Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #561 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah our tapwater here is one of the best in the world. It has 0 KH coming out of the tap and my wilds thrive in it. Makes it so much easier than having to go through the hassle of using rain or RO water.

I was lucky in that my second cousin's wife has diabetes, and she is trialing a medication that is light sensitive and needed to be kept in what is essentially a film canister. It's funny to think how common film canisters used to be back in the dim, dark ages when all cameras used film.

I get some of my wilds through Xtrembetta. I believe he has burdigala, brownorum, uberis and rutilans, and all of mine from him have been male/female pairs. He is also really nice to deal with, and all of my fish from him have been healthy and of breeding quality.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #562 
LittleBettaFish

Finally my burdigala fry are big enough to be photographed!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #563 
Setsuna

FINALLY!!!!! my Siamorientalis is here. My thai friends sent me 2 Pairs and 2 Extra males next shipment hes sending me 4 more pairs free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ajOH...ature=youtu.be
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #564 
LittleBettaFish

Stunning fish! It's good that at least some pure ones are in the hands of hobbyists where hopefully their future can be secured.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #565 
Setsuna

Betta Siamorientalis

Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #566 
efg321

beautiful fish, enjoy, thanks for the pictures!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #567 
bethyMT

I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere...I can't seem to find it.

My question: I love the wild species bettas, and would like to have some in the future. Is it ethical to keep wild species as purely pets, not necessarily for breeding? Is it in some way contributing to thier demise in the wild to not breed them?

I just don't think I'm cut out for breeding bettas. Or anything else. But I think I could provide a good home for a few wilds. Would this be OK, or should I just stick with splendens?

Just something I'm thinking about for the future. My current bettas are quite young and I'm looking forward to a good few years with them first.

Thanks for your insight. I just don't want to think about doing the wrong thing.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #568 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere...I can't seem to find it.

My question: I love the wild species bettas, and would like to have some in the future. Is it ethical to keep wild species as purely pets, not necessarily for breeding? Is it in some way contributing to thier demise in the wild to not breed them?

I just don't think I'm cut out for breeding bettas. Or anything else. But I think I could provide a good home for a few wilds. Would this be OK, or should I just stick with splendens?

Just something I'm thinking about for the future. My current bettas are quite young and I'm looking forward to a good few years with them first.

Thanks for your insight. I just don't want to think about doing the wrong thing.
you can keep them as pets it doesn't matter. If your looking to get wild bettas from the splenden complex group they required the same care as a splenden only but if your looking to get some other betta complex group im not so sure about the others ones because some are water sensitive
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #569 
LittleBettaFish

Mine are all pets first and foremost. I have groups of fish that I bred and have never spawned and I still get just as much enjoyment out of owning them.

Many species will come up as endangered in the wild, but are secure in the hands of hobbyists. Most of the species are endangered because of habitat loss, not because they are being wild-caught for the trade.

Like Setsuna said, depending on what species you are interested in, their care requirements can differ. The blog in my signature covers the care requirements, and difference in care, for coccina complex bettas vs the domesticated form of Betta splendens.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #570 
LittleBettaFish

Just spamming this thread now with pictures of my fry and some of my older fish.

Betta burdigala (wild-caught parents)

Betta uberis

Betta palangkarensis

Betta uberis (in tank with parents)

Betta burdigala (in tank with parents)

Betta persephone

Betta unimaculata (I think I have a lot of males in here with maybe one-two females)

Betta rutilans (just moved into their new 10 gallon grow-out)

As you can see I have my hands pretty full at the moment. Have been giving my BBS hatchery and grindal worm cultures a work-out.