Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #1 
IttyBittyBetta

Unhappy Getting rid of snails help!

I had a pond snail and algea problem in my tank so I decided to clean the whole thing, replace the gravel, plants, everything but the filter. I thought I had the problem beat but now a week later I find 2 baby pond snails!

I immediately squished them (sorry was that or slow death by flushing) and now I'm worried there are more hiding about.

What would be the best way to nip this problem in the bud?

I heard assasin snails will hunt down and eat them - if I only get 1 will that prevent it from breeding too? or are they self-fertilizers?

Or would th cucmber trick (tyying a slice on a string, weighing it down and bringing it up next morning) be enough to get them all?

I really wanna stop them before it becomes a problem again!

edit: also i have 2 marimo moss balls in the tank - would they try and eat it?
IttyBittyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #2 
UpNorthCritters

A cucumber or piece of lettuce would work. I'm a fan of squishing too - it's quick. I wouldn't flush them down the toilet in case they survive and end up in the sewer system. My pond snails didn't eat my moss ball but they cleaned it off pretty well.
UpNorthCritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #3 
CalicoKitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetta
I heard assasin snails will hunt down and eat them - if I only get 1 will that prevent it from breeding too? or are they self-fertilizers?
Assassin snails are not self-fertilizers or hermaphrodites; they are either male or female, like the mystery snail. If you get a female that has already bred, then she could lay eggs.. Otherwise, yes, only keeping one would prevent it from reproducing. :)

Quote:
Or would th cucmber trick (tyying a slice on a string, weighing it down and bringing it up next morning) be enough to get them all?
I mean, it probably wouldn't get ALL of them, but it would certainly help keep the population in check.

Quote:
edit: also i have 2 marimo moss balls in the tank - would they try and eat it?
Nope, don't worry about that. Despite that marimo moss balls are, in fact, a type of algae, pond snails don't eat them. :)

Edit: Oh, yeah, and +1 about UpNorthCritters' comment about not flushing snails. I don't think flushing them would be a good idea.

Last edited by CalicoKitties; 09-07-2014 at 01:39 AM.
CalicoKitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #4 
MameJenny

Why do you want to kill them? Pond snails and bladder snails don't eat healthy plants. They'll only let their population expand when they have plenty of food. If you take care of the algae problem and make sure you're not overfeeding the betta, their population will stay low on its own. I understand if you just can't stand how they look, but a small amount of them are just fine in a healthy tank.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #5 
UpNorthCritters

Not to get too far off topic, but I actually think pond snails are cool too. Once I found some that came in on some plants. They looked very different, so I set up a tank for them so I could learn about them. I had two kinds: a Physidae of some type (bladder snail) and Lymnaeidae peregra. The physa was black with a rusty stripes, very pretty. The lymnaeidae was a tawny color and grew to be over an inch long. Her shell was dextral and she had a really cute face. Very docile. Keeping the tank free of eggs and offspring was a nightmare though. I was going to dump the babies in a small lake until someone pointed out that's a huge no-no. You don't want to ruin the eco system by introducing non-native species. (Just passing that info along!) Pond snails can come from anywhere in the world depending on where you get the plants so odds are they aren't native. That's when I resorted to squishing. I did let the original snails live out their lives, which was about a year.
UpNorthCritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Assassin Snails will reproduce; however, they only have one offspring at a time so there's seldom an overload. Plus, most LFS will buy Assassin Snails and you can sell them here. They are not hard to ship.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote