Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #41 
PitGurl

I've found new homes for almost all my splendens. I'll be keeping only two of them, a pair of HM's I got from Karen Mac Auley. I had plans to spawn them but they're almost a year old so now they're just pets. I'll probably always have one splenden but my goal now is going to be working with the guitar smaragdina.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #42 
LittleBettaFish

Also yay, my dominant pair of brownorum are trying to spawn under their IAL. Hopefully I can pluck dad out while he is holding the eggs in his mouth and have him release them into a separate tank so I can grow out some fry this time around.

I got bored of splendens and they were always doing goofy stuff like randomly dying or getting into fights or tail biting. Too much hassle.

One of my tussyae males survived in a bucket of cold dirty tank water with a big pile of sharp gravel and spare parts from a filter for several days until I realised he was there.

Had a big gash down his side and was very sad looking but now I can't even tell who it was.

Can't beat that for hardiness haha
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #43 
PitGurl

Oh and I ment I've rehomed most my domestic splendens, since my smaragdina are still in the splendens complex .
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #44 
LittleBettaFish

No worries, I knew what you meant. Usually when I say splendens I mean domesticated splendens. If I was talking about smaragdina etc. I use their species name and if I was talking about non-domesticated splendens I would use the word wild to clarify.

Are you planning on introducing your pair soon?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #45 
RichardA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Very nice photo. One of the main sellers of wild bettas here in Australia had a rubra pair up for sale. They are beautiful fish and I was tempted.

Had any luck with breeding them or do you just have a female?
Had a spawn and I believe dad munched

Male found the one tiny opening where the airline came in and jumped. Lost female in a move........looking to get another pair asap!
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #46 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah mouthbrooders can be annoying when they are getting the hang of it. I thought my unimaculata male had eaten his first lot of eggs until I found some fry at the bottom of the tank.

Shame you lost the male. Wilds are such awful jumpers. I swear they find the one single opening no matter how small and get through it. I have probably lost at least ten fish to jumping even when I take as many precautions as I can.

Just realised you lost the female as well. Ouch. I hate when that happens.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #47 
PitGurl

Yes, I'll probably introduce them on Monday since I'm off work and can fish sit them.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #48 
LittleBettaFish

Good luck with your prospective spawn.

Meanwhile I took some photos of my new betta (hopefully male/female pair). They are still very shy and hate the light being put over them so I tempted them out with some white worms.

You can see why they were sold as "Green neon ninja".

What I think is the female

Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #49 
babystarz

I've been working a ton this week so I haven't had a chance to post, but I love looking at all your pics :)

My 3 albimarginata arrived today and I didn't have their tank planted yet so I put them in my heavily planted 6 gallon, they love it. I don't know if I even want to move them now. They are as curious as the imbellis are. The seller couldn't guarantee sex because they're juveniles, but I'm almost positive I've got two males and a female, which is the ideal ratio for them. This way the males can trade off spawning and neither will starve XD

The female smaragdina is fine, I caught her out in the open today when I walked into the room. She's gorgeous and fully colored up now, even though the water is nearly black from IAL I could see the metallic green on both fish.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #50 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. I really like this complex of bettas. They are just such firecrackers personality wise and absolutely stunning to look at.

Good news about your smaragdina. I find with wilds, the darker the water, the better the colouration they will show. You think it would be opposite, but in my experience the colours are just so much richer in tannin heavy water.