Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #11 
Lady Courage

Thank you MyRainbowBettaFish! I did look at that tank. I like the shape, though I'm not sure it would fit in an RV very well... lol Thank you for the recommendation though! Very good to know.

Aaaand I think I spoke too soon. lol Dr. Seuss has perked up again and his color is returning. Also, he's swimming around much more happily. Even took the time to look at me instead of hiding in his familiar plant. lol I feel better now! I guess he's getting used to it.

Still planning on getting plants and taking pics! It looks pathetically bare as of now. :P
Lady Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #12 
birdielikestomatoes

He might have bitten his fins to help him move around more. When I moved Steve from a vase to a tank with a filter I noticed that he had some trouble swimming around, soon after I noticed that he was biting his beautiful long tail, so that he could (I assume) swim around better.

But I'm glad to hear that he's perked up! If you thought he looked great in the 1/2g just wait till you see how much color he'll have in a few months!

And of course, welcome to the site. :D
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #13 
Lady Courage

Ah, that's a thought... OK, makes sense. I guess. Poor baby. I feel bad to have stressed him so, but I know he'll be happier in the long run. Thank you!

Ooooh... I hadn't thought about how much better he will look now... He really did look good in the 1/2g.

So, better than that? Wow. I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #14 
birdielikestomatoes

Oh wow, he truly is a stunner. I'm not exactly sure how he'd get prettier but I'm sure it'll happen. From my (limited) experience all my bettas have gotten darker and more vibrant once they were moved into more habitable homes.

Here is an example of one of my girls. Though the quality is horrible in the 'before pic.'

birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #15 
inuudo

The first couple of days that Fluffy was in the Fluval View, he was kind of pathetic. Oh poor me. Woe. I can't swim. Flail & flounder. etc. This happened whenever he roamed away from the pointy ends at all.

I, of course, panicked, as any clear-headed, right-thinking new betta owner would.

I rigged up the foam baffle for the output spouts (which worked great!) and added a piece of foam to the inside of the filter housing to baffle the intake (which did nada!). In the meantime (2-3 days by the time I figured it all out and obtained supplies), Fluffy had muscled up a bit and was handling the water movement a bit better.

I think that he probably would have adjusted to those output spouts just fine if I'd let it be, especially because I kept the water level quite high so there wasn't much of a waterfall effect. I found him snoozing comfortably next to the intake vents a few times -- scared the crap out of me the first time because I thought he had been suctioned onto it and couldn't escape.

If you thread stalk my past posts, you'll find some explanation about and photos of how I baffled the filter.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #16 
Lady Courage

@birdie Oh wow... He looks gorgeous now!! Some serious green sheen on those pretty fins! Well then, I can't wait to see what happens in this new tank. Since you said that, I've been seeing pics all over the forum of bettas before and after. It's pretty astounding what proper care does for bettas!

@inuudo lol Poor Fluffy. That's exactly what Doc was doing yesterday. Today however, he's even happier. Swims right under the sponges and peers at them curiously. lol I rather think he's beginning to enjoy the slight water movement up there.

I did go stalk your old posts! They were super helpful! I found Doc plastered against the intake as well, which scared me badly too. lol However, after watching him, I've now realized the silly fish is going there to rest on purpose. He likes it! Haha! So I think I may try to wean him off the sponges eventually... But if he doesn't like going sponge-less, I like your setup MUCH better than the one I threw together the other day. lol So I'll do that if I must. One hardly notices the sponge the way you did it, nor does it seem to require much fiddling. You're one smart cookie.

Thank you!

Last edited by Lady Courage; 10-08-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #17 
inuudo

The way I initially set up the sponges at the outflow was way more complicated than it needed to be. I didn't need any of the sponges inside the top of the filter housing or on the spouts themselves. The revised version (in the later thread) with enough sponge to fit across the tank under the outflows (2 elastic bands, and 2 plastic twist ties shaped as hooks) was much easier to manage for cleaning and did a better job of baffling.

If I were still using that tank, I would probably stuff some more filter media in that housing -- the filters that are made for it seem quite minimal, and there is all that space. I'd try a bag or the biomass tubes, perhaps on the bottom instead of the sponge for the intake vents.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #18 
Lady Courage

I saw the later post and it did look like you'd got the engineering better in the second one. It's brilliant!

Huh, that's a thought... True, there's an awful lot of space back there. Though activated charcoal is a very potent substance. Don't need much of it to filter out bad things. Certainly something to think about! Thank you for the suggestion! Hadn't even crossed my mind, but it's a very good idea.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #19 
inuudo

If you're not going to cycle the tank, I don't think you'd need to add anything to the filter system. I had the tank set up for a month, never cycled it, and did daily water changes of 25-60%.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #20 
Lady Courage

Okie dokie! I don't have pictures of my tank setup yet, but it's FINALLY ALL PUT TOGETHER. I don't have the shrimp I want yet, but my plants and my decorations are in place. When I do get pics (I think this afternoon when there's less sunlight and glare on the acrylic) I think I'll make a new thread for it. But I'll post the link here to it. :D

I love love love my tank thus far. It's so beautiful, the whole family occasionally comes by just to stare and watch the plants sway gently and Dr. Seuss play amongst the leaves, stems, rocks and driftwood. He loves it every time I rearrange his tank, which I've done several times before I was happy with it. lol When I put him back in from the holding tank he spends the rest of the day staring at the changes I made and carefully swimming around them to see what else is new. LOL! Such a personality!

So thank you again for all your help!! I'm very happy with the View thus far and I can see how it shall be perfect for RV living.

Tags
slosh-proof, travel tank