Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #581 
Catie79

I've learned a sharp lesson about stressing these wilds. I made a mistake two months ago with introducing a couple of peaceful but boisterous fish to my community that included betta imbellis, and even though I removed them when I realized it wasn't going to work, I lost the last of my original 8 yesterday. Something went through the tank like wildfire. I've got my two remaining imbellis juvies sitting in a 5 gallon where I can monitor them closely.

It's so weird, I lost all 8 imbellis with similar symptoms, but it didn't touch any of the cories or the pleco. The cories are as fat and happy as ever. The juvies that were added after the busy fish were removed also seem fine. Makes me suspect that the imbellis were stressed, immune systems went down, and something took them out. Nothing stresses my cory school. Ever. It looks like my two survivors are a male/female pair, so I'm going to keep them somewhere quiet and entirely on their own to see if they'll take to each other. My 40g will just house killis for awhile while I figure out what the heck happened.

Species only tanks for these beauties from here on out (except cories, no one ever minds cories).
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #582 
LittleBettaFish

Shame to hear that you lost nearly all your imbellis. Mine are all in species only set-ups because of the conditions they thrive in and because I want them to spawn. I always advocate species only set-ups for wilds as I think they just do best in these.

Have you ever attempted to spawn any of your imbellis or was it more of a if spawning happens it happens type thing?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #583 
Catie79

It was more of a 'if it happens' sort of thing. I enjoyed watching the natural behavior with the group. Three males, five females, and a lot of cover made for interesting viewing. The boys would hang out together until a female showed up in breeding colors, then it was all posturing and amazing colors. I have my fingers crossed that these two will thrive in their specialized solo set up and I'll have my first spawn.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #584 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I've found that the wilds will show off better in a group setting, but tend not to want to spawn as much unless the group consists of a pair and their juvenile/adult offspring.

Good luck with your two. Imbellis are nice little fish and hopefully something happens now it's just the two of them.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #585 
Catie79

The duo seem quite content in their new digs. The tank was heavily influenced by Littlebettafish's setups, even though these guys are splendens complex. Leaf litter, pile of rocks for hidey holes, a couple anubias and plastic plants, a ton of pennywort floating, diffused lighting, tannin stained water. Looks like my calculations were a bit off since the water was a bit too dark this morning. I've got them at weak tea right now.

Terrible, terrible picture but the settings that make betta happy don't make for stellar pictures.

Now I wait for them to grow up and see if I'm right that it's a pair or if the 'female' is a juvenile male. I haven't seen any sign of posturing or aggression, just hanging out together and some showing off from the one I know is male, so I'm still hopeful.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #586 
efg321

My Imbellis and Smaragdina enjoy the same type set ups. Some with gravel, some without. I also rely on guppy grass and java moss(sometimes the java moss wall-clump makes for happy hiding as well)...Hope it turns out you have a pair left. I agree happy betta water makes for lousy pics. My favorite nano tank was started w/ "muck" and water from New Jersey cedar swamp/ Pine Barrens.
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #587 
LittleBettaFish

Sharing some pictures of my Betta burdigala family. Have fry/juveniles of all ages living with their mum and dad. Going to move them into a 10 gallon tank in the next couple of days because they are outgrowing their current one.

A very small sibling

Full coloured male juvenile

What I am hoping is a young female

Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #588 
GhostFeather

So,Grapvine twigs,etc are ok to use?
Thanks
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #589 
LittleBettaFish

We get wood called goldvine here. That is what I use in my wild species tanks. I have no idea if it is the same thing or not.

I have heard some people caution against using grapevine in case any pesticides have been sprayed on it. But that's about it.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #590 
Setsuna

My other male splenden and 2 females

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxVvwqRHQHk
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote