Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #101 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Oh okay. I was just curious.
I probably won't be breeding at all unless I get obsessed or something, not that I'll mind or anything but my Fiance' might >.< Fiance' <333
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #102 
LittleBettaFish

Nah it's fine. I always encourage people to learn more about the other species of bettas out there as they are a very different ballgame to splendens and if you are willing to dedicate the time and effort to their care, very rewarding to own and breed.

Only downside is they are such notorious little jumpers! Sometimes I think mine must teleport onto the floor as there is no other way for them to get down there.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #103 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Awwe, I have been reading up on them here and have seen a lot of people do have the jumping problem. I guess they get so excited about have a new home the jump with excitement!!! lol
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #104 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Can you hepl me with something?

On my signature I added one of those little pixel pictures and it says its attached but it doesn't show up, any idea why?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #105 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGurl View Post
A little test here . One of these fish is a hybrid. Can you guess which one?
The bottom one is the hybride of mahachai and imbellis
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #106 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
The bottom one is the hybride of mahachai and imbellis
They are SOP prettyyyyyyyyy. *stares in awe*
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #107 
LittleBettaFish

I now have only two Betta splendens and they will not be replaced when they pass unless I find a fish I absolutely have to have.

My wild bettas on the other hand, are doing great. Took the last group of fish out of the hospital tank for velvet treatment and they are showing no signs of sickness or ill-effect. So hopefully they will get back on track with spawning and I will be able to get some fry from them.

Finally my unimaculata fry are big enough for the camera to focus on without a macro lens. Their bellies are full of grindal worms so they look like little blimps here.

Persephone are also doing well. As you can see, quite a size difference between the first and last hatchings haha

This is both of their tanks (unimaculata and persephone) side-by-side. Unimaculata just got moved into a bigger grow-out a day or so ago.

My brownorum who just came out of hospital, new tank.

I have replaced 50% of the sand in my tanks with peat moss as I think the sand was raising the pH and causing my fish to not be as healthy. Just need to buy some more peat moss so I can finish doing the rest of the tanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #108 
babystarz

Hey guys, long time no see! Sorry I haven't checked in lately, my computer is basically useless at the moment so I can only log in here on other peoples' computers.

I am glad to see the continued interest in wild species, I'll be going back over this thread and reading up on what people seem most interested in and maybe find more resources and academic articles that cover such things. If there's one skill I honed in college, it was academic research :P

As for my own fishies, they're doing good overall! I did lose one imbellis, it was acting sickly for quite a while. It wouldn't eat anything but brine shrimp, but even with those it eventually passed away. The 5 remaining imbellis are growing rapidly and I'm finally able to sex them with I would say 75% accuracy. I have one dominant male, as with the other community tanks, and at least one more male. The rest appear to be female.

The albimarginata continue to be my favorites! Their tank is the jewel of my collection of NPT tanks. I ordered them a whole jungle and it's growing in nicely. I have one dominant male who shows off full dress ("full dress" for those who are unfamiliar with the term, refers to a healthy, virile male betta in peak color condition and flashing his brightest shades, generally in order to attract females). I also have one gregarious female that he really likes. I also have a smaller male that he likes to pick on a little (but not much, they are a peaceful species). And I also have one female who is incredibly timid and prefers to hide in the plants, although even she gets curious enough to come out and stare at me if I'm in front of the tank. Her coloration is much lighter than the other three, and she has the most adorable blush-colored cheeks. I suspect she might be descended from fish that came from a different locality than the ancestors of the other three, but it's really hard to tell these things with fish born into the aquarium trade. I think she will produce some fantastic color variation in fry if she ever calms down enough to breed. She is very easily stressed, and when I moved her into the 20 Long tank she was the most difficult to catch, I think I gave her an anxiety attack. Everyone is doing very well now though, they've been in the new tank for a few weeks and I can tell they love it.

The smaragdina pair is the same XD Still quite skittish, although the male is getting more used to me. He is gorgeous when he's out in the open, that greenish copper color gets me every time. Natural metallics are jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Edit: LBF I just read your post, it's so funny that you have a fish rack in your bedroom and refuse to paint your walls because it's so much work to move the fish. I also have a fish rack in my bedroom, and refuse to paint the walls because the idea of moving my 20 gallon tanks doesn't appeal to me at all XD I do need to get my big desk out, it was temporary surface area for tanks. I need to get the 20 gal on it over to the top of the metal shelves I have on the other side of the room. I've been putting it off for a while now lol!

Last edited by babystarz; 11-13-2012 at 02:18 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #109 
LittleBettaFish

Albimarginata are cute in a dopey sort of way. I just got tired of how like guppies they are with their constant fry making. Channoides are very much the same. Once mine got into the swing of things I never saw my nice males as they were always holding. So enjoy them while you get to see them in full colours.

It seems a lot of the time people are drawn more towards one type or complex of fish. The splendens complex seems the most popular on this forum. I personally prefer the coccina complex (obviously) but I just wish they were easier to sex so I could get some more guaranteed male/female breeding pairs.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...tilans&f=false

This hopefully should come up on a page with some information about wild betta species. I found it had a decent amount of information about some of the species.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #110 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...tilans&f=false

This hopefully should come up on a page with some information about wild betta species. I found it had a decent amount of information about some of the species.
This book is fantastic, I have it on my coffee table!

There are some really tempting wilds on AB right now, it's a good thing I'm broke :P The macrostoma are especially *want* but I think they're a bit advanced for me. I don't have a lot of experience with messing with pH levels.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote