Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2015, 03:02 AM   #1 
blckjckjezza

Question dirt on tank and betta tail bite

Hi guys. Is this normal whenever changing the water or do i need to perform a 100% water change? As you can see, there are like "dust" on the water. I do 50% water change with aq salt daily right now because my betta is suffering from torn tails. Any other suggestions on how it will grow back faster aside from aq salt?
Attached Images

blckjckjezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #2 
sainthogan

That is normal, it is part of the beneficial bacteria that live in the gravel and on the decorations. Warm, clean water is the best thing for tail regrowth. Aquarium salt helps prevent infection. Make sure you are following the directions exactly, and don't use it for longer than 14 days. I have seen pictures of fish from salt burns, it's not pretty. If he is biting his tail, you will need to determine what is causing it in order to try to help him stop. Some do it out of sheer boredom, others from stress, lack of hiding places, the tail is "too heavy" or gets in the way, and for some it's just habit.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A good quality, high protein food also helps regrowth. If you can, upgrade his diet to New Life Spectrum Betta or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Or find a food what has a fish protein as the first ingredient and less filler. That Tetra food is not the best.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #4 
blckjckjezza

Thank you very much :)
blckjckjezza is offline   Reply With Quote