Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #1 
BettaMummy87

Spreadsheet for logging tank perameters!

Yeah, so I am forgetful, and its best if I write things down so I dont forget what happened when. This is even harder now I have three tanks.

So I have made a spreadsheet for my tank perameters (Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, C02, PH, KH and Temperature). I am also doing sheets for cleaning/maintenance and for fish additions/removals/spawns/etc.

I am thinking of making this available to anyone who wants it by getting it onto googledocs. Is anyone interested?

It is formatted to tell you when you are outside ideal perameters and has a graph to show the month's stats for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

Obviously, if you save it down you can add or remove bits you want/don't want.

Pretty sad, huh?
BettaMummy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #2 
Veloran

Pretty neat, would be awesome for someone cycling their tanks too.
Veloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #3 
PiscesPlunder

I do something similar, but each tank has a lil mini notebook. You should consider adding a column for tds meter ppm readings. Sorry i am kinda obsessive about tracking my tanks lol
PiscesPlunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #4 
JohnWS

Looks better than my log. I just used MS Works Database feature to do mine. If you decide to upload it I will download it and look at it.
JohnWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM   #5 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscesPlunder View Post
I do something similar, but each tank has a lil mini notebook. You should consider adding a column for tds meter ppm readings. Sorry i am kinda obsessive about tracking my tanks lol
Shouldn't tanke long to add. Though as I don't tds readings are and what ranges are normal or not I can't add the formatting :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloran View Post
Pretty neat, would be awesome for someone cycling their tanks too.
That's what I started this for as I have one cycling (nearly done) and one that I am switching to a pure soil substrate, so that may have some spiking too.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. Too high and inverts can't shed their carapace and die. Jerky, backward jumps and subsequent death are indications of this difficulty to molt. Anyone who keeps inverts should know their tank's TDS. You keep track with an inexpensive meter.

A lot of unexplained aquatic deaths can be attributed to bad TDS.

"The TDS also affects how fast water moves into the fish via osmosis. 'Pure' water would pass through the fish's cells very quickly, while water with some TDS would move more slowly. Fish use their kidneys to pump this water out. The kidneys of fish that occur in hard water don't have to work very hard. Soft water fish are built by their natural evolution to live in water that they rapidly take in to flush out toxins. A small tetra will urinate more than three times its body weight every day. But the higher the TDS, the harder it is for the fish to do this, so the toxins remain longer in their bodies affecting their physiology, causing stress, and this will inevitably lead to a shorter lifespan depending upon species and levels. This may not be evident to us until the fish just dies, for no 'apparent' reason. Such fish actually become dehydrated, and most suffer kidney problems. [Geisler (1987) covers the kidney deterioration in cardinal tetra due to hard water calcium with scientific data on the fish’s lifespan directly determined by the TDS of the water.]"*

*From the article linked below:
Total Solids (TSS and TDS) in the Freshwater Aquarium
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #7 
countyrd419

I too have a spreadsheet set-up for my new fish Patriot. I haven't done any testing as of today. I only got him this Thursday. I will wait until next week and post my spreadsheet.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM   #8 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. Too high and inverts can't shed their carapace and die. Jerky, backward jumps and subsequent death are indications of this difficulty to molt. Anyone who keeps inverts should know their tank's TDS. You keep track with an inexpensive meter.

A lot of unexplained aquatic deaths can be attributed to bad TDS.

"The TDS also affects how fast water moves into the fish via osmosis. 'Pure' water would pass through the fish's cells very quickly, while water with some TDS would move more slowly. Fish use their kidneys to pump this water out. The kidneys of fish that occur in hard water don't have to work very hard. Soft water fish are built by their natural evolution to live in water that they rapidly take in to flush out toxins. A small tetra will urinate more than three times its body weight every day. But the higher the TDS, the harder it is for the fish to do this, so the toxins remain longer in their bodies affecting their physiology, causing stress, and this will inevitably lead to a shorter lifespan depending upon species and levels. This may not be evident to us until the fish just dies, for no 'apparent' reason. Such fish actually become dehydrated, and most suffer kidney problems. [Geisler (1987) covers the kidney deterioration in cardinal tetra due to hard water calcium with scientific data on the fish’s lifespan directly determined by the TDS of the water.]"*

*From the article linked below:
Total Solids (TSS and TDS) in the Freshwater Aquarium
That's some great info. I think I need one of these monitors. Column added. It should be on google docs tonight. I will update with a list once I have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countyrd419 View Post
I too have a spreadsheet set-up for my new fish Patriot. I haven't done any testing as of today. I only got him this Thursday. I will wait until next week and post my spreadsheet.
Awesome. Will be good to see another take on it. :D

I also will be adding tank specs/maintenance sheet to GD later. I will post links as updates as soon as I have done my last few water tests and a W/C on my big tank.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #9 
BettaMummy87

Link to Tank Perameters Spreadsheet

Link to Tank Maintenance Spreadsheet

These are both in GoogleDocs format. If you want the excel formats, it is in the folder here. Not sure if you can download it as an excel file though.... I'm not too tech-savvy.

The only issue is the graphs have not transefered well from Excel to GD format... :/ They don't work. I will try and fix that tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #10 
hrutan

Thank you, BettaMummy87! Very nice spreadsheet.

RussellTheShihTzu - What number for TDS should we be looking for?
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote