Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #1 
thepapillon

One Gallon Tank :(

Despite my advice, my brother bought a filtered 1g tank for his stepson's betta. How often should the water be changed? Any other advice for a 1g tank?
thepapillon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #2 
Aly Homewood

For a 1 gallon I so a 30-50% change once a day, I have found that this schedule works pretty well, if that schedule is impossible, add 2 drops of seachem prime water conditioner every day and do a 50% water change every other day, in my experience, while certainly not advised, it is possible to keep a healthy betta in 1 gallon tank, although if you need another arguing point, you could say that a betta in a 1 gallon tank will most likely not be as active as one in a properly sized tank, other than water changes, make sure to baffle your filter or at least cover the intake so that the fish doesn't get knocked around by strong flow and suction, don't put too much decor in the tank because the swimming space is limited as it is without compromising it more with any decoration that doesn't serve a purpose also, be really careful about heating, I personally just keep room temperature at 78-82 degrees and don't even mess with trying to heat something that small. hope this helped!
Aly Homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #3 
thepapillon

Thanks for all of that very helpful information!! Question, if there were no filter on the tank how would the care differ?? Even more frequent changes? Or maybe 100% changes? Thanks!
thepapillon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #4 
Sadist

+1 Aly

If you can, low light live plants can be used as hiding spots. With the right lighting and time, they'll bush out sideways a bit and created nice hiding spots without hampering swimming space as bad as a solid cave.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #5 
Aly Homewood

"Thanks for all of that very helpful information!! Question, if there were no filter on the tank how would the care differ?? Even more frequent changes? Or maybe 100% changes? Thanks!"
If there were no filter I still wouldn't advocate frequent 100% water changes because it really stresses the fish and it's hard to match water conditions especially for a beginner (aka a child who has never had any fish keeping experience) I would say clean the gravel at least once a day with a turkey baster or gravel vac make other than that make absolutely sure to keep up on 50%-60% once a day, add two drops of seachem prime once a day and, when whoever it is can: buy a decent tank.
Aly Homewood is offline   Reply With Quote