Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #291 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah cool water changes, particularly if you are feeding lots of live foods always gets wild bettas spawning. I always do water changes with slightly cooler water when I am doing my wild betta tanks.

They aren't from the same spawn, just the same parents. My male spawned about 3-4 times before I got in there and collected all the fry I could find out. I don't have as many as I could have if I did it in a purpose built spawning tank but at two years old their purpose in life isn't to breed, just to live happily.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #292 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

How many spawns do you get from a pair?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #293 
LittleBettaFish

Well when they are feeling up to it, some of my wild pairs can spawn once every week. Usually it's once every two weeks as that gives the male time to recover and put back on some condition that he loses while guarding the nest.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #294 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #295 
PitGurl

Guitar fry are finally eating BBS....
Attached Images

PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #296 
LittleBettaFish

They look so tiny Pitgurl! I suppose it won't be long before they start looking less like tadpoles and more like fish.

Have you tried to spawn the parents again, or just leaving them until you grow out your fry? I suppose at least smaragdina are slightly easier care wise than some other species so you probably have a broader market if you do sell any. The splendens complex seems a good one for those new to wild betta species. They are still fairly similar to domesticated splendens and don't need a super low pH or a particularly large tank to be happy.

Got some exciting news of my own regarding my two palangkarensis pairs. They are all in together again after the females got through the divider and then it fell over so I put in heaps of leaf litter to help give the males some space. This included a whole heap of oak leaves my dad kindly collected from down his front driveway.

Today one of the females was looking so barred up she looked like a zebra. I've never seen her so colourful and one of the males is stalking her around the tank (I think it's the bigger, more dominant one). I chucked some more oak leaves up top in case he was thinking of building a nest, and they have plenty of terracotta pots as other options.

So hope they spawn for me. I love this species and it would be great to get some fry of my own now that everyone has finally recovered.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #297 
babystarz

I can confirm now that both of my ocellata males are definitely holding eggs :) One has gone into complete seclusion, the other pops out to say hi but then turns away from food to go back to his corner and sit and wait.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #298 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I find it interesting you can keep them in pairs.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #299 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I find it interesting you can keep them in pairs.
It's pretty awesome, they're very affectionate with each other. They like to rub up against each other, it's sort of like the fish version of cuddling :) The females are very protective of the two males right now, like they're on guard duty to keep them safe.

The patoti were really happy to see me today. They already know which corner of the tank to station themselves at for food :P They are honestly the least shy wild bettas I've ever seen and I think it's so funny, because they were born in the wild and the rest of my wilds are captive-bred! They seem to enjoy me being around.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #300 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do you name your fish?