Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #1141 
Warbler

OK thank goodness. :D
So then would the only benefit of a trio be that the female has more choice in a mate?
Also, these are actual F1 wild bettas. I've heard that wild bettas tend to be more picky, but that simplex is hardier and likes harder water (mine is around 7.4). Do you think they will acclimate alright or should I give them special attention during the first few weeks?
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #1142 
LittleBettaFish

F1 are captive bred stock so they should be fine. I think most of those smaller mouthbrooders and even most of the bigger species, are pretty adaptable.

I have wild-caught fish from perhaps the most difficult complex and they are all fine living here with me.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #1143 
Warbler

Oops, I meant wild caught fish. Sorry about that (so would F0 be the proper term or is just saying wild caught more straight forward?).
But thank you so much for the information! Now to catch and move my cherry shrimp and prep the tank.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #1144 
LittleBettaFish

I usually just say wild-caught. I think some people may abbreviate it as WC .

Haha you should leave the cherry shrimp in. Your simplex will appreciate the snack.

Also, one very big word of warning. Please cover the tank entirely so that there is not the slightest gap (around the heating/filter cords especially) for your wilds to jump through.

I use cling wrap over all my wild betta tanks nowadays as I have lost well over a dozen to jumping. They will find the smallest gap possible and get out if they can and it is devastating to find them dried up on the floor.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 AM   #1145 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I also use cling-wrap. And I cover a third of the top of the tank with a towel. This "shade" mimics marginal vegetation, which they like. It covers where the cord and airline exits from the tank.

Let'em try and jump through that.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 AM   #1146 
LittleBettaFish

I put towels over my tanks at night. It's probably not necessary with my smaller wilds but night seems to be when they are more likely to jump out.

I did have a unimaculata female tear through the corner of my cling wrap once. Found her halfway across the floor. The bigger mouthbrooders are so strong and such agile jumpers.

Got this photo tonight of my lone brownorum male. He is unrelated to any of the other brownorum I own and came from the local wholesaler here in Melbourne. Because he has been exposed to velvet I cannot sell him in good faith, so he just gets to live out his life here with me.

I very rarely see him out and about so I took the opportunity today to get a photograph of him.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:03 AM   #1147 
Setsuna

nice pictures
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #1148 
Catladywithafish

Love seeing all the different bettas
Catladywithafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #1149 
William Zhong

Nice fish, hope i can catches that fish in the wild, im just caught Trichopsis Schalleri, hope you like this :D

William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #1150 
Warbler

Wow! It must be awesome to be able to catch those species of fish...are you allowed to keep them or do they have to be released?
I also have a question about my wild bettas. I ended up getting a pair of betta albimarginata, and they are beautiful and doing well. Today I went up to their tank and the male was coloured up but hiding while the female had vertical stripes, and they were hanging very close to each other. It seems that, after only a week in my tank and minimal food (bloodworm colony mishap!) they had decided to breed. The male is looking kind of funny though; it doesn't seem like he's holding, but he's got a big lump where I assume his stomach is. Is this normal, or did he just swallow all of the eggs and they are just sitting there now? Either way he's not eating. I've included some terrible pictures, but you can just make out the lump.
Name:  Sick1.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  44.8 KB
Name:  Sick3.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  42.8 KB