Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #411 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
i can get a pair macrostoma for a very cheap price like 15USD from a friend of mine. i see these sell for a massive price that i dont want to pay for ^^ also these are very water sensitive i was told they die easy if not cared for right i guess you can say this fish requires alot of things
They are also very difficult for a lot of people to get to spawn unless they have the right water conditions, and they're jumpers. Definitely for the advanced fish and wild betta keeper only.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #412 
LittleBettaFish

The market here in Victoria seems flooded with macrostoma at the moment. A few people keep and breed them and since they are prolific when conditions are right a lot of people have fry or juveniles growing out.

I don't really know if I classify any of the wild betta species as advanced. As long as you do your research and have the conditions right for your species they are pretty easy to care for. I mean I started off with the coccina complex which is supposedly the most difficult care wise and my original pair are still going strong 2 years on. I have learned some valuable lessons on the importance of pH and water quality but apart from that I haven't run into too huge a road blocks.

Probably velvet is really the only thing that can cause problems with the species I like.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #413 
PitGurl

4 week old Guitar fry...
Attached Images

PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #414 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Kind of looks like a Goby.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #415 
babystarz

Those are good points, LBF. I guess I've just heard so many stories about macrostoma not spawning or jumping that I haven't even wanted to think about getting any :P They're beautiful fish but I don't know I'd want to deal with them until I've had wilds for a good while.

Moved 2 more fry today, and spotted another 2. The tinies that have already been moved are eating well and have fat little tummies. I hope they will soon catch up to their siblings in growth. The biggest fry are growing so much every day, I'm a proud fish mom.

I finally got a chance to buy my two new tanks on sale. I have a double stand coming for two 20 gallon Long tanks. I already have everything else I need for them. I saw a 33 gallon Long tank and I was super tempted but I have nowhere to put it.

Pitgirl your fry looks lovely, how big are they at that age?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #416 
LittleBettaFish

This is why I stick with small species. A 25L tank is about all they need for a pair. My rack is 150cm long so I can fit like 5/6 tanks per shelf.

I will let you know how easy/hard macrostoma are when I get mine. I just plan on setting up a barebottom tank with a handful of IAL, floating plants and some mangrove driftwood. Need to get glass cut up to divide my ideii female from my unimaculata male. He had to be separated out into a breeders' net after she did her best Jaws impersonation on him. Think at least some of my unimaculata fry are female so he can have himself a companion hopefully.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #417 
LittleBettaFish

This is my new brownorum male 'hiding' in the leaf litter. I think something is giving him away just a little.

Then my male and female burdigala are showing off all afternoon to each other and this was the best photo I could snap after they see me and my big camera coming (this is the female).

Definitely don't show as much blue/green iridescence as my wild-caught pair.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #418 
Chili Padi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Yeah I think enough were smuggled out (and they are pretty easy to breed) that captive breeding programs were able to be set up, plus I don't think Brunei is the only place they are found in. This is a quote according to an individual who is quite familiar with wild bettas and is a member of judge of the Australian branch of the IBC.

"There are many areas in Kalimantan that have wild populations of Macrostoma."

"The large adults being exported at present are wild caught, from Kalimantan, Indonesia. They tend to be smaller, and darker in the base colour than the Brunei type."

I am getting a pair myself next week that were brought in from our main wholesaler in Australia.
The Macrostoma species are only found on Borneo Island where Brunei and Kalimantan is. Ones found in Kalimantan are not illegal just the ones in Brunei. Yes the ones in Brunei are unique in their colors and size as they can grow up to 11cm compared to their neighboring country Macrostoma. I know few lakes and steams where im from where these Macrostoma are found, but...the area is protected by the forestry dept

Once your pair has arrived please share some pics with us i'd love to see them.
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #419 
LittleBettaFish

They are truly beautiful fish. Especially the males when they are sparring and displaying. Mine appear to be quite young, but hopefully they will fatten up and grow once they arrive here.

Will definitely be taking photos of them to share as at least they are big enough for my camera to focus on unlike most of my wilds haha.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #420 
Leon

Wow. I just read this thread and man do your stories and the beautiful fish you have make me want to have a wild species someday in the far future.
Out of curiosity, have any of you considered building or know of someone who has made an aquarium with living sphagnum moss, a sort of bog aquarium? I've seen several setups that used what I assumed was hardware store bought, and presumably dead, peat moss as a substrate for the bog plants they wanted to grow. But this wouldn't really function as a bog does in nature. It was a neat idea to me because it would mimic the natural habitat and might help maintain the appropriate pH since the plant itself acidifies the water. Thoughts?
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote