Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #401 
LittleBettaFish

Yay all three of my pairs arrived alive and well. I swear the lady who imports them in treats her fish so well. As soon as my new burdigala pair went into their tank they barred up and starting flaring and chasing each other around.

My uberis pair as so cute and tiny. The male has claimed the hollow log in there as his own. It has seen many rutilans fry in its time so hopefully it sees some uberis as well.

Brownorum are just having a slow explore around their tank. They are wild-caught so a little more reserved than the others.

Means I now have seven species from the coccina complex. Just want to get some coccina to finish up my collection.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #402 
babystarz

Hooray! I'm excited to see your new fish. My shipped pair from Borneo was extremely healthy and active right away too even after a week in a box. Wilds handle it like pros. Domestic Splendens on the other hand, blegh. Never getting another shipped again. Not even from someone here in the USA.

You know how I said I caught the last ocellata fry? Yeah no. I netted six more tonight. I am going to stop pretending I know what's going on. The fry tank total is up to around 30. It's now obvious to me the adults didn't eat a single fry and they were never in any danger. I have heard of this with ocellata pairs but I didn't think it applied to a community tank. I was wrong, they know not to touch a single scale on a baby's head. I think I'm going to put a guppy fry in with them to see if this applies to fry of other species or if they can somehow identify ocellata fry.

The fry that were still in the parent tank are painfully tiny, so it was right to move them because they obviously weren't getting enough food even though I was adding bbs to their tank. They're now feasting on micro worms. I am going to spend most of my free time hovering over the parent tank with a fry net in hand to get any other babies moved. I'm worried if I don't they will starve soon.

Last edited by babystarz; 01-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #403 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah that was how my unimaculata were. I actually saw the mother eating and then spitting out a fry. I think she must have realised it wasn't food. The ones I pulled out of my tank were absolutely tiny. Now I can't tell who is who. They grow pretty fast so hopefully yours do well.

Nothing better than knowing your fish are happy and comfortable enough that they spawn. Especially with the wild-caught ones.

In other news I HAVE BURDIGALA TAILS! Peeked in with my torch just before and my male has a good number of fry up in the film canister with him. So happy that all his hard work has paid off. Now I just need to find room for yet another grow-out.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #404 
babystarz

Woohoo what a great day for you :) So glad you've got some little burdigala!

I am wondering what the water change schedule for my fry tank should be. It has ~7 gallons of water in a 10 gallon tank. It's a heavily planted NPT with MTS and ramshorns. I was previously doing a weekly 25 percent change.

Last edited by babystarz; 01-03-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #405 
LittleBettaFish

When my fry were in with their parents they were getting however many water changes their parents get, which for me, is around 25% every second day.

However, in my fry tanks I do 50% water changes every second day with a very thorough siphoning of the bottoms.

I think like splendens, the growth hormone is still produced by wild betta fry, so you would want to be doing fairly frequent water changes to dilute it.

I am lucky in that are tap water here is exceptionally soft and good quality, so it doesn't bother my fish to be doing so many water changes. Could be different if your tap water is not so good.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #406 
babystarz

Okay, I will probably go for 50 percent changes every 3 days. I think that'll be a good balance between the plants' needs and the babies' needs.

My tap water is hard, but with very helpful minerals for the plants. Mostly iron.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #407 
Chili Padi

[quote=babystarz;1265033]Due to popular demand, I am creating a Wild Species thread so as not to keep clogging up Setsuna's thread in the Breeding forum :)

Who owns or has an interest in wild species? Do you have pics? Baby wild types for sale to others? Looking for breeding stock? Have questions about care? Are you simply looking for more information on these many species?

Resources

Link to IBC Species Management Program page and species index:
http://www.ibcbettas.org/smp/species/index.html

Seriously Fish species profiles (scroll down to the bottom of the page I've linked to see a full list of current species profiles for wild bettas):http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/betta-imbellis/

FAQ

Q: Do wild bettas need the same care as betta splendens?
A: Not necessarily. Many wild betta species prefer slightly cooler temperatures compared to bettas. Actual wild-caught pairs are the hardest to care for, and it's not necessarily ethical to buy them, seeing as over 56 species are identified by the IBC as in need of preservation. Wild bettas who were born and raised in hobbyist aquariums tend to be much easier to care for. Please be SURE to thoroughly research the species you are interested in before you acquire a pair.

Q: Do male wild bettas need to be separated from other fish like betta splendens?
A: Probably not. Many, if not most, wild betta species can be kept in pairs or communities. The general recommendation for most species is a heavily planted 10 gallon tank for a pair and a 30 gallon tank for a community, but this is not a hard and fast rule and breeders have successfully raised fry in smaller settings.

Q: Can wild betta species interbreed with betta splendens?
A: Some can. That is actually how metallic copper genes were introduced to betta splendens. However, because of the vast global spread of betta splendens and the shrinking natural habitat of many wild betta species, interbreeding is not seen as a responsible thing to do. There may come a day soon when the only populations of wild species exist in the hands of aquarists, and maintaining a pure gene pool is needed right now to boost numbers.

Q: Do wild betta species breed the same way as betta splendens?
A: Some of the more closely related species like betta imbellis are bubble nesters just like betta splendens, although the parents don't need to be separate from their fry. Other species are mouthbrooders (the males carry the fertilized eggs in their mouths until the fry hatch).

Q: Aren't wild bettas dull and uninteresting?
A: Not at all! Of course the aesthetic in wild betta species is their natural beauty, which is different from what many betta keepers may be used to. Betta splendens are the yin (artificially selected for exaggerated traits and bright colors) to the wild betta species yang (naturally evolved beauty). This isn't to say there are only muddy colors going on here. This is just a sampling of different species:

Source: IBC species index

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=2802

The link above is a rare species of betta from my country Brunei which was previously thought to be extinct. It is now considered a vulnerable species and has been declared by the Sultan to be illegal in possession. Check out the link for more information and photos about this species.

Last edited by Chili Padi; 01-03-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: wrong link
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #408 
Setsuna

i can get a pair macrostoma for a very cheap price like 15USD from a friend of mine. i see these sell for a massive price that i dont want to pay for ^^ also these are very water sensitive i was told they die easy if not cared for right i guess you can say this fish requires alot of things

Last edited by Setsuna; 01-03-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #409 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I think enough were smuggled out (and they are pretty easy to breed) that captive breeding programs were able to be set up, plus I don't think Brunei is the only place they are found in. This is a quote according to an individual who is quite familiar with wild bettas and is a member of judge of the Australian branch of the IBC.

Quote:
There are many areas in Kalimantan that have wild populations of Macrostoma.
Quote:
The large adults being exported at present are wild caught, from Kalimantan, Indonesia. They tend to be smaller, and darker in the base colour than the Brunei type.
I am getting a pair myself next week that were brought in from our main wholesaler in Australia.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #410 
babystarz

Yep there are plenty of breeding lines in the aquarium trade that I don't think anyone is tempted to procure wild-caught fish illegally. They are usually the most expensive species though.