Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Flaring female

This is my buddy Artemis, i've had her a little over a year, she lives in a 5 gallon planted tank and seems like a pretty happy fish.

Name:  photo (10).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  photo (11).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  35.5 KB

So my question... is it normal for females to flare a lot? This little girl seems to flare more than my male betta ever did. What does it mean when females flare? She lives alone but can see my saltwater tank across the room (if she can see that far of course), could she be scaring away the clownfish? I'm looking to get her one of those mirrors so she can scare herself away.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #2 
babystarz

Females can be docile as lambs or more aggressive than males, it just comes down to individual personality. In your case, you've just got a very territorial girl :P I don't know if the tank across the room is stimulating her to do it or not, you could try panting tall plants along that side of her tank and see if she calms down a bit.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 
Mahachai

If she's been flaring ever since you had her then I believe she could be seeing her own reflection. It usually happens in light up tanks. Females are slighty agressive and they develop a pecking order if schooled together.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

our female CT Freija lives in our community tank, and will occasionally flare at the ever-present pond snails, then peck them and make them fall off the glass.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Are you sure she's not a he? LOL She has large fins for a female, especially her ventral fins...
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #6 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Females can be docile as lambs or more aggressive than males, it just comes down to individual personality. In your case, you've just got a very territorial girl :P I don't know if the tank across the room is stimulating her to do it or not, you could try panting tall plants along that side of her tank and see if she calms down a bit.
Yes, she does LOVE her home. I was thinking of getting her something new to go in the center of the tank and rearranging it a bit to try and block the view to the salt tank. I suppose defending her house keeps her busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahachai View Post
If she's been flaring ever since you had her then I believe she could be seeing her own reflection. It usually happens in light up tanks. Females are slighty agressive and they develop a pecking order if schooled together.
No, this seems to be a new activity for her. She used to be nice and docile but i did get her when she was incredibly small. Growing up must have made her a little more aggressive. Shes alone so she's not going to hurt anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
our female CT Freija lives in our community tank, and will occasionally flare at the ever-present pond snails, then peck them and make them fall off the glass.
I bet that's fun to watch. I considered adding a mystery snail to her tank to keep her occupied nit she seems happy enough flaring at me and the cats and anything else she sees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Are you sure she's not a he? LOL She has large fins for a female, especially her ventral fins...
Well, maybe. I posed this question to the forum a while back and the consensus was that the fish is a girl. I had considered setting up a sorority tank but then when the question of her sex came up i decided to leave her alone. I have a feeling that she might be a blind too, not completely, but she has always had a bit of trouble finding her food. So maybe whatever she's seeing (shadows or such) is making her extra aggressive and territorial.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 
phoenix91

I managed to get a few more photos of this fish flaring. So, male or female? and if it's a male what tail type?

Name:  arty2.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  arty7.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  35.1 KB

Last edited by phoenix91; 10-04-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

that's a considerable beard. does she have an ovipositor? she looks VERY male there.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 
cjz96

Definately looks like a guy. :P
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #10 
Oduelz

It looks kinda like a Delta Tail male to me :P
Oduelz is offline   Reply With Quote