Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #381 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Also. Are you talking about the mahachai?

I know, lol. I mean you hatch them, then raise em to adults
I want to breed the Adult Brineshrimp.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #382 
Mo

I understand that, once they are adults, then let them breed. It's really easy, clean water + food and they'll breed. Not rocket science, lol :p
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #383 
babystarz

Video of the babies:
http://youtu.be/LeSq-KNJwqA

Well, two of them anyway. The others are still too shy to come see me. My tablet takes nice video, I wish I had a stand for it though so my shakiness wouldn't affect things so much (being a barista means I'm constantly twitchy from all the coffee I drink lmao). I will be filming videos of all my wild species tomorrow for you all who are interested in seeing them. I think videos are the best way to learn about their behavior :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #384 
LittleBettaFish

Betta fry are so cute. The best stage is when they look like little miniatures of their adult selves. Look forward to seeing your other videos.

I have found I get too attached to my wild betta fry. I have all these fry growing out and really no intention of selling any but the unimaculata haha. I think my fish room is eventually just going to be full of my homebred wild species.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #385 
babystarz

I am really attached to these guys already too. Especially because even at this young age, they have picked out their favorite spots in the tank and stick around there, meaning I can tell individuals apart by their location (if not their appearance lol). The one who likes to chill by the end of the cholla wood log in front and ham it up for the camera I have been calling Sparky.

I have another coincidental anecdote too! I had a temporary space crunch and moved the 4 imbellis in with the 2 smaragdina just for a few days and some super interesting behavior changes have happened! Not only is Mrs. Smaragdina showing her face now, she's basically schooling with the imbellis and coming right up to the front of the tank to see me! Turns out she wasn't afraid of me so much as Mr. Smaragdina. Now that there are four other fish for him to bother, she isn't feeling quite as vulnerable. Very interesting. Note: the imbellis are still too young to breed, this is the only reason I could confidently mix the species in one tank. Otherwise I wouldn't risk it due to the possible hybrids resulting.

Mr. Smaragdina is having the time of his life with these other fish to pester. He swims up to them and starts poking at them lol. He doesn't attack or flare really, just bugs them like a clueless stalker. No wonder Mrs. Smaragdina hid all the time, I'd be annoyed by the guy too ROFL! Poor guy needs some babies to care for or something.

My bbs from the ill-fated batch that didn't get aerated actually did have a surprisingly decent hatch rate, enough to feed 20 fry until the next batch anyway! I'm not sure at what point I should drain the bbs tank and clean the hatchery out. The instructions say every hatch but I think I can get away with 2-3 hatches and then clean so there's a more consistent food supply. Also just got my new micro worm culture in the mail.

Last edited by babystarz; 12-31-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #386 
babystarz

More cool news. I emailed Cody about the ocellata fry to thank him for the easy-to-breed fish. He has 100+ unimaculata fry and he's going to send me 5 (he needs more room) in exchange for the same from my patoti pair when they get around to spawning :) I told him that between us we're going to have quite the unimaculata complex factory going lol.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #387 
LittleBettaFish

Unimaculata are my favourite of that whole complex. In a way I am sort of glad my female unimaculata died. Don't think I could cope with having to grow-out and get rid of 100 odd unimaculata fry. The 16 I have is more than enough.

I wish I knew what my burdigala pair were doing. Yesterday they were up in the film canister together so I thought they were perhaps spawning. Now my male is swimming around the entire tank fully coloured up (this species when coloured up is IMO the most spectacular looking wild betta species) and flaring at my finger because I dared put it up to the glass.

I got him all worked up yesterday because I put a mirror up against the glass hehe. However, I wish he would stop showing off and go back to spawning. They were actually embracing yesterday but now he is just chasing her around. Turd.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #388 
LittleBettaFish

ARGH!!! Since my burdigala male has just been swimming around I thought they must not have spawned. Turns out I was wrong as I just did my water change and all these eggs came out of the film canister.

Luckily he seems to be a good daddy and is going out to collect the eggs that have floated out. No wonder he was being aggro this morning. He practically leapt out from under the leaf litter when he saw me putting the film canister back in.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #389 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I really like Betta Fusca.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #390 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
ARGH!!! Since my burdigala male has just been swimming around I thought they must not have spawned. Turns out I was wrong as I just did my water change and all these eggs came out of the film canister.

Luckily he seems to be a good daddy and is going out to collect the eggs that have floated out. No wonder he was being aggro this morning. He practically leapt out from under the leaf litter when he saw me putting the film canister back in.
Oh no that sucks, sorry LBF! At least it sounds like most of the eggs are ok.