Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #1 
Five Furlongs

Heaters

I'm new to this whole Betta fish thing and I am planning on going out to buy a heater for my Betta tomorrow, except I have no idea what to look for! I have read you can get them at Walmart. Are these heaters specifically for fish? What is good to look at when getting them??

Thanks!
Five Furlongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #2 
NyaNyanNaa

Hello. Welcome (:

I really suggest not buying any heaters from Walmart because I bought one from there and the heater does NOTHING to heat my tank. You should probably look for an adjustable one at Petco, Petsmart or any other place that sells fish and fish supplies.
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 
whiskandbowl

My WalMart only sells one type of heater. It's Tetra brand and is not adjustable. It heats a few degrees above room temperature. I don't like it because depending on the temp of my house, the temperature in the tank varies.
For the same price, you can get an Elite adjustable heater off of Amzon.com. I just got one and like it much more than the Tetra.

Also, make sure you get a thermometer to monitor the temperature in your tank.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Walmart does carry heaters, but the brand(or one of the brands...I'm not sure if they have more then one) that they carry(Tetra Submersible), as mentioned by Nya and Whisk, is cheap and unreliable. Its a 'present' heater, its not adjustable, so it often under-heats though it also may potentially over-heat if you're working with a smaller tank.

What you will want to look for in a heater is something that is fully submersible and adjustable with a thermostat(though, as mentioned by Whisk, you'll always want to have a thermometer to monitor your temp.....the thermostats aren't always perfectly accurate, especially with different tank sizes).25 watts is a good size for 2.5-5 gallons, and you could bump it up to a 50 watt for 5-10 gallons.
Hydor, Elite, Aqueon, and the Petco Brand are all pretty good heater brands. I'd personally suggest staying away from Top Fin, I had a rather bad experience with a badly made one contaminating my tank a while back.
You'll know if a heater is made to work in an aquarium.....it will say on the box. ;) They're pretty easy to spot.

Good luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 
Kenny G

+1 with DragonFish
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote