Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #1 
motaylor

King Betta almost died a bit confused

Okay so I was doing my daily water change for all my betta fish

I use the betta fish cups I received the fish in

I cleaned his habitat out - large pet keeper

Placed him inside the pet keeper with the lid of the cup on and after 5 minutes I checked on him and he's flipping out so I quickly take him out of the pet keeper , remove the lid to the cup and he's pale with stripes gasping so.. Im clueless I had no clue on what to do so I added some cold water and got a strall thing and blew some bubbles in the cup

he's now back in the pet keeper inside the cup w/ no lid on it
he's fine I also included a picture

I don't understand I do this every single water change 2-3 days at most

He's okay now but I hope he doesn't die on me /:

I keep my Betta fish inside the cups for at least 35 min to 1 hour before placing back inside the water

Maybe I stressed him? But this is a normal routine so I just don't get it
Anyone had this experience before? :(
Attached Images

motaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #2 
Bailmint

It could be temperature shock, I doubt it's parameter shock, but it's unlikely due to your pristine [assuming] water.
Bailmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #3 
motaylor

I don't know I'm clueless... I use warm water when I fill the pet keeper back up and the cup had already had warm water in it, maybe it just wasn't enough air? But I also fed him one pellet to see if he would eat and of course he did so hopefully he will continue to be okay.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #4 
Greenapp1es

Do you have a thermometer? Do you know that the new water you're putting into the tank is the same temperature as the water that's coming out?

"Warm" and "Cold" aren't really helpful - you want the water to be within a couple of degrees.
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #5 
Optomist

So why do you move the fish when you change the water? Most fish tank water changes are about 25% or so. You take out a quarter of the water, and put in a new quarter. You don't move the fish. That is usually stressful.
Optomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #6 
Bailmint

As that is one way, Optomist, six of my tanks get changed 100% weekly, so my fish must be removed. They never go into shock, as I keep the same temperature and the parameters are close because I don't wait a month to do my water changes.

Taking a fish out and cleaning the tank is a perfectly okay way to do it. I just would't recommend it once a week. It's okay to stress the fish a little bit once a week, but not every 1-3 days, that's just excessive. Do you use WC?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #7 
Greenapp1es

@Optomist - that works great in a larger tank. If the OP is using a critter keeper it is AT LARGEST 3 gallons. If that tank is unfiltered, even a 3 gal will need 100% changes once a week with a 50% inbetween.

If it's a smaller critter keeper (2 or 1 gal) 100% changes would be needed more often.
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #8 
Bailmint

+1, 25% changes won't suffice in a tank that size. I only do partials on my 10g+ tanks.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #9 
Fenghuang

Could you have possibly forgotten the water conditioner? Was there any other chemicals that could have possibly gotten into the tank?

If you accliminate for that long, temperature shock should not have occurred.

I also change 100 percent of the water and have to remove the fish when I perform W/Cs on small tanks. I do not net them or chase them around the tank to remove them. I just simply cup them, do the change quickly, and then accliminate and reintroduce them. Stress should be minimal. I do not believe what OP described is a common reaction to simply being moved like that.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-16-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #10 
motaylor

I'm not using a tank, I'm using a pet keeper. Probably the largest one you can buy at Petco. Not filtered, No heater, No bubbler. So 2-3day / weekly changes are needed.

Removing the fish and sticking the fish in the cup will help me remove any slime/waste the fish/water has created since it's not filtered.

I do not use any conditioner since I'm on well water, I live in Texas. And when I have added conditioner it has always killed the fish so I have a total of 12 and all are doing fine without it - all healthy. This was a hiccup and I'm just glad he's doing fine.

Earlier I hadn't even stuck him in the water - he was still in the cup acclimating to the water. I make sure the water and the cup are the same temp with adding some of the new water every couple of minutes.

Yes I have thermometer, when I check it was on 74 - I feel as if he wasn't getting enough air - he's a big fish in a small Petco cup acclimating to water he was only in for 5 minutes

I hope that explains it well?

Thanks for trying to help me :)