Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 
nicolea

I want this little guy...opinions please!

I'm pretty new to this forum but not to owning and caring for fish . I did have a Betta about 10 years ago. He was given to me by a coworker who was leaving the area. He was given to her in a big vase with a peace plant on top. I didn't know that they would thrive better in a tank . We had Dale for 5 years in that vase and he was amazing!
Long story short...I know how to tend to a Betta now and I desperately want another. I was at Petland today and saw this guy shoved in the back! They are holding him for me until tomorrow. I loved him right away! It says pearl white Siamese fighter on his bowl and he is listed for 20.99. All the others say Betta and are 6.00...why is he listed as this. He seems very small compared to the others...he is still young I suppose. He looked pretty healthy but the water was sort of cloudy. What do you Betta lover's think of him?
Attached Images

Last edited by nicolea; 10-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
nicolea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You should get him! Make sure you get a 1+ gallon tank with a heater. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is adorable and I guess maybe he costs more because of his color ..not sure. If you do get him since he is young be extra careful about keeping his water clean and use a good conditioner and yes you need a heater since they are topical fish their water needs to be 76 at the lowest and 82 the highest. The size tank you get will decide how many water changes you need a week. He will also need a good pellet betta brand of food with high protein and New Life Betta Spectrum is a great one to buy. Good luck and be sure and keep us updated when you do get a Betta and ask if you have anymore questions on their care.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

While 20 bucks is no bargain, he is beautiful and looks healthy and, compared to the expense of the set-up, fish are cheap.

He's young, so feed him high-protein (NLS is a good suggestion) and frozen bloodworms and keep him warm (80*). Keep his water very clean.

He's a Plakat, so he'll appreciate a larger tank, 5gal if you can afford it. That size is easier to keep clean and you can cycle it easily.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Ooh, he's very pretty. He's probably so expensive because his color isn't very common and I think plakats are also not very common to come by in pet shops. It sounds like their fish are priced a little high all together if most of the other ones are veil tails, which go for about $3 at Petco.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #6 
misty1477

What A Beauty !!!! Snatch him up real quick

Never saw a white one, probably why he is priced so high.

+ I agree with Hallyx's last 2 sentences about caring for him. He will be a super happy fishy
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 
broncosfan84

He is really pretty. I'd get him. :)
broncosfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Omega One is a good pellet food too. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 
Luimeril

that price is a bit much, imo. 8I he's just a while HMPK. ten bucks at my local pet store. but, if you REALLY want him, get him! :V i've had two white HMPKs in my time, and they really are beautiful. putting him in a tank with black sand or gravel would REALLY make him stand out. i wanted to do that with my Theo, but he ended up blind, and i made his tank a bare-bottom 2.5 gallon.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #10 
TheDragon

I say, if you love him, then by all means, give him the loving caring home he deserves
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote