Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #31 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
the bottom one as he is much thicker through the body and just has a different look to him.
I was leaning toward the bottom one but I couldn't explain why. Now that you've pointed it out I totally see it though.

My imbellis juveniles will eat anything I give them and I can tell they love the taste of the NLS pellets I give them, but they can't swallow them. I have to crush them up or they just keep trying to eat them and spitting them out. Is there something similar but smaller anyone can recommend?

Also the smaragdina will not touch the pellets. So far they have only eaten frozen bloodworms. What live food will have the highest protein content?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #32 
LittleBettaFish

I feed live blackworms, live whiteworms, live brine shrimp and then frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms to my wilds. Some will take pellets (my aquarium raised adults and fry will) but most prefer live or frozen.

Got these shots of my Betta brownorum (think it is my dominant male and one of the females) and what I think is my Betta uberis male. The colours on these guys is spectacular even if they hate the light on them. Would have been nicer without the water stained glass. Have to get up their and clean it next time.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #33 
buddhauser

Littlebettafish what are you planning to do with your fry? Im very intrigued by the wild species after looking into this
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #34 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Got these shots of my Betta brownorum (think it is my dominant male and one of the females) and what I think is my Betta uberis male. The colours on these guys is spectacular even if they hate the light on them. Would have been nicer without the water stained glass. Have to get up their and clean it next time.
They're absolutely gorgeous!

I'm worried about my smaragdina female :( I saw her at the bottom of the tank and slightly tilted onto her side. I can't tell if she just wasn't moving because she was scared or if she isn't feeling well. I don't want to terrify her more by moving her out of the tank so I'm not sure what to do. Should I move the male out instead and use the 10 gal to QT her? I can easily move the plants out.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #35 
LittleBettaFish

I keep around 90% of the fry I breed. Until now I have never been dedicated to doing separate grow-outs so my fry numbers were fairly low. However, now I have a bit more of a system going I am hopefully going to raise up a lot more.

Do you know what your water parameters are including softness and pH? Your tank looked pretty sparsely decorated, it could be that she is just feeling exposed or she could be feeling unwell. It can sometimes be hard to tell.

Velvet seems to be fairly common in wild bettas so maybe just do a check to ensure she hasn't somehow picked that up or ich. It can be difficult with the natural iridescence of these fish.

I would drop a handful of IALs in to make the water really dark (sometimes my wild betta tanks look black haha) and see if you can't find some live foods for her. Blackworms are a favourite of my wilds and you want her to be eating properly if she is feeling a bit under the weather.

Hopefully it is nothing too serious.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #36 
PitGurl

Yep it's the bottom one. He has a thicker body, resembles a plakat. His dorsal has a more rounded shape, and his caudal has straight edges.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #37 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Pitgurl they are awesome ! I am doing a drawing of one for next week Bi-Weekly Newspaper, doing a Fall time picture with the wild type Betta.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #38 
PitGurl

Beautiful Mahachai male on AB right now. Great spade tail and color on him.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...tas&1350125708
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #39 
PitGurl

Built a nest...
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #40 
LittleBettaFish

The pair at my LFS are still there and I was so tempted when I went in the other day. Just have to figure out whether I want to include them in my breeding program.

So instead of them, I got my pair of what I believe are Betta Palangkaraya. Male is absolutely stunning when coloured up and I am crossing my fingers and toes that I have two females to go with him (the pair I meant to pick up previously had one jump out before I got there).

Spent four solid hours sorting my fish room out. Once I move my goldfish downstairs, my rack of 13 tanks will be entirely dedicated to wild bettas. Only have two tanks with splendens now and once they die I will not be replacing them.

Nice bubblenest he's got going there. A much more impressive effort than any of my wilds have done so far haha