Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #331 
LittleBettaFish

Ripariums have no land element while paludariams do. I was thinking of setting up my macrostoma tank as a sort of riparium with a couple of plants (thinking peace lilies) in plastic shower caddies along the back. Thought maybe the overhanging foliage might make them feel more secure.

However, it's not a very tall tank (only 35cm long) as I wanted long and wide when I got it made. So thinking maybe just have some branches poking out of the water and tying some mosses to these instead.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #332 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Aluminum plants are great too. I have them in my HOB.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #333 
LittleBettaFish

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show143.html

Also here is a wild betta paludarium that looks pretty sweet. I would have had more leaf litter or peat moss in the water section though.

My mum hates aluminium plants so since it is her tank I couldn't have anything. Nothing variegated she said haha.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #334 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do you think Bettas like the wild feel?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #335 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show143.html

Also here is a wild betta paludarium that looks pretty sweet. I would have had more leaf litter or peat moss in the water section though.

My mum hates aluminium plants so since it is her tank I couldn't have anything. Nothing variegated she said haha.
Wow, that is as close to their natural habitat setting as I've ever seen someone accomplish. A bit more leaf litter and it'd be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Do you think Bettas like the wild feel?
I think so. At least, they seem more comfortable the right amount of plant cover. Especially with floating plants/IAL they seem bolder and more likely to come right up to the front of the tank to peer at me.

Last edited by babystarz; 12-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #336 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow if Carters tank wasnt already built I would like to have one someday.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #337 
LittleBettaFish

Well since I put more leaves in my wild betta tanks I hardly ever see them as they spend all their time sneaking around in the leaf litter. When I do see them they are always fully coloured and looking very healthy.

My fry also love having leaves added to their tank. If I put some in with my grow-outs there are big fights over who gets to sit under the choice ones. It's like as soon as you drop in some leaves they have to go and sit under them.

My coccina complex bettas are also obsessed with anything that resembles a cave or tunnel. I just put a film canister floating around in my rutilans F1 tank and they are all up hanging around in it checking it out. They definitely enjoy investigating new things.

I enjoy providing a comfortable home for my wild bettas. Having looked at a lot of what their habitat is like in the wild I can see why they are so snakey in shape having to always be slithering through leaf litter and the roots or stems of plants.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #338 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think the ripariums really help fish that jump to get there food.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #339 
LittleBettaFish

Well my biggest rutilans offspring Cannibal Lecter has taken up prime position inside of the film canister. everyone else will just have to deal with it haha.

Was scrolling through my PB account and found this shot of my rutilans female when she was young and tiny.

She wasn't looking too well last time I saw her so I have had to put her into a hospital tank and hope for the best. Thinking maybe the velvet knocked her immune system around a bit. Will be sad if there isn't a single female out of any of their offspring to carry on the line.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #340 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I like tanks where finding the fish is hard it has a more fun feeling. Plus when they come to see you it means more.