Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
hotrodprincess

what can I put in 5gal

If I do have to spring for a new tank we might get a 5 gal. What and how much could i put in it with a male crown tail betta? we would probably be planting the tank. So I would like to get an idea of our options in case we have to go this route. The girls would like colorful if possible.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

One betta and certain shrimp or a snail.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

IMO a 5gal is only enough space for a single Betta along with shrimp and/or snails-even with live plants.

The smallest tank to keep a Betta along with other fish species would be 10gal and this will still be limited on what other species you could keep with him.

There are lots of different type of shrimp that come in all colors as well as snails-that both work well in planted tanks, however, some Betta will not tolerate shrimp and/or snails-even with lot of hiding places-Each Betta varies in their tolerance and this can even change from day-to-day....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta and seeing pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #4 
Laki

You could divide the tank and add another male betta :)That's what I did. It's also pretty decently planted and contains nerite snails (low bioload) and some pond snails (there were 3 but I barely see them ever. They clean up the algae on my floating plants and the dead plant matter).
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 
hotrodprincess

What type of shrimp are available I would like to keep an eye out for my options we live in a small area so my options may be limited.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

African dwarf frogs can live in a five gallon but you can only have one frog one fish and make sure you clean the tank weekly. I change water twice a week myself with both of them in there. ADF also come in blonde which is basically albino and are pretty cool little guys. As for shrimp cherry shrimp are among the most colorful and cheapest shrimp you can get.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 
Onlyonagoodday

Some bettas will eat cherry shrimp as they are so small. An ADF might work but you wouldn't be able to add anything else and you would have to do quite a bit of cleaning.
Onlyonagoodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

A lot of bettas will eat shrimpies, so I'd avoid them. I chose snails instead of shrimpies for my 5 gallon betta. I have had a nerite snail for about 7 months with Velvet, and I have had a mystery snail for a few days in there. For shrimps you are pretty much limited to ghost shrimp in small towns, if you have a LPS that is willing to order them for you, you could get some red cherry shrimp. Cherry shrimp are an absolute rip off, and ghosties are usually something silly like 69 cents. Don't keep the 2 shrimps together, as the ghost shrimp will kill your expensive red cherries.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote