Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #11 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
But with different colours you get inbreeding. And they turn out a dull brown or something. That's the biggest issue with shrimp. You need species specific tanks to keep the colours in tact.
yeah i was just listing the options, the breed they have now is a caridina species so they probably wouldnt interbreed...
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #12 
Aus

Haha, Toad - Tom's Mud Bucket is my favourite tank, ever. I aspire to that tank! And it's what gave me the emergent growth bug -- kind of hard to have with bettas, as they like to jump. But one day, this set up will be mine!

Deso -- omg, love that mossy-wood tank. I am aiming to avoid CO2 if possible, but moss likes me and does very well for me without it. I'm looking at a home for my java fern species (I have a couple) and tons of anubias, crypts, etc, all low tech/low light stuff mainly. I really like the idea of having portions of the tank that heavily covered.... And omg,that second setup - WOWEEE. I'm putting that on "tanks I aspire to have" list for sure!

inareverie -- I adore the threadfins! Ofc, rainbow fish are native here, and I can get them pretty easily from Aquagreen up in Darwin (great store.. lovely people to deal with). These fish are on my list of species to acquire at some stage. If I could only get a colony living happily with some wild bettas.... Never tried corys, but I am a fan of the pandas, they are just super cute.

Creat -- have you got a pic thread for that tank here? I would love to see! Oman, a talking catfish.. there's many species we can't get here due to quarantine issues and I am betting they are on list.. so I'm gonna hassle you to make a talking catfish journal or something, so I can learn about them at least. And reedfish are a kind of bichir, aren't they? So pretty... but they get huge, yes? And need a small school?

I am massively in love with bichirs since seeing the tankful of these guys at my LFS:

Starrlamia, I am not fond of neons at all. But a shrimp-only tank is on the cards -- not for this 3ft, I'm afraid, as I first need a pleco-home and hopefully space for that female betta ideii (and a new hubby for her, if they won't eat the pleco or each other..). I realllly do want a few invert tanks however -- snails and shrimp are some of my favourite critters. I am fond of long-armed river prawns, but they tend to eat things smaller than themselves, so a species tank for those is something I've planned on for months. I also love RCS and my Darwin algae shrimp are just terrific (I hope these become popular in America! You guys would like the Darwins, I am sure, since they gobble up algae all day and change colours) but am a bit tentative over the more exotic breeds like crystals, etc. Maybe down the track, I'll try some of those. Shrimp-only tank suggestion noted, though, and passed for approval!

BettaQi, thank you for kind words and that link is brilliant for ideas, cheers for it.

Silverfang, I have seen pics of some brilliant 3ft shrimp-only setups, filled with moss walls and hosts of crystal reds and blues (colours divided by the moss walls, tho, as you said, they tend to get muddy when interbred..) .. so lovely. I would probably prefer a smaller shrimp-only tank, at this stage. I saw an ad for a cheap 2ft setup today... >> ... perfect for shrimp... if only it was next month, that tank would be mine. If I manage to sell the 600+ UFO books that I have carted around for years (and have no idea where they came from..spooky...) I might just be in luck, tho. :D

This is all really cheering me up, people. I feel the enthusiasm returning! Thanks so much. :)

Last edited by Aus; 10-04-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #13 
Creat

Reedish (rope fish) are related to bichir's I think they are a million times cooler though. They snap at smaller fish but are fine with my medium to large females they are usually passive even the little red female likes to snuggle with the smaller reedfish. Sounds weird but true lol. They stay under a foot and half about 14 inches. I have a striped raphael catfish, super pudgy and he is hiding right now cause its nighttime. I will try to get some pics of him soon lol or maybe start a journal for the whole darn tank. He has gone after an eaten sick/ weak small fish only at night his only downside.
Name:  IMG_2393.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  81.3 KB
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #14 
Aus

My vote is: tank journal ftw.

I love those, and learn a lot (and get great ideas) from other people's tank threads. :)

Plus, learning about species I'm not familiar with is always a bonus!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #15 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post

OMG How cool is he!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #16 
Creat

Lol alright got one started!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #17 
Silverfang

I gotta ask.. what is that? it looks awesome!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #18 
kfryman

Ah I remember seeing that. Beautiful tank...

I would say lots of driftwood that has anubias and java fern tied to it and maybe some crypts for MST of the other plants?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #19 
Creat

Its all sorts of nonsense no anubias though ;) some java fern but mostly swords, crypts and now lilly bulbs :) Here is the thread, my friend/ roommate co owns the tank its mostly her equipment and mostly my stock http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....59#post1267259
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

3 feet long is not big enough for any sort of polys. :/
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote