Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #1 
Sarenbella

Age of betta?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site, and pretty new to betta keeping in general, so I'm going to have tons of questions in the near future, I'm sure. But for now there's one thing I'm really curious about. I took a trip to the pet store yesterday, fully intending to walk past the bettas and straight to the supplies... needless to say, thirty seconds after getting inside I found myself standing in front of the betta shelves. I fell in love with a curious little female crowntail, and I just had to take her home. But she's so tiny! Much, much smaller than any betta I've ever cared for. So I was wondering if it's at all possible to get an idea of her age, based on her size. Just because if she's young I'd like to know if there are any special care instructions.

Plus! I'm still undecided on a name. I've been tossing a few ideas around, but if there's a chance more colors will develop, that could have an impact on my decision.

Oh, and this might be a stupid question, but is that redness normal?

Thanks guys!

Sarenbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #2 
BettaMummy87

How long is she? In inches? :)

It could be water conditions have made her gills a bit redder than normal. Not unusual at a pet shop. :) But she seems like a blue cambodian, so her body is pretty seethrough, only exacerbated by the young age, so it could be just her gill colour normally, as there is little pigmentation dulling it down, but I've not personally owned a cambo betta that young :)

Last edited by BettaMummy87; 11-11-2014 at 08:09 AM.
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #3 
selah

what a little sweetheart, I'm guessing she is only a couple of months at most judging by those huge baby eyes. If she is like other girls, she will tell you her name..
selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #4 
Sarenbella

I'm at work right now so I can't actually measure her, but looking at a ruler I'm pretty sure her body is less than 1 inch. Fin included, she MIGHT be about an inch long total.

The big eyes really made me think she might be pretty young, so I wanted to make sure I care for her properly... she's currently in a 1.5 gallon bowl until I pick up another tank, which I plan to do after work today. Before I got her I was about to move my male veil tail, Sushi, from his 3 gallon tank to a 5 gallon. Should I put the crowntail princess in the 3 gallon tank, or would I be better off just picking up another 5 gallon? I don't want to stunt her growth or anything. Also, is there anything in particular I should be feeding her at this point?

And just for fun... NAMES! Selah, I think you're so right about girls kind of choosing their own. Although curious, her demeanor (and color) immediately made me think of the quiet calmness that settles during a late night snowfall. SO... I think I've finally settled on Winter. But just for the hell of it, I was also throwing around names like Shiya (snow at dawn), Miyuki (silence of deep snow), Akitla (snow falling on water), Grey, and December. Curious what you guys think. :)
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #5 
BettaMummy87

They tend to reach around the inch mark at around 7 weeks, variations and king genes excluded. But its an idea of an average. At least that is what my research has led me to conclude. XD
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #6 
Sarenbella

How old are they usually when they ship them to big chains like petsmart?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #7 
selah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarenbella View Post
I'm at work right now so I can't actually measure her, but looking at a ruler I'm pretty sure her body is less than 1 inch. Fin included, she MIGHT be about an inch long total.

The big eyes really made me think she might be pretty young, so I wanted to make sure I care for her properly... she's currently in a 1.5 gallon bowl until I pick up another tank, which I plan to do after work today. Before I got her I was about to move my male veil tail, Sushi, from his 3 gallon tank to a 5 gallon. Should I put the crowntail princess in the 3 gallon tank, or would I be better off just picking up another 5 gallon? I don't want to stunt her growth or anything. Also, is there anything in particular I should be feeding her at this point?

And just for fun... NAMES! Selah, I think you're so right about girls kind of choosing their own. Although curious, her demeanor (and color) immediately made me think of the quiet calmness that settles during a late night snowfall. SO... I think I've finally settled on Winter. But just for the hell of it, I was also throwing around names like Shiya (snow at dawn), Miyuki (silence of deep snow), Akitla (snow falling on water), Grey, and December. Curious what you guys think. :)
I like the name Winter... it certainly suits her, and if it popped into your head that is the name for her.
selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #8 
SplashyBetta

My baby betta, Mochi, is a Cambodian and her gills are very similarly coloured. Bad water conditions can sometimes affect it but it's also natural for Cambos. :)
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #9 
Lilypad

She is adorable. The name winter definitely suits her!
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #10 
atb224155

She is very tiny...Though this is a female, Toto comes to mind as it means little one in another language.
atb224155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, crowntail