Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 
labloverl

How long do you leave the lights on?

Without plants, what's the best light schedule for the fish and for your enjoyment? How much is too much light for a fish? I only get to sit and watch my fish at night, so I usually have the light on in my 5 and 10 gallon from 3-4 to 9-10 pm. When turning it out at night, I leave the bedroom light on for a while after the tank light goes out to help the fish adjust.

I will soon be putting a tank in the living room (on a book shelf/type thing), and I'm wondering about what light schedule it will need. It's likely to get a good amount of natural light from the windows. But say I do a similar schedule to the one mentioned above... would I do the same thing at night, only turn on the big living room light? Or would it be better to get a small lamp and turn that on after the tank light goes out. This tank will have blue and white LED lights that I can switch back and forth from.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #2 
lelei

Actually it's best to have complete darkness, and I shut out the room lights first, 2 of my fish are in the living room, and then I shut out the tank lights, for the night, they need a full nights rest, they have a similar sleep schedule like our own, and for the fishy's upstairs, the same one I leave on until I am ready for sleep, but the room lights are out, then tank lights then it's nighty night for all of us..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 
labloverl

Oh, I meant that I would have the room lights on after the tank lights go out so the fish can adjust to the darkness and then turn the room lights out for complete darkness. I have one fish that really gets startled by the tank light if the room lights aren't on before the tank light turns on. Same for at night, he has to have the room lights on after the tank light goes out before going to complete darkness.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote