Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #391 
LittleBettaFish

For a first-time dad he has been a star. He went and picked up all the eggs that had dropped to the bottom and that had floated away and I think put them back into the film canister. Now he is just spending most of his time sitting under the film canister and making sure no eggs are falling out.

Pretty good considering he was wild-caught, this is his first time spawning and I removed the whole nest from the tank.

Now hoping my uberis and brownorum pairs arrive safe and well on Thursday and I can get some spawning happening with them. Bit nervous as the brownorum are wild-caught and sometimes they can get stress induced velvet so have to have everything perfect.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #392 
LittleBettaFish

Welp I got off my butt and separated my palangkarensis pairs into two different tanks. Was going to put one pair in my 3ft outside tank but even though the day temperatures have been from 25-40 degrees Celsius at night it has been getting down to like 15 degrees. Water was only 17 this morning when I tested it, so think it might be just a little cold for my bettas.

Does anyone else have a problem with their wild bettas glass surfing when they get put into a new tank? All mine do it and I hate watching them just go back and forth all day long. My rutilans were doing it the other day and one of my palangkarensis females is doing it now.

I set up the tanks for my new wilds who should be arriving (fingers crossed) tomorrow.

My old rutilans pair who looked really sick recently are looking like they are going to possibly spawn quite soon and my burdigala male is still guarding his nest although I can't see any tails in there. He has an odd way of guarding the nest in that when he is not in the film canister he is right down in the leaf litter flaring and carrying on.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #393 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post

Does anyone else have a problem with their wild bettas glass surfing when they get put into a new tank? All mine do it and I hate watching them just go back and forth all day long. My rutilans were doing it the other day and one of my palangkarensis females is doing it now.
Yes this happens with my more sensitive fish. One of my albimarginata females will look depressed for days when moved, even to a better tank. I just split my albimarginata community tank into two separate pair tanks to see if that might entice them to spawning. My smaller male Nutmeg is in full dress so it might have worked. Fortunately he's with the less finicky female too. I have a local fish dealer interested in any babies from the albimarginata too so easy homing will be nice.

I finally captured that ocellata fry in the parent tank, I'm pretty sure it was the last one. It's half the size of the babies I moved right away and has some fattening up to do. I *think* that was the last fry I needed to move.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #394 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is Java Moss used in breeding?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #395 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Is Java Moss used in breeding?
Its used to start a culture of infosoria fo the frys
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #396 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That makes sense. Putting it in the tank would help too.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #397 
babystarz

Quote:
That makes sense. Putting it in the tank would help too.
Yes my fry tank is also 75 percent mosses. The fry feel safe and secure hiding in it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #398 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

How do they act?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #399 
babystarz

Quote:
How do they act?
Usually they just stare at me. They are starting to learn that the pipette = food so they get excited when they see it and come out of their hiding spots, but if they get too close to the water flow from the pipette they freak out and zip away faster than you could imagine. I only ever see 2-3 at a time usually, but a few are getting big enough that I can usually spot them.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #400 
LittleBettaFish

It's funny when all of a sudden it's like a light bulb goes off in their heads and they start to associate you with food. My older rutilans (around 1/2 an inch) are just starting to learn a tap on the glass means that food is coming.

My unimaculata fry were mauling my hand yesterday when I put it in as I had forgotten to feed them the day before haha.

I think my burdigala male has either eaten a majority of the eggs or they are infertile/bad. He is still guarding it, but I can't see any tails or any sign of fry. He's been such a dedicated dad I hope he at least gets a couple of fry to raise.