Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #1 
motaylor

New 10G Tank Setup

So after a couple of weeks I finally have all my items to setup my new 10G tank.

I have a

- heater
- tetra whisper/tubing
- seachem prime
- thermometer
- light

I have yet to buy a filter / api testing kit ;
I was kind of put off and devastated when my one of my bettas passed so I just haven't gotten around to buying these last two Items.

I'm ready to move passed what happened and do better.
One what type of filter should I get?

Two I need help with acclimating; this is for my second baby betta that's been stunted and I want him to grow and succeed in becoming something beautiful. I'm also super stressed about the filter sucking him up, User: Warhawk told me I could cut a square piece of sponge and stick it in the tube but is a filter even needed?

I know a lot of people say mistakes happen and learn/try to do better. So this is me asking for help so I don't loose this one or any others. I think that's it? All help is much appreciated ! :)
motaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #2 
bubbles4ever

If you buy a sponge filter then you don't have to worry about your fish getting sucked up the intake/the current being too strong. I haven't used them personally yet, but I have seen many people recommend them for bettas. But yes, a prefilter sponge is also a good way to keep them from getting sucked up the intake.

As for acclimating, look up the drip method!
bubbles4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #3 
motaylor

Okay I'll try to find one!

I'll definitely look it up :)

Thanks !
motaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #4 
Kim

Yup, putting some sponge over the intake is a great way to avoid problems. You can also buy premade "prefilter sponges" for a few bucks if you don't have any aquarium-safe sponge lying around. I would definitely use a filter of some kind because a cycled tank will be a much more stable environment for your betta and will be easier to maintain for you. If you have other cycled tanks, grab some filter media from each one and stuff it into the new filter. That should be plenty of bacteria for a single betta in a 10 gallon. If you don't have other cycled tanks, then I'd recommend doing a fishless cycle before putting your new betta in. I wouldn't want to cycle fish-in with a young, already stunted fish.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote