Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #441 
Setsuna

My Wild Imbellis male

Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #442 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by efg321 View Post
Wow best wild thread I've found. Returning to hobby have some wild project tanks in mind. Hope you dont mind me barging in. Sure I will have a bunch of questions and hints I can get from y'all....Happy New Year (belated)
We don't mind at all, most of us love a chance to share what we've learned so ask away
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #443 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Good to hear you are okay now Babystarz. Was wondering where you had gone.
That was sweet of you I tend to really get my butt kicked by the flu because it sets off my stomach condition!

Quote:
I'm not sure if my uberis male has eaten his eggs or not. He had them in the log. Then for some inexplicable reason moved them out right to the front in a nest. Now they are gone and he is at the back of the tank with no nest in site. Hopefully he has either hidden them away or has them in his mouth.
Ahhh I don't envy having to deal with a complex that can switch between mouth brooding and bubble nesting Figuring out if they're holding eggs in the first week is tricky.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #444 
dramaqueen
Banned

Pretty cool pics.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #445 
LittleBettaFish

Well I think he ate his eggs. Naughty boy. Either that or they are especially well hidden somewhere.

I also believe my crazy burdigala pair may be spawning soon. The male has been in the film canister working on a nest all afternoon and the female has been swimming around near it. Can't believe how much they tore each other up. My poor male has lost all his beautiful anal fin (not the one in the photo).

I have come to the conclusion that all my persephone fry may be female. They look identical to the adult female in there. Most are still fairly small but none of them have their dad's colouration and I was so hoping to get a male to use for another spawning.

Only a couple of unimaculata fry are also showing male colouration around their cheeks and heads. The rest look very bland. Which is alright since I wanted a female to pair up with my male.

Still deciding when we go to the fish shop to pick up my macrostoma whether to 'rescue' the very pathetic looking pair of Betta strohi that were in last time I checked. They were only young and quite clamped and stressed and I do have a free tank and heater.... heh heh.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #446 
babystarz

Ooh I hope you get the strohi, I would like to see more on that species. I think my betta handbook just has a picture of a dead one :S

I am lucking out with the ocellata fry. They are only 3 weeks old but some of the males are already showing a little patch of iridescence behind the cheek, which is not present in females. I think sexing the larger males will be easy. The small males/large females might give me a bit more trouble though.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #447 
LittleBettaFish

I have owned strohi before. They are beautiful fish (sort of like a bigger coccina complex betta) but could be quite aggressive towards each other. When my male was brooding he would chase the female around quite a bit and pre-spawning their courtship as pretty rough.

This was my original pair in the seller's tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEicMaBotYg

This pair reminds me so much of the strohi juvies I sold to Aus that it makes me sad to see them looking poorly. I love the actual store they are at and the owner is really great to talk to and such, but he has slacked off on the care of his bettas lately and I think my mum is going to give him a lecture soon. So far she has managed to restrain herself but bettas are one of her favourite fish so she hates seeing them treated badly in stores.

I put one of my palangkarensis pairs outside in my 3ft NPT. The whole surface is covered in duckweed so I hope that this will dissuade them from jumping. The tank is also only a 1/4 full and was full of mosquito larvae (and a dragonfly nymph eek) and as soon as they went in the female was happily hunting. I am hoping that either they or the ones in the inside tank spawn soon as they always get me all excited and then nothing happens.

At least it is easier to sex the bigger species once they start developing their adult colour. I just want one female to keep and a couple of pairs to sell with the others.

Are you going to keep any of your ocellata fry or just sell them off?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #448 
efg321

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
We don't mind at all, most of us love a chance to share what we've learned so ask away
Substrate? or not in breeders tanks... I have noticed boiled peat,sand,gravel,leaf litter etc(oak, banana, IAL) in some.

Have 7 tanks (2, 10x2, 15, 20,29, and 75) that have been DRY FOR 10 YRS OH MY! I know a sin right?

Actually thinking Smaragdina, and or Imbellis. Then work into some mouthbrooders unimac, albies., and then and then and then!!!!. but a baby step is fine to start. Ed efg321
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #449 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by efg321 View Post
Substrate? or not in breeders tanks... I have noticed boiled peat,sand,gravel,leaf litter etc(oak, banana, IAL) in some.

Have 7 tanks (2, 10x2, 15, 20,29, and 75) that have been DRY FOR 10 YRS OH MY! I know a sin right?

Actually thinking Smaragdina, and or Imbellis. Then work into some mouthbrooders unimac, albies., and then and then and then!!!!. but a baby step is fine to start. Ed efg321
Some people prefer not to use substrate because water changes are a bit easier, but I do use dirt capped with sand in all my tanks to maintain as natural an environment as possible. It's up to you, and your tap water's parameters. IAL and peat are only necessary if you have a high pH or you're keeping a species that prefers a very low pH.

All those tanks, you're going to have so much fun planning them! Can't wait to see what you do with them Imbellis are a good introduction to wild species, since you won't need to get anything special for them and they're similar to splendens. Most mouthbrooders are pretty easy to keep too.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #450 
babystarz

Quote:

This was my original pair in the seller's tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEicMaBotYg

This pair reminds me so much of the strohi juvies I sold to Aus that it makes me sad to see them looking poorly. I love the actual store they are at and the owner is really great to talk to and such, but he has slacked off on the care of his bettas lately and I think my mum is going to give him a lecture soon. So far she has managed to restrain herself but bettas are one of her favourite fish so she hates seeing them treated badly in stores.
Oh wow they're bigger than I was expecting! Beautiful though! That's too bad about the store owner. Do you think he's just overextended or something? I'd hope the lax care is temporary.

Quote:
I put one of my palangkarensis pairs outside in my 3ft NPT. The whole surface is covered in duckweed so I hope that this will dissuade them from jumping. The tank is also only a 1/4 full and was full of mosquito larvae (and a dragonfly nymph eek) and as soon as they went in the female was happily hunting. I am hoping that either they or the ones in the inside tank spawn soon as they always get me all excited and then nothing happens.
That is so cool! I wish I could have outdoor tanks, but even in the summer here hot days can be paired with cold nights. And it sometimes hails in July just to keep us on our toes. Also I live in a big city and I'm sure some idiot would walk up to the house and bother my fish.

Quote:
Are you going to keep any of your ocellata fry or just sell them off?
I'll try to sell most of them because I'll need the space for more babies, and one of the reasons I'm breeding is to widen the gene pool so I want their genes to be sent all over... but I probably will keep one or two of the prettiest ones since this is my first wild spawn. It's special :P Also the ocellata are some of my favorites aside from the whole constantly trying to eat my fingers thing. It always makes me jump and yell swear words, even if it doesn't hurt