Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #471 
efg321

awaiting the baby pics, haha. Sounds like a plan. Put me down for a pack! Thanks again Ed Efg321
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #472 
LittleBettaFish

And we have palangkarensis fry!!!

They hatched yesterday afternoon so I left the light on dad all night as there were quite a lot. I woke up at 2:30am and he was still picking them up and placing them back in the nest.

I have around 4-5 burdigala fry that reached the free-swimming stage. The rest died which I kind of expected. I think the parents are spawning again though.

I did however, experiment by putting one of the burdigala fry in with the palangkarensis. I came by this morning and it was hanging under the nest with all the others.

Put the film canister in with my brownorum pair and they were under it today so who knows if I have fry on the horizon from them as well.

Then I had this shot I posted on the betta photos section of my uberis male guarding his underwater 'nest'.

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #473 
efg321

babies,babies everywhere!

Way cool! Congrats on the palangkarensis fry and others.......
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #474 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. I think my uberis male still has his eggs down in his hollow log. Wondering if the last lot of eggs might actually have hatched and not been eaten.

The six little burdigala fry seem to be doing well. They are so sensitive as they have just started free-swimming so I gently transferred them over to an empty tank where I could see them better and very slowly dripped in some fresh water to allow the heater to submerse.

Crossing all fingers and toes at least a couple make it past these next few weeks!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #475 
babystarz

Oh my gosh those babies are so precious and tiny!! I don't get to see any of mine that small :P

Speaking of the ocellata fry, they are accepting bbs size (100-200 micron) Golden Pearls now in addition to live bbs. I want to get them used to eating non-live food early so transitioning to pellets won't be a huge step. They are not very excited about the micro worms anymore, they're too small at this point I think. Individual spot patterns and color variations are starting to appear as well. Some of the biggest are half an inch long now. The pipsqueaks are also looking less pathetically tiny compared to their siblings and eating well :)

I will get some more pics and videos of them soon!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #476 
LittleBettaFish

The good thing with the bigger mouthbrooder fry is that they tend to be a lot less fussy about switching over to pellets, and mine also can fit a lot bigger food into their mouth than fry of a comparative size.

It's exciting getting to watch them grow. Nothing beats having homebred fish swimming in your tanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #477 
LittleBettaFish

I feel like I am spamming this thread again haha but I got a couple of shots of my palangkarensis male while he was tending his nest. His female is hiding up under an IAL so hopefully she stays away and doesn't eat anyone before I can move them to a grow-out.

As you can see, a very beautiful species indeed.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #478 
babystarz

I love how shimmery he is :)

Ocellata Babies! Sorry if the picture quality is terrible, it's hard to tell how they will turn out on my tablet:

Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #479 
LittleBettaFish

How old are they now Babystarz? The mouthbrooders go through such a bug-eyed sort of phase when they are young. Channoides and albimarginata fry are the most adorable things ever.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #480 
babystarz

Haha I bet, even the adults are a bit bug eyed! The fry are 3 weeks old now. I just realized today that they have their ventral fins, I'm so proud of them! You can also see on the lower left corner of the last 2 pics that the boys are getting some iridescence in their tails. I think this spawn is very male-heavy, which is pretty common I hear.

Last edited by babystarz; 01-17-2013 at 02:45 PM.