Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #251 
LittleBettaFish

What grade leaf are you using? Could have something to do with it. Mine usually take a day or two to sink and then break down fully after a few weeks of being submersed.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #252 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
It gets super soggy and ready to break the first day.
Sometimes breaking it into smaller chunks before putting it in the water helps, at least then when the leaf bits sink they're not covering up half the tank. As long as the tannins are getting into the water you're good. Or if you want Carter to be able to blow bubble nests under them, you could use tape to attach the leaf to the sides of the tank to help prevent sinking for a while.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #253 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

C Grade.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #254 
LittleBettaFish

Does C grade have holes in it? Maybe that has something to do it.

I wouldn't worry too much if the leaf goes soggy. I have skeletons of IALs (no actual leaf left, just the veins) and they don't cause any issues. Like Babystarz says as long as they are still providing tannins that is all that really matters.

I finally got my dad's camcorder thing working so decided to shoot a video of my fry in their grow-outs. Will try and get a video tour of all my wild betta tanks this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tHa1_xVsI
Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #255 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post

I wouldn't worry too much if the leaf goes soggy. I have skeletons of IALs (no actual leaf left, just the veins) and they don't cause any issues.
Yep me too, IAL leaf litter is found in their natural habitats so I keep the leaves in with them until they disintegrate. Eventually I pull out a bare stick.

My grade C's have cracks in them so I would say 3 out of 4 sink in the first 48 hours. I've had one that floated for almost two weeks though.

LBF I can't wait for the video tour!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #256 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Where did you get the live food holder? I dont think IAL is all in there habitat probaly just better than other leaves actualy in there habitat and easier to cultivate. The bark of the teee is used in Cancer and other parts for other problems.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #257 
LittleBettaFish

I have started using alder cones in my tanks as apparently they are good at softening water and providing tannins. I also use alder leaves (we have three big trees in our yard) although they don't last as long as IAL or oak.

I am planning with my new wild pairs on using only peat moss on the bottom and then covering this in a 3-4 inch leaf litter with IAL, oak and alder. I'll be using some manzanita twigs and clay pipes as shelters and covering the surface in duckweed to assist with water quality.

Got a lot of inspiration from foreign (French and German in particular) forums. Thank God for Google Translate for at least being able to provide the gist of what each post means!

I will be talking my way through my tour so everyone can see as I butcher the pronunciations of each species.

The worm cones are like a couple of bucks each from online. Your LFS or an online site should sell them.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #258 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Our LFS closed down plus they had terrible variety they said live plants are bad for aquariums.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #259 
LittleBettaFish

If you want them, you can order them from online sites. They are cheap as chips and handy if you are feeding live worms.

However, since I get things in bulk the cost of shipping isn't too bad. If you are only after one it might not be worth it. I just use them as it makes my fish actually come up out of their hiding place so I can check them over and they can get used to my presence outside the tank.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #260 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What kind of foods can I keep in it?