I carefully took out all my fake plants because I'd lost a patch of hairgrass somewhere in there. I also took out all fish and shrimp I could find so I could stir up the sand. I cleaned the tank, I'm about 98% sure there weren't any hiding. I've been thinking about getting something to make little shrimp hides, but I haven't figured out what to use that would be big enough for the shrimp but small enough that the bettas won't try going in.
The shrimp are fairly fast. It took me several tries to catch a few of them. They jet backwards so you have to corner them most times in order to catch them.
Here's a photo of the tank before I moved things today. I'll have to take another photo tomorrow after the water clears again.