Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #1 
logisticsguy

Aquarium Salt The healthy preventative

Using aquarium salt should be considered if you like to keep your betta healthy. I realize this can still be considered controversial, however through research and practical application the positives far outweigh the negatives if used properly. It is an inexpensive preventative that does not harm the beneficial bacteria in your tank or plants when used at the recommended dose. Aq salt does not contain iodine like table salt or trace mineral like sea salt. Most tap water has an extremely low level of salinity.

Aquarium Salt can:

1. Aid in the control of many parasitic and pathogen populations including Ich and velvet.

2. Enhance the fish ability to produce a good protective slime coat. Very helpful if the fish is recovering from a bacterial infection, injury, torn or bitten fins and often fin rot.

3. Prevent intake of lethal nitrates during nitrogen cycling of a new tank.

4. Prevent intake of stressful high nitrates in existing cycled aquariums.

5. Lessen the fish stress levels by aiding the gill function. Fish kidneys are designed to excrete water absorbed through the skin and gills. This is a major and important job. By adding aquarium salt the fish kidneys do less work because the amount of water absorbed into the blood via the gills is reduced.

6. Adds needed electrolytes to the water.

7. At high concentrations like 1-3 tsp per gallon, aq salt can keep nets and gravel vacs from spreading pathogens tank to tank. I keep a separate bucket at high salinity for any equipment that is shared in the fish room.

The concentration of the salt is based on intent. As a general rule of thumb start with 1 tablespoon per 5-7 gallons of aquarium water. This is a safe dose for all fish and plants including salt sensitive corys. Some betta keepers only use aquarium salt as a general tonic or preventative. Others use it at higher concentrations to treat for existing parasites but remember it is not a cure all and can be combined with other things like methylene blue or antibiotics outside of the aquarium in a fish bath to treat stubborn or difficult pathogens.

The benefits are many but there are drawbacks to consider. Live plants can be killed if concentrations are too high as well as cory cats and Chinese algae eaters so try to stay at the recommended levels if using in the aquarium.

Bottom feeding fish can adjust to a low dose salt level if salt is slowly added over a few days. Avoid dumping all the salt at one time and always pre dissolve the salt before adding especially if the tank has salt sensitive species.

Many people think salt is salt. Nope. It comes in many forms. Iodized table salt can cause ammonia levels to rise then nitrites. This can cause major upsets in the aquariums biological filtration bed.

Sodium Chloride does not dissipate, only water changes will remove salt. If you are using aq salt (NaCl) in your 20 gallon aquarium and you change 5 gallons of water you need ONLY add salt for the 5 gallons changed, not the 20 gallons of aquarium water otherwise your salt levels will build up with time.

The “No Salt” fad propagated by many poorly researched articles and ignores certain facts not only about sodium chloride but about the other important electrolytes as well. My own experience has been that my fish are way healthier, vibrant and much less prone to diseases. Who uses Aq salt? My friend who has a large aquarium shop with over 300 species of fish and in business over 20 years. He uses 1 tsp per 5 gallons in all his water to prevent outbreaks that could destroy many valuable fish. Many thai breeders who already have a higher salinity in the water than our tap water. President of the IBC and many other top North American breeders.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #2 
juanitawolf

if i dose less of the recomended, is it bad?
juanitawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #3 
logisticsguy

Not at all bad. The aquarium salt will however be less effective at disease prevention.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #4 
Harrison and Owen

For a five gallon tank what is the recommended dose?

And would you dissolve all that in say….1.5 gallons of new water (while doing a partial water change) or would you just dissolve whatever the dose would be for 1.5 gallons?
Harrison and Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #5 
juanitawolf

i have a 1 gallon, how much salt do i have to use?
juanitawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison and Owen View Post
For a five gallon tank what is the recommended dose?

And would you dissolve all that in say….1.5 gallons of new water (while doing a partial water change) or would you just dissolve whatever the dose would be for 1.5 gallons?
Keep in mind that in a 5 gallon tank there may only be 4 g of water when you consider substrate, decorations and not full to the top. So starting out you would use 3/4 of a tablespoon for your tank. For a water change like 1.5g you would add about 1/3 of a tablespoon dissolved into the tap water. I add 2 drops per gallon of Prime and salt at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitawolf View Post
i have a 1 gallon, how much salt do i have to use?
For a 1g you would use .2 tsp per change. Best described as a pinch of salt. Much like baking really. Add a small amount and tastes great. Add way too much and the food tastes salty. When topping up an aquarium don't add salt as it will already be dosed to the proper salinity.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #7 
SiameseFightingArt

Thanks this thread is very helpful to beginners of the salt XD
SiameseFightingArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #8 
Harrison and Owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Keep in mind that in a 5 gallon tank there may only be 4 g of water when you consider substrate, decorations and not full to the top. So starting out you would use 3/4 of a tablespoon for your tank. For a water change like 1.5g you would add about 1/3 of a tablespoon dissolved into the tap water. I add 2 drops per gallon of Prime and salt at the same time.
Whoops, I added a half teaspoon to his 1.5 gallon water change. Is this going to hurt him? I dissolved it and let the water sit for a bit of course.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #9 
logisticsguy

Nope wont hurt him at all. You can make the adjustment next water change.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #10 
Harrison and Owen

When I do changes I usually do about 24 cups (1.5 gallons) twice a week. So for each of those I would add 1/3 of a tablespoon? Cripes, he barely got any salt this go round.

eta: 1/3 of a tablespoon is a teaspoon so 1 teaspoon per 1.5 gallons?

Last edited by Harrison and Owen; 07-12-2014 at 02:38 PM.