Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #1 
merrycat

Betta not eating

Finally got my new boy. He was super scared at first, but he's definitely starting to come around. He knows me now, and comes up to investigate me for a bit before retreating behind the filter.

My problem is that I'm having trouble getting him to eat. It's not that he doesn't *want* to eat. He just seems kind of... too dumb to eat? He gets excited when I take the top off, but when I drop the pellets in he manages to get maybe one pellet out of every three or four. He'll go for the pellets but miss. Or he'll blow bubbles at them instead of eating them. Or he'll swim around looking excitedly until it he knocks it with a fin. When it eventually falls down from the surface he just sort of looks around like "huh? where did it go? It's MAGIC!"

I thought it might be bad eyesight but he can see me and the food container just fine, and has no trouble navigating the tank. His tummy is not nicely rounded, but not super skinny either, so I guess he can get by on this. It'd be nice not to have to waste three or four pellets before he finally manges to eat one. I hate to think of that extra food falling into the substrate and rotting. Plus it's extra food for the booming pest snail population.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions to help my boy eat.
merrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #2 
bettamoo

Maybe feed him flakes
bettamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

Do not feed him flakes. They lead to constipation and bloating.

Maybe the pellets are too big for him? Maybe try cutting the pellets in half with a knife. It sounds more difficult than it is.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #4 
merrycat

I cut them up with a little exacto knife, and it seems to help a bit. There's still pieces going to waste though. I noticed he spends quite a bit of time chewing after he grabs the food. Maybe I'll swing by the pestore and pick some micropellets and some frozen food, to see if that helps any.

If hubs weren't so against it, I'd culture some white or grindal worms for for him. Maybe I can still do daphnia, although I'm not sure they're big enough for a grown betta to bother with.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #5 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrycat View Post
I cut them up with a little exacto knife, and it seems to help a bit. There's still pieces going to waste though. I noticed he spends quite a bit of time chewing after he grabs the food. Maybe I'll swing by the pestore and pick some micropellets and some frozen food, to see if that helps any.

If hubs weren't so against it, I'd culture some white or grindal worms for for him. Maybe I can still do daphnia, although I'm not sure they're big enough for a grown betta to bother with.
My betta all love frozen daphnia. And they find it really easily. They even managed to clear out theirs yesterday when it was still murky in my tank from a substrate change session :P
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #6 
VivianKJean

How do you feed him? do you just drop all the pellets/pieces of pellet in at once?

You should drop in one piece at a time. If he eats it then offer another, if he doesn't then try again the next day.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #7 
merrycat

I give him one piece at a time.

He gets excited but doesn't seem able to actually connect with the food. He'll either blow bubbles at it or swim excitedly around it until he knocks it with a fin so it falls from the surface. He doesn't chase after the sinking food either. Just waits exectantly at the surface for the next piece. He usually wastes 2-4 pieces before I can get anything in him.

When he does get a piece, he spends ages chewing it, so I'm wondering if I should try a different type of food. Currently he's on spectrum new life betta formula, and I've been carefully picking out the smallest pellets for him as he's still a little guy. Maybe those micropellets for small fish would be easier until he grows up a bit.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #8 
VivianKJean

What size are the pellets?

New Life Spectrum has small fish formula pellets that are good.
also could try Omega One Marine Micro Pellets. they are super tiny.

it sounds like the pellets you are feeding him are too big.