ChoclateBetta
Banned

What about the not moving?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #242 
Hallyx
Reference Team

LBF,

I like your new avatar. Is that your last remaining slendens?

Why is your water not weird and yellow like mine? I have IAL in there now. It doesn't make my smarigdina's colors "pop." In fact it makes him harder to see.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #243 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
What about the not moving?
She was just hanging out, she does that. I think she freezes when she's scared sometimes. I saw her swimming around the tank today, Mr. Smaragdina thinks he can make her love him if he chases her around lol. He's made a new bubble nest and he's determined to corral her over to it. I recently put a lot more IAL into their tank and they seem a little more active now, like they're comfortable being out in the open areas now that the water is dark.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #244 
LittleBettaFish

Hallyx, that is one of my two remaining splendens. Unfortunately, my beautiful little CT female has a massive tumor forming on her top lip and I will not be able to afford to replace her until I can find a job.

I have to spend my remaining money on boring but necessary things such as Prime water conditioner, IAL and blackworms haha.

Also, I don't know why your water is cloudy and mine isn't. When I first set-up a tank with lots of peat moss and IAL the water always goes cloudy and the glass gets like a slime layer built-up on it. However, I do 25% water changes once every second day on my wild betta tanks so after a couple of water changes the cloudiness and slime go away.

I do also have a sponge filter in each of my tanks as I find with no filter you get cloudy water.

But the water in all of my tanks is pretty clear unless I am impatient with my water changes and stir up all the peat moss. Also most of the glass on my tanks is low iron so it makes for awesome pictures.

In other news, Mrs Ideii escaped her breeders' net into my brother's community tank, which also houses my licorice gouramis and unimaculata male. Last time she got out she killed this annoying smelt like fish that would always constantly be harassing everyone. Then when I was trying to get her back in my blasted unimaculata started attacking my hand and splashing around thinking it was dinner.

So I have decided that they are going to share a divided 15 gallon tank. Going to buy some nice ceramic 'breeding' caves for them each and fill up each side with hydrilla, duckweed and java moss. Then they can just live downstairs with a very heavy duty lid on.

Didn't want to chance putting them together as she can be very mean and is about two times his size. Hopefully, I get a female from his fry that I can pair him up with at a later date.

Also moved my tussyae juvenile's tank next to my unimaculata grow-out and it is loving having all that company through the glass. Its colour has all come back and all the unimaculata crowd on one side looking in at what their neighbour has to eat.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #245 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My IAL is not working the best.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #246 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
My IAL is not working the best.
How so?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #247 
Hallyx
Reference Team

My water isn't cloudy at all. It's just amber from the IAL. I tried Rooibos a few weeks ago. The water got quite dark and more brownish than IAL. Made the fish nearly impossible to see. He could sneak right up to the feeding stick without my seeing him until he was almost on it.

With IAL I can see him better (those few seconds during feeding) but his natural coloration is obscured by the tint and his contrasting colors don't stand out at all.

Mostly I was wondering why your pictures don't look yellowish like mine.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #248 
babystarz

My wild-caught Betta Patoti pair has arrived in the U.S.! Just waiting for them to get to me from the trans shipper :)

This is the pic provided by the seller. I'm not sure if the male's mouth is really that blue, or if it's just a result of light reflecting and the camera catching it:

Old 12-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #249 
LittleBettaFish

Oh the water in my tanks is really dark brown. I just chuck a T5HO 50 watt light over the top of my tanks when taking a photo so it washes out a lot of the tannins.

My persephone grow-out tank looks orange usually as I have about 5 or so medium-sized IALs in there at any one time.

This one is a good example of how dark I keep my tanks.

Ignore how messy everything looks. My set-up is a bit slicker looking now since I changed things around.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #250 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
How so?
It gets super soggy and ready to break the first day.