Banned

Sponge Filters and IAL grow food.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #272 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Sponge Filters and IAL grow food.
This is true, but the babies get too big to see it pretty fast. Then they need slightly bigger live food. And live food can get all over the place.

The low water level is also required for two other reasons. 1, the babies don't need to swim far for air, and before that, the dad doesn't have to swim far putting eggs/non-swimming babies back in the nest (and with up to 100 eggs, thats hundreds of trips between the nest and the tank bottom). And 2, the humid layer of air in between the top of the water and the lid is crucial for proper labyrinth organ development. So having plenty of space there for water vapor to go is a good idea. Of course, this will vary to a degree depending on the breeder and technique.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #273 
Mo

This thread is AWESOME
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #274 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
This thread is AWESOME
It's definitely my favorite I hope the length doesn't scare anyone away!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #275 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
This thread is AWESOME
+1^ The people who find it interesting will not be put off by its length.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #276 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
This is true, but the babies get too big to see it pretty fast. Then they need slightly bigger live food. And live food can get all over the place.

The low water level is also required for two other reasons. 1, the babies don't need to swim far for air, and before that, the dad doesn't have to swim far putting eggs/non-swimming babies back in the nest (and with up to 100 eggs, thats hundreds of trips between the nest and the tank bottom). And 2, the humid layer of air in between the top of the water and the lid is crucial for proper labyrinth organ development. So having plenty of space there for water vapor to go is a good idea. Of course, this will vary to a degree depending on the breeder and technique.
Yeah I know but they still get a little extra food.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #277 
babystarz

The patoti are here!! A slight mixup with the post office meant they spent the weekend there, but they are totally fine. I assumed they might be rather shy at first, being wild-caught, but they're not AT ALL. They're very curious about me and exploring their temporary digs in my 10 gal with no hesitation. If this is what they look like when they're stressed, I can't wait to see them colored up. They got a little overexcited about the imbellis tank next door so I put up a barrier. I also taped the heck out of the tank lid so I can't open it until I remove the tape XD I figure I'm better safe than sorry when it comes to jumping, especially because that tank is a bit full, and on the top shelf. Fortunately the fish don't appear to startle easily.

I am moving them to the a 20 gal as soon as I ship the smaragdina pair to Setsuna (which I was supposed to do today, but that got pushed to tomorrow). I moved the light away from the patoti tank to let them settle in, I'll take pics tomorrow.

I left some pellets in with them, to see if they recognize them as food.

Last edited by babystarz; 12-17-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #278 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What species?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #279 
LittleBettaFish

If you mean Babystarz, she is talking about Betta patoti. A large mouthbrooder from the unimaculata complex.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #280 
LittleBettaFish

Here are some quick photo updates of my fry and juvies in the grow-outs. Unimaculata fry are growing incredibly fast. Forgot how fast the growth rate is with the bigger guys compared to my 'reaches adult size in a year' coccina complex species.

Rutilans are also growing nicely. They have accepted my lone brownorum fry into their folds (it was getting outstripped in growth by the unimaculata and thought it would get eaten or bullied) and aside from a couple of very young fry in there, they are all eating grindals and growing in their ventral fins.

Persephone are trudging along nicely as well. They are all getting quite big now so will someday soon have to move them into a 2ft tank to give them more space to get away from each other.

Finally my tussyae juvenile/sub-adult is much happier in his/her new location. It's out and about all the time now and coloured up a lot more. Although in these photos it wasn't happy with the bright light being moved over its tank.

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote