Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #1 
Billthebetta

Exclamation Need new setup before problems get serious

Hey,
My betta, (bill) is not happy and most likely sick. I need a new setup and an upgrade to a bigger tank because the one he's in is a 1 gallon tank, but the problem is when ever I tell my mom this, she says I don't need it and walk away, but this fish is not well and will most likely die soon. I don't wanna give him away, but I will if this continues after a week, Please help?

By the way, my email is mcgoats100@gmail.com
Billthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

A one gallon can actually totally work. Is it ideal? Not for most people. It is it going to take a bit more work on your part? Absolutely. The problem here is either going to be water quality, lack of heat, or both. How often do you do water changes, and what percentage of the water do you change when you do these? Is the tank heated? If so, what is the temperature, and how is it heated?

Even if you could convince your mom to let you have a 2 gallon tank you would be better off because they are easier to maintain the proper temperature in, but if I had to choose between the two right now I would say that again, heat or water quality is your problem.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #3 
Billthebetta

I just moved him to a temporary tank, looks like he may have a disease, and he sits on his side at the top of the tank. tomorrow ill clean his tank and empty out all the water and scrub everything down, get new gravel and look at filters and heaters. amd im pretty sure they sell something like betta water? some medicine and maybe A change of diet. (Only fed tetra flakes ultra shine) and with the water changing I'd change when ever it got dirty but I didn't know about the toxins they produce, but I'd always go 100% water change
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

Don't worry about a filter unless you get something in the 5+ gallon range. Like I said, a heater is paramount to good health, and one that is adjustable is very important so you can make sure the temperature is at 78-80. Also, don't forget a thermometer! You do not need betta water, but you do need to dechlorinate the new water you put in out of the tap. What dechlorinator are you using? Pelleted food is better than flakes because you can better assess how much he is eating.

How often does the tank get dirty? By the time it is visibly dirty the level of toxin in the tank is probably VERY high. For something the size of a gallon a 50% water change every other day is probably needed, with a 100% change once a week..
Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #5 
Billthebetta

I'm just hoping he makes it :( but if he does i will do it completely different. ill try some Epsom salt treatments (I think it's Epsom salt) tomorrow, and is there any thing like a plant or a type of gravel or something that is better for the fish? Another down fall is I have highschool tomorrow, so I won't even see him until after dinner. But because I had all this stuff going on I started thinking less and less about it then when I went to feed him a few hours ago, I thought he was blind cause he wasn't eating and the flakes would hit him and he'd get scared
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #6 
Kytkattin

I hope he makes it too! There really doesn't seem to be a reason to do an epsom treatment. That treatment is typically for digestive problems. Aquarium salt can be used for bacterial infections, but again, I don't think that is really what is needed in this case. It sounds like more of a water quality/temperature problem.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #7 
Billthebetta

Sorry about my nonstop posting but should just watch him closely?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #8 
Kytkattin

It is fine. You are trying to help your pet. Until you can get a heater, there is not a lot you can do other than watch. I would suggest you do a 100% water change now, and another 50% when you get home. Make sure his tank is away from any window or other drafts. If you have a warmer part of the room or house, put him there. Something that creates heat, like a TV or desktop computer might be something you could put him near. While it is on it might at least raise the temp a little, or at the very least, negate any drafts.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

did you make a thread in the disease section? If not - you so do so ASAP.
Then we can tell you how to make him well again
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #10 
Billthebetta

Thanks tiki, I'll do that! He's moving a lot more this week but he's in his temporary plastic tank. And when I get home I'm gonna dump the real tank in the sink and throw the gravel