help clarify because you can't really 'see' in on all of them becuase I put her in a cup to photograph her.:

So... do any of you guys have any ideas? I'm really hoping she's jus having some constipation/bladder problems. :( Poor little girl.
Brainmurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Oh gosh...I'm sorry I can't give you a definite cause, I'm pretty new at diseases, but increase your water changes. With a 2g you should do one 50% and one 100% a week. I hope you get a better answer.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I'm afraid I don't know about this either, yikes... She's in QT, correct? I suggest to add in IAL or washed dried oak leaves for some beneficial tannins.. It will be normal if the water is brownish or yellowish.
I don't recommend doing 100% changes in tanks with filters.. That will destroy all the BB that's in the tank. Is it possible to check your parameters?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Most of the beneficial bacteria will be on the filter media and decorations in the tank...all I do is place the decor in the bucket with the old water, siphon to the bottom of the tank, add the new water and swish the filter in the old water. You shouldn't wash all of the decor, but hardly any BB are in the water column.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I meant the OTHER method of doing 100% changes. Like, washing EVERYTHING with tap water, the gravel, filter, everything. What do you do to clean the gravel in 100% changes? 0.o
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I meant the OTHER method of doing 100% changes. Like, washing EVERYTHING with tap water, the gravel, filter, everything. What do you do to clean the gravel in 100% changes? 0.o
Ahhh, I see. yeah, I don't wash anything it just sits in the bucket as I suction the water out. I don't have gravel in this particular tank, it's river stones, so I just vac around them...if the tank really needs cleaning, the stones will go in with the old water also, and I rinse out just the tank. I don't have a filter in this tank though..so, there is a difference. It's a 2.5g
I can see not having to do a 100% with a filter...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, OK. :) Let's not hijack this thread, (LOL) anymore ideas on how to help this Fishy?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Oh, OK. :) Let's not hijack this thread, (LOL) anymore ideas on how to help this Fishy?
I was just going to say that too...I wish I knew what else to tell him. I'm so limited in my knowledge of illnesses...sorry for us just chatting on your post!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Yep, sorry! I wish you the best on the road to recovery!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #10 
Brainmurk

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know about this either, yikes... She's in QT, correct? I suggest to add in IAL or washed dried oak leaves for some beneficial tannins.. It will be normal if the water is brownish or yellowish.
I don't recommend doing 100% changes in tanks with filters.. That will destroy all the BB that's in the tank. Is it possible to check your parameters?
Yes, I've pulled her out of her 'big' tank and put her in an isolated, non-filtered tank even though she's the only inhabitant in her other tank anyway. Right now she's in a 3/4ths gallon tank sitting right on my desk so I can keep an eye on her at all times.

Overnight she seems to have recovered a bit from her swim-bladder issues, no tipping over as she was in the photos last night. She's also more active than she was, swimming around and exploring the tank/plant and ate the little food I offered her.

I think she must just be having a 'spell' of something, but I'm going to keep her isolated for a few more days and continue to monitor her just in case. Thanks for all the input, guys - I really appreciate it. I love this fish like she's my baby (and in truth my fish are about the only babies I'll ever have!) so I worry when she starts acting off.
Brainmurk is offline   Reply With Quote