Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #221 
babystarz

They are peaceful, and very curious about me. You can see by the way they're posing that they come right up to the front of the tank to look at me. They do get spooked sometimes and jump, and since they're so big they can jump high. I have the tank lid taped down around the edges. I should probably reinforce the tape too.

The bigger female looks like she could be eggy to me. She's round in the right spot.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #222 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Aww. I find them interesting what they lack in colors they make up in personality.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #223 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah definitely be careful with their jumping abilities. They will find the smallest possible gap and squeeze through it so don't leave the lid off for a second unattended. My unimaculata and ideii used to jump out at me during feeding because they got so excited and unlike splendens they actually get right out of the tank.

The bettas of that complex are very personable though and extreme pigs. My unimaculata male used to sit vertically in the water waiting for me to drop in some food. Reminded me of a begging dog haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #224 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

How do you seal all spots in an aquarium?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #225 
LittleBettaFish

For my smaller wilds I just use cling wrap as that goes over all the cords.

For my bigger wilds such as ideii and unimaculata I use a glass lid and then cling wrap over the top of that. As my unimaculata were wild-caught and obsessed with smashing into the top glass I would put a towel over that for extra protection.

I once had a tiny little gap where I had knocked the corner of the lid off my tussyae juvenile tank. Lost 4/5 fry in the two hours I was gone out. Death by jumping is still the main killer of my wild bettas as even when I think my tanks are escape proof they prove me wrong.

I have only lost my unimaculata female lately as she jumped out and must have injured herself falling from my rack because I found her a few minutes later.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #226 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would also use a very tall tank and use part of it.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #227 
LittleBettaFish

The bigger ones can jump extremely high. The trouble with wilds is if they want to get out they are going to get out. My ideii female's party trick is to jump at you while you are feeding her. She is as big as a macrostoma and so a very athletic jumper.

Splendens are nothing compared to how jumpy wilds can be. I think sometimes with mine the cats spook them in the night and so they get a fright and shoot upwards rather than downwards.

With that said I had my rutilans with a lid that only half covered their tank for around a year and they never once attempted to jump out. Now I have it fully covered as they are too important to me to lose.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #228 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Tell me about your Rutilens?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #229 
LittleBettaFish

What do you want to know? They were my first real foray into wild bettas and when I got them they were extremely small and I believe wild-caught.

Mine are different from most rutilans in that they are not red but have a green sheen down their sides. Apparently they are called Betta sp. cf. rutilans green.

They are pretty slow maturing and my first group of fry only just reached adult size at around a year of age.

They caught velvet recently and I lost two or three of their offspring but managed to get everyone else back to health.

Now at two years old they have given me 20 odd fry that I am currently growing out.

They are quite an aggressive species, but very prolific once you get conditions right. My male can easily spawn once or twice a week, but catching all the fry before they die off or get eaten by older siblings is another thing altogether.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #230 
LittleBettaFish

These are my rutilans before they got velvet and I separated out the parents