Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #1 
Harrison and Owen

Pretty sure its fin rot for Owen

OK, I'm sure the dorsal fin has succumbed to fin rot. I'm a little depressed that he ended up with it….i do a twice weekly 40-50% water change and I have a heater keeping the temp stable at 78 but I guess that just didn't work. He did undergo a lot of stress when we went on vacation….being moved tank and all to my mom's house for a week, but there was nothing I could do about that. I was always told bettas were hardy fish and I'm not so sure about that, honestly.

Obviously, this rot is no longer mild…his dorsal is almost completely gone. Should I use tetracycline? I put an IAL in his tank today. He is due for a water change tomorrow, so I'll do that….should I step up water changes to every other day or something? I also read on another betta site that I should be aging his water changes….I used to do this, but I stopped. Maybe I should start again?

He is in a 5 gallon Aqueon tank, filtered. We use Prime as a water conditioner….should I switch to Stress Coat?
Harrison and Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

If you're sure it's fin rot, I would put him in a quarantine container for easy water changes. Use 1 tsp of Aquarium salt if you have it for 7-10 days with daily 100% water changes, and do a massive water change on the 5 gallon when he is ready to go back in. You can use a little IAL in the QT tank as well. When he goes back in the tank, I just reccomend doing a few more water changes to make sure the water stays clean for him.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote