Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #1 
sainthogan

perhaps he is a she

I'm beginning to think that Fishy, my male dragon scale Betta is really in fact a female dragon scale Betta. I've noticed a tiny white spot which may be an egg spot, but I've been told that males sometimes get white spots there too. Also the forward fins seem to be shorter than what I would expect on a male. He (she?) has been recovering from velvet and also a jump out of the tank so the fins are not at their full glory. However Fishy has become very happy and spunky once again and is recovering nicely. I put a mirror in front of him today for the first time and there was NO flaring at all, just an obvious curiosity. When my hand slipped and the mirror suddenly moved toward the tank, Fishy darted and hid. This is not typical male behavior is it? I can't get a good picture because Fishy is very camera shy. What other tell tale signs are there?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #2 
sainthogan

By the way, when I bought Fishy, I wondered if maybe he was a she, but the staff at Pet Smart assured me that he was male and since he was a Dragon Scale, would have shorter fins than the others.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Easy, males have longer fins than a female. Females tend to have much smaller tails and dorsals...well pretty much everything is smaller on girls.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Dragonscales can have long fins, that was a lie... Females can be just as aggressive as males so don't think about the behavior difference in gender besides breeding stances. Picture?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Oh, and yes there are bubbles in the tank, but not nearly as many as I have seen other males do. Of course, Fishy is still healing and if he is a male, may not be feeling up to making big bubble nests yet.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #6 
sainthogan

I'm having difficulty getting a picture. Poor lighting and a very active fish make for terrible pictures.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Easy, males have longer fins than a female. Females tend to have much smaller tails and dorsals...well pretty much everything is smaller on girls.
This isn't very reliable either as there are long-finned females...

Males tend to have thicker ventrals, right? And they have bigder and more noticable "beards"...I've seen females flare before, but they don't really have any noticeable beard.

Females can also blow bubbles, lol...so...sometimes I find sexing them a little tricky.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I think most females have a kink in their ventrals and males will have longer, fatter ones.

Quote:
Females can be just as aggressive as males so don't think about the behavior difference in gender besides breeding stances.
And some males can be very timid.

I had the same issue:

This female in my soreity....

turned into this male. I don't think he has realized that he is a male yet...still very timid

I have also heard that some females also have beards like the males now too.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-02-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #9 
phoenix91

I'm having the exact same problem. I have what i think is a female (has a small beard though), very aggressive, flares all the time and i've been told she's a female. now my new male is so very timid, hasn't flared once and hides.

I think without pictures it's going to be hard to tell.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #10 
sainthogan

Name:  2012-10-02_13-11-41_198.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  2012-10-02_13-10-59_948.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  2012-10-02_13-11-08_825.jpg
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  2012-10-02_13-10-25_101.jpg
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  2012-10-02_13-09-54_495.jpg
Size:  52.5 KB

I apologize for the poor quality, they were taken with my cell phone. Only one picture comes close to the true flooring. The fins are faded at the moment due to the recent illness and jump. There are also vertical stripes where the true color is beginning to come back. One of the pictures shows a very obvious white spot where the egg spot should be. Again, there is no flaring with a mirror. I have however seen a small bit of flaring when I nudged him(her) off of the top of the heater when s/he was sick. I didn't notice a beard.

Tags
determining sex