Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 
kevinbacon

Exclamation Same problems, new fish! Someone help!

Okay, so a little over a week ago my first betta Kevin died. I had him in quarantine, heated and being treated for ich with Kordon Rid-Ich Plus treatment when he passed away. I got my new betta Luke last Thursday, and he's having the same problems, but I'm not so sure that its ich. I'll give you the most info I can:

Current tank: Aqueon 5-gallon, cycled. Heated to about 78 F and filtered. Plenty of plants and hideouts. Using API Betta water conditioner and API quick start. Excellent water params.
Feeding: Since he's so small, I crush up one micro pellet a day, and give him a chopped up freeze-dried bloodworm several times a week.
Type of betta: Dragon scale crown tail, really young. His body is maybe between 1/2 inch to 1 inch in length. Bought at Petsmart.

Symptoms: Like Kevin, the scales around his face have turned white/tan-ish, and he's spending a lot of time around the bottom of the tank, which is out of character for him. He's a bit clamped as of now, and seems a bit more energetic after his 50% water change. Appears to have some fin rot with either white regrowth or... not sure if this is also a symptom, but the tips of his rays are white. I also noticed he seems to have some white flecks on each eye and his scales around his face are slightly protruding/pineconing. Looks like some are missing, possibly lesions? I'm not sure what those look like tho.
Also, his filter material seems to be slightly greenish instead of the white I bought it as. Pretty sure its algae but I don't want to leave anything out.

Current treatment: Dosing with Bettafix (trying to stay slightly under the recommended dosing, as I've heard of problems with it). Upped water changes from 25% weekly to 50% every other day.

I'm fairly sure that its columnaris at this point, but I'm still a newbie. After Kevin died, I sanitized the tank to the best of my abilities and cranked up the temp to the low 90s while there were no fishy inhabitants. Let it sit for about four or five days with a carbon filter going to get rid of all the nastiness before I went out and bought Luke. But reading the description of columnaris, it seems like cranking up the temperature was probably the worst thing I could have done. :( Help! I don't know what to do! If anyone could prescribe some cheaper medications to heal him that would be great!
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 
kevinbacon

Bump! Please help!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

I have little experience with betta diseases. However, I am currently treating my boys for Velvet (I think that's what's wrong, but I'm really not sure).

I have them in hospital tanks with heaters. The first symptom I noticed was the area around ones face turning whitish (like you mentioned). Then I noticed some "rust" coloring on his head and around his eyes.

Shine a small flashlight on him and see if you can detect any "dust" like stuff on him. It can be gold or rusty or yellow in color I've heard.. However, if he is a dragon scale, it is difficult to tell since their iridescence usually shines in the light.

I am using Mardel's Coppersafe as well as Aquarium Salt and Betta water conditioner with my guys.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #4 
NyaNyanNaa

^ Exactly what I was going to say.

Also, if his scales raise up like a pinecone he may have dropsy..
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 
kevinbacon

They are only slightly pineconed I think, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on that.

Just came back and he has fuzzy white stuff hanging off of him, so its definitely columnaris. Gah. This is so frustrating. I've found so much conflicting info on how to treat it too.

Anyone know a tried and true treatment?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 
kevinbacon

Moved him to a small one gallon hospital tank, btw, earlier today. No filter, daily 100% water changes, heater and small plant only. He is more active now, since the move. I stopped treating him with Bettafix and he is no longer breathing very fast through his gills, so I think the Bettafix was probably a bad idea after all. He's acting better but not cured yet.

Will some Triple Sulfate help him?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 
jeremywadejunior

I'm sorry he has a bacterial infection! :(

Have you noticed if he looks slimy? This is also a symptom of a bacteria infection, as the fish produces more slim coat to try to rid itself from the infection.

The water changes sound good; since bacteria infections are usually caused from dirty water. You said you just got him, though, right?

Also, is your heater adjustable? It's best to keep the betta in lower water temps with a bacterial infection.

As far as medication, I have no personal experience, but I have heard that Mardel products are good. They aren't too pricey either. I currently have their Coppersafe on hand to treat external parasites.

According to the info on their medications that came with my Coppersafe, they have 4 antibacterial medications. It looks like their Maracyn is recommended for Columnaris though.

Do you have a photo of your guy with the white stuff on him?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #8 
kevinbacon

He does look slimy :/ Yeah, I just got him not even a week ago from Petsmart. His cup was pretty gross, but he looked healthy. The trip home stressed him out, though, so I think the stress lowered his immune system.

Yup, its adjustable. How low would you recommend? I have him at about 78 right now. And how quickly should I lower the temperature? I don't want to stress him out any further.

I shall look into the Mardel. I also heard good things of Triple Sulfate, so I'll definitely be making a trip to the pet store soon :P

I actually don't, but I've compared it to some pictures of columnaris online. Looks exactly like it unfortunately. If it gets really visible again, I'll snap a shot. Since I've moved him to qt and upped his water changes so majorly he's made a drastic improval already; I'm hoping he'll survive this. He's young and a strong little fighter! lol
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #9 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbacon View Post
He does look slimy :/ Yeah, I just got him not even a week ago from Petsmart. His cup was pretty gross, but he looked healthy. The trip home stressed him out, though, so I think the stress lowered his immune system.

Yup, its adjustable. How low would you recommend? I have him at about 78 right now. And how quickly should I lower the temperature? I don't want to stress him out any further.

I shall look into the Mardel. I also heard good things of Triple Sulfate, so I'll definitely be making a trip to the pet store soon :P

I actually don't, but I've compared it to some pictures of columnaris online. Looks exactly like it unfortunately. If it gets really visible again, I'll snap a shot. Since I've moved him to qt and upped his water changes so majorly he's made a drastic improval already; I'm hoping he'll survive this. He's young and a strong little fighter! lol
I've read that 75 is a good temp for bacterial infections. As for how quickly to lower it, I'm not sure, sorry...

I hope he'll get better, too! He should clear up with the medication for sure though and it sounds like he's already making small progress.

Keep us posted and good luck :)

Tags
acting strange, columnaris, desperate for help, illness, sick betta