Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #1 
Anne713

Odd eating habits?

So I've had my boy since July. I feed him morning and afternoon with a fasting day. I have noticed that some days, he will eat all that I give him and other days, he acts like he has no appetite. Is this normal behavior? I've never had a betta before but from everything I've read about everyone elses betta, they are nearly jumping for food. He isn't sick or displaying anything odd.

Edit to add, I feed him 3-4 pellets in the morning and at night. Once or twice a week, he gets 2 pellets and 2 dried bloodworms (soaked) at night. One day a week he gets a treat of frozen bloodworms.

Last edited by Anne713; 11-12-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Anne713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #2 
BettaBeau

Hmmm... If your pellets are larger, 1 millimeter sized pellets, you might be feeding too much. Also, if your pellets are full of fillers your betta might be taking longer to digest them. What brand of pellets are you feeding him?

If you have frozen bloodworms I would get rid of the freeze dried ones, even soaked they are difficult to digest and sometimes lead to bloating.
BettaBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #3 
Anne713

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBeau View Post
Hmmm... If your pellets are larger, 1 millimeter sized pellets, you might be feeding too much. Also, if your pellets are full of fillers your betta might be taking longer to digest them. What brand of pellets are you feeding him?

If you have frozen bloodworms I would get rid of the freeze dried ones, even soaked they are difficult to digest and sometimes lead to bloating.
I thought I added that! LOL Its Omega One. He is on the smaller side so I pour a few in my palm and pick out the tiniest ones so he doesn't have a problem eating them.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #4 
BettaBeau

Ah, great pellet! No filler issue there. They are pretty large, though, maybe try feeding 2 pellets in the morning, 2 in the evening.

Edit: They are the Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, correct?
BettaBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #5 
Anne713

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBeau View Post
Ah, great pellet! No filler issue there. They are pretty large, though, maybe try feeding 2 pellets in the morning, 2 in the evening.

Edit: They are the Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, correct?
I do believe so. I'm not home right now but I'm pretty positive that's what it is. I'll try cutting down to see if that helps. I keep an eye on his belly and he only gets the slight bump so I figured that was ok and he has never showed signs of being overfed/bloat.