Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #1041 
MNWILDBETTA

Here are a couple pics of my male albis with eggs in their mouth trying to spar.

MNWILDBETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #1042 
MNWILDBETTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-vr9U1DAGM

That is a link to the video of them sparring.
MNWILDBETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #1043 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDBETTA View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-vr9U1DAGM

That is a link to the video of them sparring.
look good...i like it
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #1044 
Catie79

I'm getting betta miniopinna! I'm so excited. I wanted to see if some of you guys with more experience with the coccina complex had a recommendation for how to keep them: in a group or in pairs? I can have three 5 gallon tanks, or one bigger tank to house the group. I'm mostly worried about what would make them more comfortable/interested in breeding.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #1045 
LittleBettaFish

I am getting miniopinna from Hermanus too. If you want these fish to spawn you want to keep them in pairs only. I get little to no spawning activity in my group tanks.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #1046 
Catie79

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know. Not surprising, considering how my imbellis act in the group set up, but I'd heard some accounts of active breeding in a group. I'll set up 5 gallon tanks and keep them in pairs.

I figured they were for you when he mentioned 2 pair going to Australia. :)
Old 12-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #1047 
LittleBettaFish

I'm not getting both pairs, only one. I'm not sure who is getting the other pair. Apparently mine are coming on the next shipment to Oz which means I should hopefully be getting them at the end of January.

A 5 gallon tank should be fine for a pair, just watch for any aggression between the males and females. Some fish from this complex can be particularly violent and so it's something to be mindful of when keeping them.

Not sure if you've ever owned coccina complex species before, but to get the best colour out of these species you want extremely tannin stained water with a dark substrate. I've found light substrates, clear water etc. the fish will only show good colouration when spawning. However, if you keep them I suggested above, they will generally show good colouration most of the time.

This complex can be sensitive to velvet (I've never had any issues with stock from Hermanus in this regard), and with the amount of iridescence they have it can be hard to pick up. If a fish suddenly starts clamping its fins excessively, seems listless and has a poor appetite, I would suspect velvet.

Finally, to get successful spawning from this species generally requires extremely soft/low pH water. It is possible to get a spawn in more neutral conditions, but these are a rare species, and you want your tank to be as conductive to spawning as possible.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #1048 
Catie79

Breeding is my utmost priority. I've got peat moss and IAL standing by, along with my RO machine, so hoping to get them the type of water they like. Drift wood, java moss, leaf litter, and heavy lids. I think I'm going to see if my scuds can be acclimatized to water with a low pH. If they can, I'll let them set up shop in the tanks to give the new arrivals something to hunt right away. I won't be getting them until February, should be enough time to get the scuds reproducing. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #1049 
LittleBettaFish

Sounds like you have everything covered.

The coccina complex is the only complex of wild bettas I collect. I think the species within it are the most beautiful of all the wild bettas. You just need to get their conditions right.

I am so hoping my miniopinna pair get to my house okay. They have to go from Indonesia to Bangkok, Bangkok to QLD (stay there for seven days in quarantine) and then QLD to my house down at the other end of the country.

It will also be interesting to see how closely they resemble my group of Betta persephone.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #1050 
Catie79

I'll be right there with you, fretting through the import process. I don't have to do the 7 day quarantine, but I do have to send them to Florida, then up to New Hampshire.

I'll distract myself by crafting lovely tanks in the meantime.