Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #1 
manami

Using Catappa Ketapang leaves or Rooibos tea for betta and community fish?

I still don't know if I want to do this (I don't want to mess up the PH too much and make the water look too brown) but I'm thinking about it because my water is hard and in case the driftwood and the lava rocks doesn't work lowering the PH enough.

I saw this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LKT...VVL&ref=plSrch <-- Has anyone bought those leaves before? The Catappa?

How many leaves will I need for my 5 gallon betta tank AND 40 gallon community tank?

Also, I read online that some people use Rooibos tea?!?...how is that possible? O_O what brand or type of rooibos is that? Can I find it on amazon? How many rooibos will I need?

And how long should I keep the Catappa leaves OR the Rooibos tea inside the tank?

Please and thanks!

Last edited by manami; Yesterday at 09:26 AM.
manami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #2 
Sadist

I use the catappa leaves (referred to as IAL or Indian Almond Leaves) in my 10 gallon. I use 3 leaves in there and replace them every 3 weeks or so. I'm not sure with the tea; all I know is to get the unflavored kind. They both leach tannins into the water. I'm not sure how much is needed to change the PH; all I use it for is to make the water slightly yellow and mellow my aggressive fish a little. The change in color isn't too noticeable to me in the tank; I just see it in the bucket during water changes.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That's about right. you can use more if you don't mind amber or tea-colored water.

If your water is hard (lots of buffering), it won't lower pH much. But, for normal hardness, it's quite effective in lowering pH naturally. Try it, test it and see.

Then let us know how it worked for you.

You might find Rooibos tea in your local supermarket. Unflavored only, but you know that.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #4 
manami

I have seen rooibos teas at the supermarkets, but I don't remember if the box said that its unflavored. I'll have to see it again.

Will the bottom feeders (panda cories and kuhli loaches) like to hide or swim over the leaves?

Last edited by manami; Yesterday at 11:59 AM.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #5 
MikeG14

I use Twinning's Red Rooibos tea. It's 100% natural with no added caffeine or flavors. It's the brand I use. Any softish water fish such as corys, cardinals, rummynoses, etc. will appreciate the leaves. Leaf litter is part of their natural environment.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

My brother dumped his kuhli loach on me, and I put it into a tank in which there was a lot of leaf litter on the bottom. I almost never saw it, as it was always sifting through the leaves looking for food.

As MikeG14 has said, a lot of soft water fish species will appreciate the addition of tannins/leaf litter.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #7 
Strawberry12

I use rooibos tea, just cheap unflavored stuff from the discount store. There's really no way to mess it up, I just throw a tea bag or two in with the string over the side like i'm making a giant tank-sized cup of tea, and remove the bag when it's the desired color. Easy peasy :)

Oh and when I do splurge occasionally and buy the leaves, I use one large leaf between my two ten gallon tanks, and just let them decompose naturally, but I have a NPT, so i'm not worried about gunk on top of gravel or anything. But the number of leaves/tank would determine how dark you want it, I've found half a leaf gets them a good medium level color.

Last edited by Strawberry12; Yesterday at 08:43 PM.
Strawberry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #8 
manami

MikeG14: I have seen that brand before but never the Rooibos...I'll have to look at it again next time I go to the supermarket. I can buy the leaves and cut it in half so that I can have more leaves for later...they look big in the pictures! Let's hope im lucky to find an unflavored rooibos tea. = )

LittleBettaFish: I'll just have to be careful and not add alot of leaf. It would be so funny seeing the leaves moves and find a little peek-a-boo kuhli face = p.

Strawberry12: Haha! A giant cup of tea for the fish. Good for calming stress XD.

I still need to wait a little until I get my fish. I wanna try the Rooibos tea and later get the leaves from amazon and see how they react. I can use the leaves for my two bettas and the new comunity gang.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #9 
Strawberry12

haha exactly! I don't advise drinking it though, that would probably be a Bad Idea.

My new boy turned into a bubblenesting monster when I added a leaf! it's awesome. Just play around with the different amounts, and figure out what you like the look of. And yes the leaves are huge, bigger than my hand!
Strawberry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #10 
FrostPixie

I use the rooibos tea - i leave it in until i get a colour i like... it doesn't bother me with the light brown water and most of my fish are pretty happy...

i dry out the tea bag after and break it open and use the tea in the garden for my plants... i also water my garden with all of my tank water too
FrostPixie is online now   Reply With Quote