Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #1 
Aus

Fantastic ideas for a 3-ft planted tank, please?

Pics welcome!

So, I lost all my precious wild bettas --and-- their 3ft tank in the move to the new house (long story, and I am still really sad about this).

Probably in November I will be able to replace the tank. I have a lot of red-gold sandy gravel and low light plants (anubias and java fern, absolute tons of those) and some nice pieces of driftwood.

I also have a fat little bristlenose pleco and seven large Darwin algae shrimp living in a big plastic tub for now, so those will be the first residents of the November tank. I'm not sure what else might go in there, maybe some more wilds (LBF has very kindly offered me an ideii female - I am pondering this, as they are stunning but highly aggressive fish..), but I'd like other ideas, too.

Maybe I'll actually get two new tanks, seeing as Aang could do with an upgrade too. I'm thinking, a 2-footer there with a stand and hood. We'll see. ;) But for now, the 3-footer!

As I won't be moving for quite some time (I hope) I am open to the idea of a large NPT. But I'm also willing to look at other ideas for planting and stocking.

Things I like:
- plants in general
- natural looking tanks
- biotopes
- inverts
- fish with personality

Things I'm not keen on right now:
- CO2 reliant plants
- fake plants
- cheesy ornaments
- sororities
- neon tetras

I really do need help cheering up/finding the enthusiasm to move on after losing the strohi, so your pics and suggestions will be gratefully received!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #2 
deso

Aus! I'm so sorry to hear that the move went poorly for your wilds :( If it's any consolation, my tank broke during my moving and I had to express-order a new tank and filter, which really wasn't friendly on my wallet.

Anyhoo, since you said you have loads of nice driftwood and natural gravel, I think a setup focused around it would be real nice. Something like this:

Imagine how happy fish would be in something like that. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to stocking/tankmate suggestions but I can help with the plant choices, if you like. Are you planning on making this an ultra low-maintenance setup? Or do you have the time for daily ferts/CO2 and the lot? I just saw this low-maintenance setup below on another forum and am really impressed. Can't believe the guy doesn't even dose ferts: http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/show3.jpg
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 
inareverie85

I will recommend some of the smaller rainbow fish species for any planted tank until I die!

See if you can find videos and photos of these fish. They are full of personality and show off all the time!

Threadfin Rainbows
Forktail Rainbows
Gertrude Rainbows

Cories, obviously, are super cute too and would love to school around in such a big tank. :)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 
Creat

I recently got a few reedfish and I love them like crazy so elegant in the water. My other favorite large tank fish is my beloved tiretrack eel and raphael catfish, talking catfish are so funny. None of those would do hot with the shrimp though :/ Another thing I am experimenting with in my eels tank is I collected some hardwood tree roots boiled them and soaked them and left them. They look great in the tank so far still leaching but the eel loves it. Put some tall valls in it... trying for a biotype tank so far liking it.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #5 
starrlamia

why not do a shrimp only tank? you can have fun with plants, driftwood and lots of moss.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #6 
BettaQi

I am sorry for your loss.

This site has lots of layout ideas:

http://www.tropica.com/en/home.aspx
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #7 
Silverfang

I whole heartedly support the shrimp only idea! Just think it would be a bit awkward with a 3 foot tank.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #8 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I whole heartedly support the shrimp only idea! Just think it would be a bit awkward with a 3 foot tank.
i disagree, plant it nicely and get a whole bunch of neos, grab some orange, blue or yellow, it would look pretty awesome
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #9 
Silverfang

But with different colours you get inbreeding. And they turn out a dull brown or something. That's the biggest issue with shrimp. You need species specific tanks to keep the colours in tact.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #10 
toad

I'm sorry to hear about your fishies :(

How about something like Tom's Mud Bucket?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=150555

I think I especially like this because it reaches out of the top of the tank...
toad is offline   Reply With Quote