Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #1 
Bettafish

Fall break.

So for fall break i thought i ould leave my fish alone with my auto matic fish feeder.

It wold work ok split between my two fish but not after what happened when i was sleeping.

Last night i changed the tank water just like i normaly do and plucked many dead things from my plants. Anywasy before i went to sleep mymale betta was acting weird just staying near the top so i tried to figure out if something was wrong. It looks like a bit of his - ventral?- the ones that go along bottom of him . and the tips on the bottom seem to be dissolved. like the ray of the fins there but theres no "fin" in betweeen.

Then i wake up this morning and hes jumped into the females side!
She beat him up good and ruined his fins again. i quickly fished him out and he quickly wrapped himself around the thermometer and didnt move. Until right now actually. he just started to swim around. well... not swim but stay near the top. which could be bloating. not sure.

Anyways. since this happened i couldnt possibly leave him for a week alone. the jerk might jump into the filter next time.

So how can i move both of them safetly in a 3 hour car ride. starting in the desert and ending up in mountains. its bumpy in the jeep and not much room because we bring our four dogs. but the fish can be up front with me. same with the tanks maybe. so small packaging for them is best. i might be able to hold them for most of the drive too. i want them to not be slosshed around though.

i have tanks and i can buy more heaters. the tanks are just small plastic ones maybe 2 galloons and 3 gallons? if that. There wont be decor or gravel mostlikely though. ill have to look at the pet store.

when i get up there ill have to keep the fish warm because at night the temp drops to 60 degrees. to cold. so i dont what heater would work for the temp and the size. anyways. thanks guys.
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #2 
OrangeAugust

You can probably put them in their cups they came in and put them inside of a cooler. I'm thinking that to keep them warm you can put in one of those heat patch things they sell at the drug store that you stick on the inside of your shirt to soothe back pain... you know those things? Well as soon at you take the sticker thing off the back they get warm. They don't get as hot as those hand warmer pouch things which I'm afraid might get too hot for them inside the cooler, but maybe those first things I was talking about could work if you just take off the backing and put that in the cooler with them. You'll probably have to leave the top open a crack so oxygen gets inside.
Maybe you can somehow pack the cooler in securely somehow so it doesn't tip over or anything.
OrangeAugust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #3 
Bettafish

it wont bang them agaisnt the cups too hard?
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

They'll slosh around, but I don't think they'll be banged against the sides of the cups. They have to be shaken pretty vigorously for that, I think.
You could do larger containers if you want, then I think it's less likely for them being banged around. They'll just slosh around with the water, which may be a bit stressful but I don't think you can avoid that.
OrangeAugust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 
sainthogan

The closest pet store to me is almost 3 hours away from me via very curvy mountain and canyon roads. When we bought Fishy (thinking she was male), we brought her home in her cup. I kept her in one of the drink holders in the car, and took care to shield her from the intense sun (middle of July). She did just fine on her trip to her new home. She just gently moved along with the water flow and never once that I was aware of bumped in to the edge of her cup. So given my experience, I think yours will be fine, but I think putting them in their cups with a lid on in the drink holders would be the best choice for travel. Otherwise, maybe a small 1/2 gallon tank with low water and have the tanks secured.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote