Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #1 
pawprintedheart

Newbie...advice welcomed!

So, I went to a petstore the other day with a friend and bought this beautiful guy. He came with a pre-setup bowl and 'everything he'd need'. I didn't really think anything of it... I'd had a betta in the past and had a similar set up.

Name:  nox1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  39.2 KB

But once I got home, I started wondering...when I'd first gotten my birds a lot of the pet store advice and recommendations had been SO wrong. So I flipped open google and did some quick searching. Ouch. I felt horrible.

Yesterday before the storm hit, I went out and got him a 5 gallon tank and stuff to set it up (realized I must have set up the heater down, because it's not here...so the moment the roads get safe I'm heading back out to pick that up). I moved him into the 5 gallon last night and he's in the birdroom where it's a steady 74, so at least his water isn't *freezing* since I'm now waiting on plows to come through so I can get my car on the road.

But well...I'd love any advice you could toss at me. He's such a cutie (no idea on color/breed/if he's even really a male), but I'm in love and I really want to do right by him.

Is it okay to do a fish-in cycle? I've been reading the various posts here and my heads a little spinny with all the information. I figured it was better for him to be in the 5-gallon while I did a fish-in cycle, than to keep him in the bowl while waiting for the tank to do a fishless cycle. ?

I got the Aqueon Mini Bow 5 gallon and the filter pushes him a bit, so when I go get the heater I'll get something to help baffle the flow.

The little bowl he came with had a plastic plant, but I got him a silk one with the tank (though I want a lot more for him, I need to wait until I get paid this week). I'm hoping he's a hardy little boy to make up for my mistakes and that I can get things right by him real soon. I reallllyyy should have known that nothing is rarely ever what people tell you at the stores
pawprintedheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #2 
pawprintedheart

Oh, and Nox today, had him a little over 24 hours:

Old 02-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #3 
kjg1029

how cute! ^.^

a fish in cycle is absolutely okay!...but would you be able to spend maybe 25$ on a test kit to ensure your tank is actually cycling? petco and probably petsmart have the APi master test kit, it has all you need, and will last forevever with one fish (I use it on my 7 tanks and my friends occasionally) my bottles are still mostly full after a few months.:)

youll just test the water daily for about 1-3 months and when the ammonia test reads .25+, change out some of the water!:)

also Seachem Prime water conditioner is wonderful for cycling a tank because if binds ammonia rendering it harmless to your betta for about 48 hrs, so in my unfiltered tanks, or the ones that are cycling, I'll dose about 2 drops a gallon daily between water changes, to be sure your water is safe:)

also new Life Spectrum or Omega One (commonly mentioned on the forum using NLS or OO) are great betta food, since they need low filler, high protein food

goodluck to you and your new friend!:)

Last edited by kjg1029; 02-02-2015 at 01:02 PM.
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #4 
Jamila6452

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawprintedheart View Post
So, I went to a petstore the other day with a friend and bought this beautiful guy. He came with a pre-setup bowl and 'everything he'd need'. I didn't really think anything of it... I'd had a betta in the past and had a similar set up.

Attachment 498986

But once I got home, I started wondering...when I'd first gotten my birds a lot of the pet store advice and recommendations had been SO wrong. So I flipped open google and did some quick searching. Ouch. I felt horrible.

Yesterday before the storm hit, I went out and got him a 5 gallon tank and stuff to set it up (realized I must have set up the heater down, because it's not here...so the moment the roads get safe I'm heading back out to pick that up). I moved him into the 5 gallon last night and he's in the birdroom where it's a steady 74, so at least his water isn't *freezing* since I'm now waiting on plows to come through so I can get my car on the road.

But well...I'd love any advice you could toss at me. He's such a cutie (no idea on color/breed/if he's even really a male), but I'm in love and I really want to do right by him.

Is it okay to do a fish-in cycle? I've been reading the various posts here and my heads a little spinny with all the information. I figured it was better for him to be in the 5-gallon while I did a fish-in cycle, than to keep him in the bowl while waiting for the tank to do a fishless cycle. ?

I got the Aqueon Mini Bow 5 gallon and the filter pushes him a bit, so when I go get the heater I'll get something to help baffle the flow.

The little bowl he came with had a plastic plant, but I got him a silk one with the tank (though I want a lot more for him, I need to wait until I get paid this week). I'm hoping he's a hardy little boy to make up for my mistakes and that I can get things right by him real soon. I reallllyyy should have known that nothing is rarely ever what people tell you at the stores
You're in good shape! You barely had time to have any impact on him with your "mistakes." Get that heater as soon as safely possible. I did a fish-in cycle, very nervously, but it was way easier than I expected (also in a 5g tank). I used Prime daily to detoxify the ammonia, and the test kit to know when to change the water (turned out to be every 2-3 days for about 2.5 weeks). A few more silk plants would be good when you can, bettas don't like a lot of open space. What are you feeding him?
Jamila6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #5 
kjg1029

oh yes I defiantly forgot to add, when you go to (hopefully) get your test kit, get one-2 large silk plants, that way they wont tear his fins, and he will love the places to hide:)
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #6 
pawprintedheart

Thank you so much! -hugs-

And yes, I'll get a test kit. Not sure if the roads are gonna get good enough today to make the drive out to a petco, but we have a pet supplies plus in town, so hopefully they'll have it!

I have API's Betta Water Conditioner, but if the Seachem is better, I'll see if I can't find it!

I'm hoping to grab another silk plant today when I can get out and go get his heater. The little silk plants are so expensive o.O I want to get him a place to hide too.

And he came with -gets- Xtreme Aquatic Foods Betta PeeWee (looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Aquatic.../dp/B003ZLBZMS) - Is that a good food or should I get him something else?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #7 
givemethatfish

That food actually looks very good. And bonus points for being just about the most hilarious fish food name I've seen, aside from the Repashy line of foods (Soilent Green, Redrum, Morning Wood, etc...). PeeWee. I love it.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote